E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Going to Nurburgring tomorrow, any tips?

07-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Nate4641
Captain

Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Going to Nurburgring tomorrow, any tips?

I'm going to Nurburburgring tomorrow and renting a car to drive the track. I'm looking for a little first hand experience from anyone about the track. I've been watching videos and playing Gran Turismo to get an idea of the track layout so I'm at least not as surprised by all the blind turns and obviously I wont be going hard on the first lap. Is there any specific part of the track anyone has had issues with or has tips for?

I've seen that on tourist days like tomorrow that in-car filming is prohibited, but people obviously still do it. How does the track actually enforce this? It seems like it would be really easy to pop a camera on at the beginning of a run and take it down right before getting off the track. I get the whole idea that the track doesn't want footage of crazy wrecks going online, thats bad publicity, but I still want to record what could be my only trip to the 'Ring.

I'm renting the Toyota GT86 since its the fastest in my price range, and an actual stick shift.
2007 ///M Roadster Interlagos Blue & Dark Beige top over Light Sepang extended leather - 19in Morr VS8.2--RPI exhaust--AFE Intake--DKF Hangers--Vibra Technics Engine Mounts--Cosmos Firewall Braces--BMW Strut Brace--Tekarbon CF Engine Cover--Aero Side Skirts--F10 M5 Knob--LeatherZ Mk4 Armrest--SmartTOP Roof Controller--Zeckhausen Racing CDV--DansDecals Reflector Decals--Clutch Stop--LED Trunk Light--Stubby Antenna
Nate4641 is offline   United_States
      07-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Joekerr
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Awesome!

No tips sorry, I just think that's really exciting. Maybe someone else will have some actual experience - have a blast!
      07-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
1LRM3
Lieutenant

Drives: LRP M3 E92

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [4.00]
super! get us some pictures afterwards enjoy the ring!!!

EPIC MOTORSPORTS
AutoCouture Motoring
Custom Auto Designs Paint Protection Films
1LRM3 is offline   United_States
      07-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Not first hand but i heard staying on the pavement is good and keeping one eye on your mirrors is a must.

Have a blast!!

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      07-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Nate4641
Captain

Garage List
Save your pennies gents, that track is worth a trip to Germany!

The car I rented was pretty nice. It had 200hp, a roll bar, racing brakes, racing suspension, R comp tires, and the handling was excellent. The tires definitely helped a ton for grip. If I had been in my car I would have gone off the track easily. The traction control was working pretty hard and make my laps a little slower than they could have been, but also probably saved me from crashing a number of times. I got video with my GoPro so I'll post some up later when I get them up on youtube. The track marshals didn't seem to care about the cameras, a lot of people had them mounted to the outside of the car.

Playing Gran Turismo and watching youtube videos helped with knowing what corners were coming up, but NONE of them really prepare you for how steep some of those hills really are and how blind a lot of cresting corners are. One of the guys I work with keeps teasing me asking why I would pay all that money to drive the track when I can play it on GT5, but it just does not compare. If you have the means to go, start planning a trip.
2007 ///M Roadster Interlagos Blue & Dark Beige top over Light Sepang extended leather - 19in Morr VS8.2--RPI exhaust--AFE Intake--DKF Hangers--Vibra Technics Engine Mounts--Cosmos Firewall Braces--BMW Strut Brace--Tekarbon CF Engine Cover--Aero Side Skirts--F10 M5 Knob--LeatherZ Mk4 Armrest--SmartTOP Roof Controller--Zeckhausen Racing CDV--DansDecals Reflector Decals--Clutch Stop--LED Trunk Light--Stubby Antenna
      07-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Nate4641
Captain

Garage List

This is my 3rd lap. still working on uploading the rest

Last edited by Nate4641; 07-15-2013 at 01:32 PM.
      07-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
Save your pennies gents, that track is worth a trip to Germany!

The car I rented was pretty nice. It had 200hp, a roll bar, racing brakes, racing suspension, R comp tires, and the handling was excellent. The tires definitely helped a ton for grip. If I had been in my car I would have gone off the track easily. The traction control was working pretty hard and make my laps a little slower than they could have been, but also probably saved me from crashing a number of times. I got video with my GoPro so I'll post some up later when I get them up on youtube. The track marshals didn't seem to care about the cameras, a lot of people had them mounted to the outside of the car.

Playing Gran Turismo and watching youtube videos helped with knowing what corners were coming up, but NONE of them really prepare you for how steep some of those hills really are and how blind a lot of cresting corners are. One of the guys I work with keeps teasing me asking why I would pay all that money to drive the track when I can play it on GT5, but it just does not compare. If you have the means to go, start planning a trip.
+1

I have done European Delivery in my '08 335i and my current '11 135i, took both cars on the Ring. Playing GT and watching videos may give you a general sense of the track's layout and size but nothing can prepare you for the visceral feeling of flying over a hill mid corner, sudden dips that unload all 4 tires and negotiating past slower cars, while getting obliterated by faster cars.

To the OP, just take a couple easy laps to familiarize yourself with it and slowly turn it up as you get more comfortable. As Mr Tonka said, do check your rear view once in a while so you know what is coming up on you. Signal and move to the right to allow faster cars to pass safely. Just try to have fun and don't focus too much on setting a lap record.
      07-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
supLOL
Banned

Drives: "Daddy-bought" E89 Z4

Wait, if you can't redline a new car, how do you have any fun at the Nurburgring during ED?
      07-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
Kong Sheng Han
First Lieutenant

Drives: TiAg/Black E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ4K
Wait, if you can't redline a new car, how do you have any fun at the Nurburgring during ED?
Same thoughts..

2001 M3 Coupe TiAg/Black
PSS10 Coilovers | Turner Camber Plates | Lowe's Clutch Stop | Alcantara Shift/E-Brake Boot | BMW Performance Shift Knob | LED Tail Lights | Clear Front Reflectors | Headers with a Leak | Two New Rear Bumpers | 219M Wheels Coming Soon |
Kong Sheng Han is offline   United_States
      07-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Awesome!! Glad you had a good time!

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      07-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
JasonCSU
Colonel

Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
Playing GT certainly helps, but the elevation changes also caught me off guard when I went as well.
      07-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
Nate4641
Captain

Garage List

This is my 5th lap. Put the camera in a different angle so you can see me driving. I probably should have put the camera on the passenger window so you could see more out of the front. It doesnt help that you cant see the cars that wouldn't let me pass, but you can see me get frustrated with them a couple times. For not having much track experience and driving a car I've never been in, I'm pretty happy with my sub 10 minute times.

The track was a blast and I can't recommend enough that everyone tries to go at least once in their life. I don't know if I would want to drive my own car around it, especially hard. I really don't know if I would want to drive a brand new car I got on ED around either, but at least the car I rented was worth the price.

If you were getting a BMW on ED and went to the ring, its about 350 miles between Munich and Nurburg. Theres also a ton of stuff to do on the way so you would probably put at least 500 miles on the car before getting to Nurburg if you made stops. That may not be enough to fully break in an engine, but its better than taking it there with <100 miles right out of the show room.

I'm still working on photos. I only saw 1 Ferrari (430) and a McLaren (MP4-12C) ON the track. There were a couple of Lambos on the roads and on display around the area. Also a couple of R8s, some GTRs. And just tons and tons of Porsches, especially GT3s, and more M3s than I could count. Even if I didn't drive the track, it was awesome seeing all those cars out there.
      07-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #13
DOCTOR 3VIL
Private First Class

Drives: E46 M3

Great driving. I was there last summer. Nurburgring is a must at least once in your lifetime if you are a gear head. Had a blast driving in my rented Suzuki Swift. Slow as fack but it served the purpose. Will definitely go back some day.
DOCTOR 3VIL is offline   United_States
      07-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
Nate4641
Captain

Garage List
Heres some of the photos. I'm pulling these from facebook so they're a little big. If you have a problem with them going off screen hold CTRL and scroll down to adjust the zoom of your browser.

This is the car I rented. Toyota GT-86

Here are a selection of some of the cars parked outside the entrance to the track. Check out some of the license plates, people drove a long way to get there.

Heres some photos of cars on the track. My buddy who came with me was pretty hungover so we didn't stay too long. We also only stayed in this one spot which kind of sucked because of the fence and wires. We found a better spot as we were leaving, but we were both too exhausted to stay and take more photos.

[IMG]http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1073085_101520901*****498_668674711_o.jpg[/IMG]

Heres a few of some stuff outside of the Info Center part of the 'Ring. There was some kind of truck racing going on at the Grand Prix track so there was a big crowd around.

I've never seen a bike like this, but I want one.
      07-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
donovan
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package

First, those photos are the biggest photos I have seen in my entire thread searching life...

and take it easy one step at a time.

e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
donovan is offline   Germany
      07-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
JasonCSU
Colonel

Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I was not expecting to see that C3 'vette in there.
      07-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
Bakeme521
Some say...

Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.04]
Damn you already, I was gonna say DON'T do this. Looks like it was a blast tho, very very jealous. Skip to 1:00, trust me it's worth it.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Bakeme521 is offline   United_States
      07-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #18
supLOL
Banned

Drives: "Daddy-bought" E89 Z4

That's why you don't take a CR-V on the 'ring.
      07-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan View Post
First, those photos are the biggest photos I have seen in my entire thread searching life...

and take it easy one step at a time.
Pro tip: Hold Control button keyboard
Scroll down until pictures are reasonable size

Reverse process when done viewing

I thought the Ring Taxi was kaput?

Last edited by Z4inAZ; 07-16-2013 at 07:29 PM.
      07-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
Nate4641
Captain

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ View Post

I thought the Ring Taxi was kaput?
Nope, and they had a long line for it too. From what I have heard you have to book it a very long time in advance too. Those guys were screamin around the track too, they have to go through tires like crazy.