E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Stolen BMW

07-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #23
Kuroblack
Private
Rep

Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Cars ARE being nicked with the security update. Reason being the update has done nothing to stop it.
No disrespect intended at all, but you'll need to back that up with something definitive. At the moment all it does is freak people out who needn't be. Are you saying that post September 2011 cars are still being taken?

For those wanting more understanding, pop over to Pistonheads and view the absolutely massive thread in the BMW section, but be warned; whilst there are some great, useful pieces of info, most of it is rumour, assumption and just plain old BS. A chap called Mr Bimmer posts some excellent stuff, he appears to be a BMW tech - his posts about the CAS module are worth a read.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #24
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

after reading some of your other threads I was shocked that you fitted a viper alarm and removed the door locks and your car was STILL stolen, but then I re-read your post. It wasn't YOUR car that was stolen it was someone elses.

I frequent that area where the car was stolen, sad news. Theres loads of CCTV cameras lurking about there hopefully the car will be traced.

Putting pictures up on here of the car will help much better because with everyone driving about if we spot something similar parked up on our journeys we'll take more notice.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #25
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
1. ALL BMWs with push button start are impacted by the security issue, NOT just 07 onwards
2. ALL the security fix does is stop the remote window up/down feature, therefore - the car can still be stolen in a number of ways.
...Break glass
...Block lock signal with a VHF sender or similar

As soon as the person is in the car, the doors can be unlocked. This disables the immobiliser before the key has gone anywhere near the dash. You can then do any coding whatseover to the car without implication.

According to the spec of the original "security fix" post watchdog; The only safe method to secure your car against this theft, which the security fix does nothing meaningful to circumvent due to the immobiliser still being deactivated as soon as the car is open, is to stop people being able to communicate with your car at all. I have done so by removing the OBDII port. A pain for servicing (having to reinstall it every time) but worth the peace of mind.

The only thing I can't comment on is what (if any) changes have been made with any revisions to the security fix. However, a well known Heathrow based dealer told me just 6 weeks ago that all the fix did was disable the one touch window, so they certainly weren't aware of any changes to improve things.

A good intermediary fix would be to NOT allow the coding of cars direct via OBD. To achieve this would mean not storing the body of known keys within the CAS system so that keys couldn't be cloned (which, although this is where I am not certain: Is I believe the method used, rather than writing a new key from scratch? But I am not certain as said on this part)

Dave

Last edited by MEGA; 07-15-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #26
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroblack View Post
No disrespect intended at all, but you'll need to back that up with something definitive. At the moment all it does is freak people out who needn't be. Are you saying that post September 2011 cars are still being taken?

For those wanting more understanding, pop over to Pistonheads and view the absolutely massive thread in the BMW section, but be warned; whilst there are some great, useful pieces of info, most of it is rumour, assumption and just plain old BS. A chap called Mr Bimmer posts some excellent stuff, he appears to be a BMW tech - his posts about the CAS module are worth a read.
I'm not sure how sensible it is to have all of this information widely documented and available online: However, as so much of it already is - I have replied with some thoughts now above..
      07-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #27
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

isn't there two locations on the car to access the system?
Supposed to be under the bonnet.
You don't need the OBD port so much.

Last edited by TripleBlack; 07-15-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #28
Kuroblack
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure how sensible it is to have all of this information widely documented and available online: However, as so much of it already is - I have replied with some thoughts now above..
Thanks - appreciated

What's your view on this thread on PH?

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...keys&mid=94435

Chap seems to be suggesting that the security update also defeats the cloning of keys without the orginal present?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #29
Kuroblack
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargingbear View Post
I have been too busy last few days to post regarding this. My car did have the update and that is why I have wrote to bmw demanding that they pay for my new key and updated CAS.
At the risk of sounding a bit thick - how would that help? In particular the 'updated CAS' bit - I thought your car already had the updated CAS module?

I'm under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that post update (and post Septmber 2011 build) keys cannot be coded without originals present.

See here; http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...keys&mid=94435
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #30
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i E92 6MT

BMW's security update won't do anything to stop them.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849292
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #31
chargingbear
Private
Rep

Drives: E91 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargingbear View Post
I have been too busy last few days to post regarding this. My car did have the update and that is why I have wrote to bmw demanding that they pay for my new key and updated CAS.
At the risk of sounding a bit thick - how would that help? In particular the 'updated CAS' bit - I thought your car already had the updated CAS module?

I'm under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that post update (and post Septmber 2011 build) keys cannot be coded without originals present.

See here; http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...keys&mid=94435
A precaution that is needed in case my current key has been cloned. Better to have a new key working with updated cas and for the thief to have to clone a new one than to walk upto the car unlock with cloned key an drive away.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #32
Frobius
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 330d M-Sport

Garage List
Rather than a new cas, surely it's cheaper to get them to wipe the existing keys and issue new ones?

That said I seem to remember someone else trying the same and the dealer being unable to remove the cloned key entry in the cas as it was basically corrupt.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #33
Kuroblack
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_master View Post

Can we prove that though?

Not sure what the link is trying to tell me - it looks like bloke thought his car was updated, it wasn't - he then spends 600 on aftermarket alarm..?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #34
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Drives: 08' 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroblack View Post

Not sure what the link is trying to tell me - it looks like bloke thought his car was updated, it wasn't - he then spends 600 on aftermarket alarm..?
It wasn't the OPs car that was stolen, it was his friend's that he posted on behalf of.

No idea why he posted the thread for help when he hasn't come back for any updates.

Seems a little odd.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #35
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Drives: 08' 335i Coupe

How many cars are stolen in broad daylight from a busy pub carpark?

There isn't any clue to how the car was stolen either.

You'd think the OP would make a better effort after only logging in after months away just to post that little scare with nothing more.

Somebody told me that when a car is stolen, the insurance company will remove it from the motor insurance database so it flags up as uninsured/stolen.

The car still shows up as being insured.

So hasn't it been removed from the MID, was the car recovered later explaining why the OP hasn't even been back to check the thread, or has the OP copied something that has turned out not to be correct?

I know a guy who reported his car stolen. Turned out he had left it elsewhere.

The police found it hilarious and said it was the best thieves they had ever come across. They had parked the car well, locked it and didn't even touch his CDs.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #36
Shere
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e92 325i SE Auto (2007)

Quote:
1. ALL BMWs with push button start are impacted by the security issue, NOT just 07 onwards
2. ALL the security fix does is stop the remote window up/down feature, therefore - the car can still be stolen in a number of ways.
...Break glass

As soon as the person is in the car, the doors can be unlocked. This disables the immobiliser before the key has gone anywhere near the dash. You can then do any coding whatseover to the car without implication.

According to the spec of the original "security fix" post watchdog; The only safe method to secure your car against this theft, which the security fix does nothing meaningful to circumvent due to the immobiliser still being deactivated as soon as the car is open, is to stop people being able to communicate with your car at all. I have done so by removing the OBDII port. A pain for servicing (having to reinstall it every time) but worth the peace of mind.

The only thing I can't comment on is what (if any) changes have been made with any revisions to the security fix. However, a well known Heathrow based dealer told me just 6 weeks ago that all the fix did was disable the one touch window, so they certainly weren't aware of any changes to improve things.

A good intermediary fix would be to NOT allow the coding of cars direct via OBD. To achieve this would mean not storing the body of known keys within the CAS system so that keys couldn't be cloned (which, although this is where I am not certain: Is I believe the method used, rather than writing a new key from scratch? But I am not certain as said on this part)

Dave
Great post. How have you removed the port?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #37
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_master View Post

I was addressing cars pre 2011 really but I'm sure their update for newer cars won't do much either.

I know that we want BMW to resolve this and that's certainly what we should be concentrating on, but this isn't going to be resolved quickly. In the meantime, you can add the security I linked you to, or you can risk having your car stolen while BMW faff about.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #38
Broken_Gearbox
Captain
Rep

Drives: E92

Thanks to all that replied. No sign of the owner joining the thread. Thought I would get the word out quickly but I've had no PM's either. Tried to contact the owner to see if there was any joy in finding the vehicle but no response either. Left it to the owner to upload photos.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #39
Shaun69
Private
Rep

Drives: 335d

Quote:
...Break glass

Dave

WHAT HE SAID

Researched this after getting the update and its completely useless.
Viper pager stand alone system is the safest option on the market.
Appreciate 0