E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Removing dust from cabin air?

07-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
nkaschwarzkopf

Drives: 2007 328xi

Removing dust from cabin air?

So over the past few months I've noticed a TON of dust and pollen accumulating in the interior of the car and regardless of how religiously I vacuum the car, it never seems to disappear. Does anyone have any tips/methods/products they know of to get rid of this??
      07-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
mg4734
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

sounds like you need a new cabin filter
      07-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
nkaschwarzkopf

Just got a new one a few months ago at the service center
      07-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
TOGWT
Captain

Drives: 630i

Remove it, clean it and then replace it.If this doesn't cure the pollen problem replace with a different filter
TOGWT is offline   United_States
      07-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
FI PETE
Banned

Drives: Black 328i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaschwarzkopf View Post
So over the past few months I've noticed a TON of dust and pollen accumulating in the interior of the car and regardless of how religiously I vacuum the car, it never seems to disappear. Does anyone have any tips/methods/products they know of to get rid of this??
is the dust and or pollen coming out of the a/c vents? do you drive with your windows down? do you leave the sunroof open at times to allow the heat to escape?
FI PETE is offline   United_States
      07-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
tony20009
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Well, what you should do depends on what's causing the majority of the dust's arrival inside your car. If you are leaving the widows/sunroof open, there's likely nothing you can do about it if you aren't of a mind to alter that habit. If it's being forced into the car via the ventilation system, it could be the air filter needs replacing or cleaning (if that can be done).

You can most likely determine which it is -- if you have any doubt that it may be due to open windows -- by cleaning the interior and then driving with the air recirculation feature of your ventilation system. Over whatever period of time it typically takes for you to notice the dust buildup you'll either observe about the same quantity of dust appearing again or you won't.

I can offer that I smoke, and so I never use the air recirculation features (except in special, short term circumstances such as driving through a tunnel); I mostly use the a/c with fresh air coming through. I certainly drive with the windows down to keep the smoke from lingering inside the car. Though I'm not dust/neatness obsessed, I don't think anyone would deem my car laden with dust. Generally, I have my car washed and the interior cleaned about every week to ten days, and that's all that's needed.

I don't know if or when my air filter was replaced, but if it has been, I know I didn't do it deliberately. My car is just coming off it's extended warranty and maintenance period, so it's quite possible that the BMW service folks have replaced one or more air filters over the years.

I imagine you don't have OCD with regard to dust either, but I can't rule out that possibility either. Do you have the same problem inside your home? Your office? Other folks' homes and offices? If you are OCD about dust, take comfort, for cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Best of luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
      07-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
nkaschwarzkopf

Thanks for the help guys!

I got the air filter housing apart and found it coated with pollen and other debris. Haven't noticed any dust floating around a cabin since I vacuumed it out.
      07-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Surly73
Captain

Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem

Delete.
Surly73 is offline   Canada