E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Seafoamed the Bimmer

06-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
SDemetris
FSAE Dude

Drives: E90 328xi

Seafoamed the Bimmer

Like the title says, being bored during my last real week of summer vacation I decided to do some cleaning on my car. I had about a half tank of gas and added 1/2 bottle of seafoam liquid to the tank. I then drove to autozone to pick up a spray can of seafoam for the intake and get the car up to temp. When I got back home, I took out my MAF sensor and cleaned it. While it was out I had a friend keep the engine at around 1500 RPM while I put the tube of the seafoam in the MAF sensor hole and sprayed a little over half the bottle at the throttle body. After I did it to my car, I tried to do the same thing to my Dad's which is also an E90 N52 car, but his would not rev without the MAF plugged in and actually got an error code when I tried to do it. But anyways. I waited about a half hour, made myself a smoothie, then turned it on after plugging the MAF sensor back in. It turned on really smoothly which i didnt expect. Then nothing happened for like 30 seconds, just a pretty normal idle. I then tried to rev the engine and it fluttered to about 2.5k then dropped and the smoke started pouring out. After this the can suggests to drive around "aggressively" which I was more than happy to do. After about 10-15 minutes of balls-to-the-walls driving on some back roads, the smoke stopped and i went home. When I pulled in the garage, the radiator fan was on, but that makes sense since the seafoam makes the engine run hotter

Changes: not too many I guess. Engine is still smooth, like an N52 should be. Exhaust may be a bit louder, but not much at all. Havent had enough time to see if my MPG has changed at all. There was a lot of smoke that came out so I have to assume that something is cleaner in my engine/exhaust. Besides that, I had no troubles and not really a big difference as of yet. If something gets noticeably better or worse I'll post it, but I figured I would let people know how things went so far since I saw on another thread people were wondering about this and seemed generally sort of hesitant.

1985 Gazelle Beige 325e: Nursing it back to health from PO negligence.. Soon to be track car.

Last edited by SDemetris; 06-20-2013 at 07:54 PM.
      06-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
willsull80
Push the skinny pedal granny this is a DE!

Drives: 2009 328i Coupe Sport package

I put seafoam in my wife's e46 and it cleaned it up a bit. But it has 180,000 miles so its broken in like a 90 year old hooker. It did help smooth up the idle though.

willsull80 is offline   United_States
      07-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
saeng
Lieutenant

Drives: e90

We don't need it for are n52 engine.. I'm at 163.xxx miles now.. My starter went out at 150.xxx.. I had to take out the intake manifold to get to the starter.. And when look into the it.. It was really clean.. So I can say n52 don't need it,.
      07-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
cdgatti
Major

Drives: e90 328i

Since the N52 doesn't have direct injection or turbocharging, the intake and entry side of the valves only sees clean air and misting fuel, which acts a cleaner itself, so no real need for all this with the n52. Techron is all that is really needed to keep your fuel injectors spraying a nice pattern.
      07-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Volasko
Major

Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP

Garage List
I did this on my car which had about 150,000 kms (93,000 mi) and found very minimal smoke come out of my exhaust. I dumped ALOT of spray foam and still no smoke. I read somewhere that due to my 3-stage intake manifold that only a few cylinder actually sees the foam. Either way it seems like you had a similar experience with the stuff.
Volasko is offline   Canada
      07-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
TD27

Drives: 2008 335xi 6Mt Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I've got an 08 335xi with about 110,000K on it, and I've been wanting to use seafoam. I've got a friend who warned me not to use seafoam ever. I don't really believe him, but do you guys know any adverse effects of using it? Besides the white bellows of smoke.
TD27 is offline   United_States
      07-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain

Drives: E92

Use the "correct" vacuum line else it might break something .....
      07-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
SDemetris
FSAE Dude

Drives: E90 328xi

Tell me where they are on an n52 and I'll listen to you