E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Another wonderful Comfort Access trick

01-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
tonyobrien
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 320d SE

Garage List
Another wonderful Comfort Access trick

Yesterday, I forgot my phone in the house. I had the car running and was out on the road. I needed to quickly run in and get my phone.

Normally, I would have to turn off the engine, get out of the car, lock it, go to the house, unlock the car, get in, turn the key, start the engine again

Well, I discovered that with comfort access, I can leave the engine running step out of the car and lock it by pressing on the door handle grooves.

I am now doing this when I run into the shop etc. etc. I saves so much hassle being able to leave the engine running and lock the car and I'm sure it will reduce wear on the engine.

Sweet!
320d | 6sp Man | Sapphire Black | Beige/Dakota Leather/Burl Walnut | Sunroof | Comfort Access | PDC Front & Rear | Cruise | Adaptive Xenons | Sports Seats | Heated Seats | Hi-Fi Sound | Bluetooth | Style 158 Alloys | Chrome Grill | Chrome Window Trim | Split Folding Armrest | Dual Zone Climate Control | LEDs on Door Handles | Through Loading System | Power Folding Mirrors | Rain Sensor | Auto-dimming centre and side mirrors | Sports Steering Wheel | Rear Side Blinds | Smokers Package DELETED | Belkin iPod Charger (Black) & Sound Professionals 8" Aux Cable | Sony Ericsson K750i | iPod Nano
tonyobrien is offline   Ireland
      01-20-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
petesamprs
Lieutenant

Drives: .

Can't someone break your window, jump into your running car and drive away?

Retired:
'08 550i (ED)
'06 330i
petesamprs is offline   United_States
      01-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
tonyobrien
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
From my understanding of how it works, the answer is YES
I'll take my chances though, I wouldn't leave it like that for more than a couple of minutes anyway.
320d | 6sp Man | Sapphire Black | Beige/Dakota Leather/Burl Walnut | Sunroof | Comfort Access | PDC Front & Rear | Cruise | Adaptive Xenons | Sports Seats | Heated Seats | Hi-Fi Sound | Bluetooth | Style 158 Alloys | Chrome Grill | Chrome Window Trim | Split Folding Armrest | Dual Zone Climate Control | LEDs on Door Handles | Through Loading System | Power Folding Mirrors | Rain Sensor | Auto-dimming centre and side mirrors | Sports Steering Wheel | Rear Side Blinds | Smokers Package DELETED | Belkin iPod Charger (Black) & Sound Professionals 8" Aux Cable | Sony Ericsson K750i | iPod Nano
      01-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #4
blazersk
Enlisted Member

Drives: e90 330i jet black

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesamprs
exactly! i would never do that!
      01-20-2006, 10:17 AM   #5
TrackJunkie
Enlisted Member

Drives: Interlagos Blue '13 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
That sounds very cool. Can Comfort Access be added by the dealer or somehow after the car is bought?

Interlagos Blue 20134 M3 Coupe, Comp Pkg, DTC, iDrive, No other options to keep it light
View My Garage -
http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...garage&id=7562
TrackJunkie is offline   United_States
      01-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
bimmer4me
Captain

Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, but they could NEVER turn the car off, because it would never start again. For me, I'll take my chances.

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
bimmer4me is offline   United_States
      01-20-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
thd13
Major

Drives: A07 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to thd13
I found another cool "feature." I just got done working out in the gym and was putting all my stuff in the trunk. I thought I had the key in my pocket but it was actually in my jacket which I just stuck into my trunk. I closed the trunk and realized what I had done. But then I heard a noise and I think the trunk opened itself automatically. I was so happy.
      01-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
eleven24
Foppa!

Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thd13
I found another cool "feature." I just got done working out in the gym and was putting all my stuff in the trunk. I thought I had the key in my pocket but it was actually in my jacket which I just stuck into my trunk. I closed the trunk and realized what I had done. But then I heard a noise and I think the trunk opened itself automatically. I was so happy.
That is a safety feature of CA. Your car not only knows the key is within the vicinity of the car, it can also tell if the key was left in the car, and which part of the car it was left in. If it's left in the trunk, the lid will pop back open letting you know that's where the key is.

Now if only it could tell me where my TiVo remote went.
      01-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #9
kobechrome
Captain

Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackJunkie
That sounds very cool. Can Comfort Access be added by the dealer or somehow after the car is bought?
No.
      01-20-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
jflecha
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 06 330i

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyobrien
From my understanding of how it works, the answer is YES
I'll take my chances though, I wouldn't leave it like that for more than a couple of minutes anyway.
I would just get a CLUB and throw it on the steering wheel, then you can take your time.

The remote start alarm in my old car would cut the engine off if the brake was pressed while the the key wasnt in the igniton. BMW should have added that feature, if the fob is outside of the car. I used to activate it on the alarms remote and just pull the key out.
      01-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
bimmerwannerbie
Private First Class

Drives: E90 - 325i

Quote:
The answer is: YES. I drove my car with out the key after I started the engine.
      01-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #12
Ghunger
Major

Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflecha
I would just get a CLUB and throw it on the steering wheel, then you can take your time.

The remote start alarm in my old car would cut the engine off if the brake was pressed while the the key wasnt in the igniton. BMW should have added that feature, if the fob is outside of the car. I used to activate it on the alarms remote and just pull the key out.
A friend of mine has a similar device. It's a turbo timer that lets the turbo cool down by letting the engine idle for a few minutes after you leave the car. You have to set the parking break for it to work and if anyone releases the break the engine turns off. That would definitely be a nice feature with CA. If the p-brake is on you can leave the car running w/o the key around but if the break is let off the engine stops. It would be a nice safety feature also so the car won't roll while it's running.
Ghunger is offline   United_States
      01-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #13
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to poldim
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazersk
exactly! i would never do that!
That just retarted. You pay insurance. You locked your car infront of a store, a hour, whatever. If it gets stolen like that, then itll get stolen from your garage. Good thing BMW's arent a hot commodity to steal like the Integra or Camery are.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Rogue Engineering 12MM Spacers | Black Line Tail Lights
poldim is offline   Russian Federation
      01-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #14
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to poldim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghunger
A friend of mine has a similar device. It's a turbo timer that lets the turbo cool down by letting the engine idle for a few minutes after you leave the car. You have to set the parking break for it to work and if anyone releases the break the engine turns off. That would definitely be a nice feature with CA. If the p-brake is on you can leave the car running w/o the key around but if the break is let off the engine stops. It would be a nice safety feature also so the car won't roll while it's running.

Something makes me think that there is something will happen. I mean it gives you the no key is present warning. What good is that if you can still just drive off with it?

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Rogue Engineering 12MM Spacers | Black Line Tail Lights
poldim is offline   Russian Federation
      01-24-2006, 05:13 AM   #15
Broken1
E90 Addict

Drives: E90 325i Sparking Graphite

Garage List
Running your car for more than 30 seconds at idle uses more fuel than stopping and restarting FYI - I don't think you would save much engine wear either!
Broken1 is offline   South Africa
      01-24-2006, 06:37 AM   #16
tonyobrien
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
That's interesting...
I always heard the the biggest strain on the engine is starting and stopping it repeatedly so I thought I was doing a good thing by leaving it idle for a few minutes.

So does 30 seconds of idling really use the same amount of fuel as starting up and engine?
      01-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #17
Freudefahrer

Drives: E90 330i ZSP

you can do this without Comfort Access, and it was actually one of the first surprises people found. It's not as easy, and not really worth the time if you don't have CA, though.
      01-24-2006, 03:40 PM   #18
BMW0
Colonel

Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sounds great for those cold mornings before work. Start the car up and get some breakfast then head on to work in a toasty Bimmer

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
BMW0 is offline   United_States
      01-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #19
18LLC
Major General

Drives: e89

benz will stop the car after 1 mile without the CA card, i though BMW doing the same thing.
      01-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #20
3aficionado
Captain

Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
http://www.hcdoes.org/airquality/vehicles/IdleMyth.htm
http://www.hcdoes.org/airquality/vehicles/IdleFAQ.htm
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/communities-g...hs.cfm?attr=28

Last edited by 3aficionado; 02-02-2006 at 01:23 AM.
3aficionado is offline   Italy
      01-24-2006, 03:57 PM   #21
3aficionado
Captain

Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LLC
benz will stop the car after 1 mile without the CA card, i though BMW doing the same thing.
BMW doesn't do the same thing but they should. The MB KeylessGo system has stopped a few carjackings as the car is left further down the road when the engine stops. I believe the engine will run for 15 minutes without MB KeylessGo before shutting down. This can be disabled for valet service while in presence of the KeylessGo Wallet card.
3aficionado is offline   Italy
      04-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #22
Rally guy
Happiest Sideways

Drives: 2011 328xi, had 2006 330xi SGM

"Sounds great for those cold mornings before work. Start the car up and get some breakfast then head on to work in a toasty Bimmer "

That's just bad for the car and bad for the planet. Idling does not really warm up the car, keeps the cats cool (meaning MAXIMMUM pollutants being pumped into the evironment) and wastes a ton of gas.

After all - that's why God invented heated seats. : )

RK
Rally guy is offline   Canada