E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > candid review of bmw performance power kit for n55



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
gibumee
Private First Class
3
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 335i N55 PPK
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (1)

candid review of bmw performance power kit for n55

i had the bmw performance power kit (software only) installed yesterday and had some time to drive it both city and highway (30+ miles) today.

frankly, i am having a hard time noticing the added hp or tq. i never found the stock engine lacking power but i honestly can't feel what others have felt... such as faster response (still have that dead zone) and reduced or eliminated turbo lag. is 20 some hp and tq too small for my brain to distinguish?

one thing for sure is that it completely changed the exhaust sound (stock). it's is much deeper and louder from 2k+ rpm and the burble is kind of nice.

maybe the soon the arrive catless dp will add some additional power.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
thenewrick
Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
586
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

You can't eliminate turbo lag. The PPK only adds like 30 hp at the crank which is negligible. If you want real power you can feel get a JB4 and run map 5. That'll get you about 3x as much power as the PPK software
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
davidwarren
Private First Class
davidwarren's Avatar
2
Rep
182
Posts

 
Drives: '01 325i '06 325i '10 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Louisville, ky

iTrader: (0)

this is probably a stupid question, but how does the PPK alone generate exhaust overrun (burble)?
__________________
2010 335i e90 Le Mans Blue/Chestnut Brown | M-Sport | 6MT | VRSF 7in FMIC | VRSF DP | ER CP | DCI | Cobb
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
thenewrick
Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
586
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

Ya I wasn't sure about that either. Maybe it opens the can flap and makes it run rich?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
SilverII
Colonel
United_States
28
Rep
2,336
Posts

 
Drives: '11 335IS
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [4.83]
hows the gas mileage?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
usmc_ja
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 SG M-sport 335i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cypress, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Interesting. I have ordered the PPK1 and will have it installed on my e90 335i on August 19th. I'll post my thoughts too. One thing I have read is that the performance seems to get a bit better after driving for a few miles. Not sure if this is true or not. I can tell you that it took 500 miles or so for my golf-T mod to really be noticeable. I have no clue why that would be. But it sounds much different than when I first disconnected the solenoid...esp on cold start-ups. The car really rumbles now.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
gibumee
Private First Class
3
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 335i N55 PPK
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (1)

mileage seems same. i think it leaves the exhaust valves open but it def sounds louder and the burble in intoxicating. i think the sounds make the car feel faster
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
CombatNinja
Banned
CombatNinja's Avatar
19
Rep
1,587
Posts

 
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Not trying to insult your intelligence but are you giving the car full throttle? Part throttle driving is close enough to stock to be almost imperceptible. It is under full power that you should feel at least something. Dyno results bear out that this is about a 10% increase in power and torque. Evenn the most poorly calibrated butt dyno should be able to feel that. Go give it a few full throttle runs up through the gears and report back.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
gibumee
Private First Class
3
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 335i N55 PPK
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
Not trying to insult your intelligence but are you giving the car full throttle? Part throttle driving is close enough to stock to be almost imperceptible. It is under full power that you should feel at least something. Dyno results bear out that this is about a 10% increase in power and torque. Evenn the most poorly calibrated butt dyno should be able to feel that. Go give it a few full throttle runs up through the gears and report back.
Not sure how that relates to my intelligence but I will def try WOT. I actually rarely engage myself in full throttle.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 02:16 AM   #10
deathbunny
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335I
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibumee View Post
Not sure how that relates to my intelligence but I will def try WOT. I actually rarely engage myself in full throttle.
If you don't WOT on a regular basis I think it would difficult to notice ~10% change to something your not that used to experiencing in the first place.
__________________
"And just one question I might ask yah, and it might sound like A disaster, can you make this thing go faster?"
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
CombatNinja
Banned
CombatNinja's Avatar
19
Rep
1,587
Posts

 
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I didn't want to insult your intelligence by making the assumption that you are not giving the car full throttle. The PPK software is a mild factory tune that is only going to be evident near maximum throttle. This isn't like slapping a blower on a Ford Mustang V8 wherein the change is apparent at all times. Not to be an asshole but if you rarely go full throttle, why did you buy the tune in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
gwhiz
Private
gwhiz's Avatar
0
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible/M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
I didn't want to insult your intelligence by making the assumption that you are not giving the car full throttle. The PPK software is a mild factory tune that is only going to be evident near maximum throttle. This isn't like slapping a blower on a Ford Mustang V8 wherein the change is apparent at all times. Not to be an asshole but if you rarely go full throttle, why did you buy the tune in the first place?
I think that a lot of people, myself included, got the PPK1 for the drivability aspect of the tune, not for any significant power increase. Not sure about the N54 but my N55 had horrible throttle lag that I felt would only be improved with the tune. Since I bought my car new off the lot I didn't want to go with JB4 - it would also help with the lag but could potentially void my warranty if it was ever discovered.

For the people wanting to street/drag race the PPK is certainly not the right tune, but for the daily drivers that want a more predictable and enjoyable experience I think the PPK delivers, albeit very subtle as the OP is finding out.
__________________
Jet Black 2012 BMW 135i E88 / M Sport Package / DCT / BMW PPK Stage 1 / Scopione Front Splitters and Rear Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
moorlander
Private First Class
1
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i xdrive
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: the moorlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibumee View Post
i had the bmw performance power kit (software only) installed yesterday and had some time to drive it both city and highway (30+ miles) today.

frankly, i am having a hard time noticing the added hp or tq. i never found the stock engine lacking power but i honestly can't feel what others have felt... such as faster response (still have that dead zone) and reduced or eliminated turbo lag. is 20 some hp and tq too small for my brain to distinguish?

one thing for sure is that it completely changed the exhaust sound (stock). it's is much deeper and louder from 2k+ rpm and the burble is kind of nice.

maybe the soon the arrive catless dp will add some additional power.


30 miles is not long enough. Give it at least a week.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
gibumee
Private First Class
3
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 335i N55 PPK
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhiz View Post
I think that a lot of people, myself included, got the PPK1 for the drivability aspect of the tune, not for any significant power increase. Not sure about the N54 but my N55 had horrible throttle lag that I felt would only be improved with the tune. Since I bought my car new off the lot I didn't want to go with JB4 - it would also help with the lag but could potentially void my warranty if it was ever discovered.

For the people wanting to street/drag race the PPK is certainly not the right tune, but for the daily drivers that want a more predictable and enjoyable experience I think the PPK delivers, albeit very subtle as the OP is finding out.
I completely agree with you. I bought mine used with only 7k miles so I thought I should try out the PPK first. And having researched reviews by some of the early adopters it seemed to have provided them exactly the kind of improvements I was looking for.

I guess I didn't have a better understanding of tuning in general and the biggest problem is I'm already getting greedy. I want more power!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
gibumee
Private First Class
3
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 335i N55 PPK
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
30 miles is not long enough. Give it at least a week.
Definitely. Going out for a long drive now! Beautiful day here in Chicago.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
CombatNinja
Banned
CombatNinja's Avatar
19
Rep
1,587
Posts

 
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Stomp on that right pedal and tell me the car is not faster. The car will hit 100mph before you know it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #17
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
155
Rep
10,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibumee
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
30 miles is not long enough. Give it at least a week.
Definitely. Going out for a long drive now! Beautiful day here in Chicago.
Ahhh...the Windy City. Lucky you are my friend- enjoy the day!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #18
gibumee
Private First Class
3
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 335i N55 PPK
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (1)

After a full tank of gas and WOT like its going out if fashion I realized what my problem was during my first drive after PPK install. My wife was in the car

With some alone time, I quickly realized that the car is definitely more responsive at all RPM ranges. Throttle response is different and for the better. One thing I notice during a quick blip on the trottle at low RPM is that it builds rev quickly then it shifts up even faster creating an uncomfortable jerk. But other that that added power relentless pulls. At times I felt scared during WOT as the suspension bounced and tires slipped on the shitty roads of Chicago.

I am still amazed at how much change in sound it brought to the stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #19
gibumee
Private First Class
3
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 335i N55 PPK
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Ahhh...the Windy City. Lucky you are my friend- enjoy the day!
Ah NY. I used to live in Manhattan a few years back for a few years... (7th and Houston). That's when I had a G35 Coupe. I miss Joe's Pizza.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #20
bdoooh
Captain
9
Rep
774
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 AW M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

I dunno how anyone buys this car and doesn't go WOT regularly...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #21
WildBee659
Newbee
WildBee659's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
117
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i E93, Black Sapphire
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibumee View Post
After a full tank of gas and WOT like its going out if fashion I realized what my problem was during my first drive after PPK install. My wife was in the car

With some alone time, I quickly realized that the car is definitely more responsive at all RPM ranges. Throttle response is different and for the better. One thing I notice during a quick blip on the trottle at low RPM is that it builds rev quickly then it shifts up even faster creating an uncomfortable jerk. But other that that added power relentless pulls. At times I felt scared during WOT as the suspension bounced and tires slipped on the shitty roads of Chicago.

I am still amazed at how much change in sound it brought to the stock exhaust.
Its also my problem some days. I'm glad you found the PPK to be a nice upgrade. At 50 mph and up, speed increases fast when you go WOT. Great for passing on 2-lane roads. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh View Post
I dunno how anyone buys this car and doesn't go WOT regularly...
I dunno, I just turn 53 yrs old, have hand controls (I'm a paraplegic) and WOT is a must every time I drive it.LOL
__________________

2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 "SuperBee"
2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 (Wife's Car)
2011 BMW 335i/E93: M-Sport, PPK1, BMW PE, Black Kidney Grills
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
gibumee
Private First Class
3
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 335i N55 PPK
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (1)

i can't get enough of the louder exhaust!!! i have a catless dp coming (used ar from a member here)... i have a feeling i will want an exhaust after that
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST