E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Official Minnesota Chat Thread (#2)

06-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #309
nautilus
Private First Class

Drives: '11 328xi Coupe

Any recommendations for a place that can install a BMW Performance Exhaust? I pinged ORR but they're wanting to source the hardware (their cost $1300), whereas I can get it for less than $1k....

Thanks!
nautilus is offline   United_States
      06-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #310
Art_Vandelay

Drives: currently looking

New member -- still looking forward to getting buying a preowned e90 in the near future. Any thoughts on how well the sport suspension (with rwd) and run flats get along with the pothole ridden Minneapolis streets?

Also, any thoughts on how well the lower ride height of the sports suspension copes with the snow in the winter (with a set of winter tires)? I'm not so concerned about rwd in snow, but do wonder if the lower clearance will be a problem in the winter.
      06-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #311
MN335

Drives: 335i coupe

Hi, I'm a new member as well. I joined after recently picking up an 07 fully loaded BSM/Brown 335i coupe two weeks ago. I'm on the E46fanatics forum too as I have an 04 AW/Red M3 Vert. My M3 is mainly for looks and cruising on nice days since I'm an older guy. My plans for my 335 are to be a clean looking sleeper if that's possible. I had to put my stock 19" M3 wheels on the 335 since it came with Blizzaks but I want to get new wheels because they currently rub in the back when I go over bumps or corner hard. I hope to meet fellow members, gain knowledge, and see tons of beautiful cars.
      06-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #312
jkkh

Drives: e90 328i with ZSP

ZSP in MN winters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Vandelay View Post
New member -- still looking forward to getting buying a preowned e90 in the near future. Any thoughts on how well the sport suspension (with rwd) and run flats get along with the pothole ridden Minneapolis streets?

Also, any thoughts on how well the lower ride height of the sports suspension copes with the snow in the winter (with a set of winter tires)? I'm not so concerned about rwd in snow, but do wonder if the lower clearance will be a problem in the winter.
The sport package is great here in the winter and snows work perfectly. I've driven mine with snows in the winter for 5 years with zero issues!
      06-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #313
jkkh

Drives: e90 328i with ZSP

Shop recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus View Post
Any recommendations for a place that can install a BMW Performance Exhaust? I pinged ORR but they're wanting to source the hardware (their cost $1300), whereas I can get it for less than $1k....

Thanks!
Give Seth a call at Eurotech in New Brighton. Class act, nice shop and a great guy. Tell him John with the ti referred you.
      07-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #314
Chewy734
Major General

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Hey guys,

It seems like I may be moving to the Twin Cities sometime later this summer, assuming I take this new job over there. I just wanted to say hi and see if there was an active, local, BMW community out there.

I'm a little nervous about all the winter horror stories I've heard from some of my friends (which I'm sure some are untrue), so I'm wondering how you guys cope up there? I've endured 16 years of the winter climate here in Cleveland (and I've seen just about everything, I hope), and I'm curious how much worse MN is.

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
      07-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #315
NudeLobster
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 PBM 335i E90 w/ sports

hey guys, can someone local to hear check out this car for me? I'm in Chicago and I don't want to make a 5 hour trip to find a WG rattle in 5 minutes or some other problem. PM me for my phone number so we can talk! this is the ad with his number. He is in St Charles, MO. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3865884437.html
      07-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #316
bsabatino17
Registered

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Hey guys,

New to the forum. Does anyone know of a good tint shop in the metro area? Preferably in the NW metro since I would becoming from Buffalo. Thanks in advance!
      08-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #317
Jred22
Meat Puppet

Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92

Garage List
Bravo Protection Products
15620 Wayzata Blvd, Wayzata 55391.
Right next to Minnetonka BMW. They did the front two windows on my F150 for $80. Good guys, good work.
Jred22 is offline   United_States
      08-23-2013, 01:34 AM   #318
zfire

Drives: None

Sorry to pop in here unannounced... :-)

I am curious if any Twin Cities folks know of a good (inexpensive) place to get a walnut blast done on the N54 intake valves in the metro?

Thanks!
      09-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #319
Art_Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfire View Post
Sorry to pop in here unannounced... :-)

I am curious if any Twin Cities folks know of a good (inexpensive) place to get a walnut blast done on the N54 intake valves in the metro?

Thanks!
I'd like to know this, too. I just called Uptown Imports in Minneapolis to get a quote for a walnut blasting, and they had never even heard of it!?!? I explained exactly what it is and they said they've never done anything like that before.

So, I'd love to hear some suggestions for good places to get that done, as well as generally hearing about good BMW-savvy independent mechanics in the metro.
      09-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #320
Art_Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Hey guys,

It seems like I may be moving to the Twin Cities sometime later this summer, assuming I take this new job over there. I just wanted to say hi and see if there was an active, local, BMW community out there.

I'm a little nervous about all the winter horror stories I've heard from some of my friends (which I'm sure some are untrue), so I'm wondering how you guys cope up there? I've endured 16 years of the winter climate here in Cleveland (and I've seen just about everything, I hope), and I'm curious how much worse MN is.
Late response, but I just saw this post. I moved to Minneapolis from NE Ohio a few years ago, and I'd say the winters aren't much worse here for the most part. The cold lingers a bit longer, which can get old, but I haven't found the intensity to be much worse.

If I recall from the research I did prior to the move, I think it actually snows a bit more on average in Cleveland than Minneapolis. But its just enough colder here (5 degrees colder on average, if I remember correctly) that the snow that falls tends to stick around most of the winter, with fewer above-freezing spells to melt some of it away compared to NE Ohio. I think Minneapolis is prone to more extreme spikes of cold for a day or two, but those don't usually last for long. Bottom line -- if you can deal with Cleveland winters, you'll probably be fine with Minneapolis winters. And, Minnesota embraces the cold and snow more than Ohio, so that helps make it more tolerable IMO.

As for Twin Cities BMW community, I just got my 335 a few weeks ago, and can't offer any meaningful input there.
      11-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #321
krismbauer
Registered

Drives: 2009 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Vandelay View Post
I'd like to know this, too. I just called Uptown Imports in Minneapolis to get a quote for a walnut blasting, and they had never even heard of it!?!? I explained exactly what it is and they said they've never done anything like that before.

So, I'd love to hear some suggestions for good places to get that done, as well as generally hearing about good BMW-savvy independent mechanics in the metro.
Sorry for the late response, I am new to the forumn and just came across this post. After finding out the prices of the blasting, along with enjoying working on the car, I did the walnut blasting last weekend on my own. I can say its really not that bad to do and doesn't take many tools. If you need any help or have any questions let me know and I will do what I can to help.
      01-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #322
rjbez17

Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Unhappy Hello there.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and just bought my first BMW over the weekend (2008 335i).

The story about the car:

I'd been searching for months as I had very specific requirements, E90 (wife required 4drs), MT, RWD, Sport Package, Black, Graphite, or White. I finally found the perfect car out in Boulder. Had the local dealership do the $125 inspection and flew out to pick it up.

Of course it snows 6+ inches the day we go to pick it up, and we had to swap out the summer tires with the winter tires (I found someone on CL that delivered them to me) in the middle of the street. No worries though, got everything going and made it home to Minneapolis safely.

Where issues start to occur:

We stopped over in Des Moines to get some sleep since we got out of Boulder later than expected. The next morning, the car started and sounded like a misfire, after turning it off and on it seems ok and we drove home fine. No CEL, it was about +5 degrees outside.

Come Monday morning in out -21 degree weather and the car idles poorly, feels like misfires, and CEL comes on. I let is warm up a few, restarted the car, and all seems OK. Drove to work slowly with no sound to listen to the car. Mid-day I decided to start the car to make sure all was good... it wasn't. Sounded like multiple misfires, car basically stales out. Have a buddy bring a code reader to the car and sure enough, cylinder 1 misfired for sure, 2 and 3 are pending codes. Also a code for multiple random misfires and a B2AAA code which I think means lack of fuel pressure.

The request:

I'm fairly certain it is the injectors, but since I just got the car, I have no diagnostics setup. Is there anyone in the Twin Cities that would be willing to help me out and has all the diagnostic tools on the ready? I'll surely buy them lunch and a 12 pack.

I'm working to get the software all setup myself but I've never used any of it before since I'm coming from only working on old Hondas. I need to get this thing fixed ASAP before my wife kills me, I used all my charm convincing her to let me fly to Colorado and pick it up...

The questions:

What I really need to know is, is there any diagnostics to confirm injectors, plugs, coil pack, or HPFP? The car is sitting in my work parking lot and checking the old fashion way is what I'll be forced to do in a few days when it warms up.

Also, if it turns out to be injectors, does someone have a way set the injector settings in the DME, or am I forced to go to the dealership?

I appreciate everything in advance!

(I can't create a new thread since I'm still new)
      02-07-2014, 01:40 AM   #323
Nebraska330xi
Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 330xi Sonora

What up Minne BMW enthusiasts...Ill be moving to downtown Minneapolis at the end of this summer for work and wanted to see if there was a decent BMW scene up here or what. Im from NEB so that is not existent down here. cheers.
      04-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #324
bbredstang
Registered

Drives: 2011 335xi

Help in the Minneapolis area? Test fit with spacers

I recently bought some wheels that I was hoping to run on my 335, but was told the wrong offset/width.

That being said, I still think they might work, but have to run spacers and want to ensure that I like the look prior to spending $250 to get the spacers I need.

Does anyone in the Minneapolis area have some 20mm spacers sitting around that I could use to test fit? What does everyone think of the potential look? They are 135 staggered wheels, which I believe may be unique on a 3 series. Thanks in advance for anyone that may be willing to help, or any opinions!

These wheels:

On this:
      05-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #325
sLor
Enlisted Member

Drives: 335xi

is the bmw/335 scene active in the twin cities? would like to see a few and get some inspiration. Moved here about 4 months ago. still havent seen much at all.
      05-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #326
aeilers
Private

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLor View Post
is the bmw/335 scene active in the twin cities? would like to see a few and get some inspiration. Moved here about 4 months ago. still havent seen much at all.
Join MNBMW on facebook, you can see a lot of our cars posted on there. I myself have a 335 also.
      06-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #327
bimmer254
Registered

Drives: BMW 328xi (E92)

Dropping by to say whats up. New/Old Bimmer guy, I've had the M3 e36 followed by the E46 then switched to a 2006 350z.....now I'm back to an E92.

The Z guys are pretty active except in cruises and meets, but just wanted to say whats up and see what plans you guys/gals have. Especially with C&C coming up this weekend.
      06-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #328
aeilers
Private

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer254 View Post
Dropping by to say whats up. New/Old Bimmer guy, I've had the M3 e36 followed by the E46 then switched to a 2006 350z.....now I'm back to an E92.

The Z guys are pretty active except in cruises and meets, but just wanted to say whats up and see what plans you guys/gals have. Especially with C&C coming up this weekend.

Welcome, as you might notice not many of us MN guys post up in the MN Forum here, we mainly talk on Facebook about events and cruises going on. Look up MNBMW on Facebook and request to join.

Alex