E90Post

E92 Lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Satisfaction! Just installed OEM matte black window trim on my e90

08-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
stashtrey
Major

Drives: 08 335xi Sedan Titanium Silver

Garage List
Satisfaction! Just installed OEM matte black window trim on my e90

After using plastidip and then vinyl I had enough of rough edges, trying to battle the side mirrors and just overall sick and tired of not having that oem finish on my TiAg e90 335.

My OEM matte black window trim kit with new seals arrived today via Tischer and after about 2 hours I have finally completed the job. Removed the door panels and side mirrors and it looks absolutely perfect. What a relief. Well worth it if you're just not quite satisfied with your shadowline wrap or plastidip. Nothing better than a perfect OEM finish and fit.

Would post pics but its just black window trim. Just felt like sharing.

If anyone wants any tips on removing the door panels or installing these things let me know. There are a few nuances and tricks I learned along the way!
08 335xi Pre LCI Sedan - Titanium Silver - PTF Tuned - M Tech Rear - OEM Black Lines - M3 Rep w/ Fog Delete - AMS FMIC - BMW PE - BMS OCC - ER CP - KW V3 - Vorshlag Camber Plates - ContiContact Extreme DW - M Tech Perforated Wheeel w/ Converted LCI Paddles Shifters - Sport Seat upgrade - LED Interior Conversion - Alpina Flash - RB PCV Valvle - AFE Intake -Lux AE's -
      08-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Stylin76er
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2007 E90 335i

What color is your car I was looking into buying the matt black trim also worth the $350 I think
Stylin76er is offline   United_States
      08-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
stashtrey
Major

Garage List
Titanium Silver.

Pics attached.

I did matte black. Looks nice and clean.

FYI....shipping on the trim package is set at flat $110!!!
Attached Images

08 335xi Pre LCI Sedan - Titanium Silver - PTF Tuned - M Tech Rear - OEM Black Lines - M3 Rep w/ Fog Delete - AMS FMIC - BMW PE - BMS OCC - ER CP - KW V3 - Vorshlag Camber Plates - ContiContact Extreme DW - M Tech Perforated Wheeel w/ Converted LCI Paddles Shifters - Sport Seat upgrade - LED Interior Conversion - Alpina Flash - RB PCV Valvle - AFE Intake -Lux AE's -
      08-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Stylin76er
Enlisted Member

That looks great! I've don't the window trim on e46's do you know if it's about the same? Just take off door panel and side mirror to get the bottom pice out and well on the e46 the top pice on bolted on.
      08-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
stashtrey
Major

Garage List
Top piece is clipped in with multiple plastic fasteners.

Lower section is the entire rubber/metal insert that slides down into the outer door frame.

Yes... you have to take the door panels off and remove the mirrors to get it all the way in correctly.

I'll do a step by step as thee are a few things I ran into that could save someone a major headache or possibly end up ruining the lower sections. I nearly did!

Gotta go to work. Will write it up later.

Highly recommend doing the OEM setup... it's just super solid and perfect fit/finish.
      08-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
rbtamms
Major

Drives: 2011 E90 and 2013 F25

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
That's the way to do it...OEM
      08-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Stylin76er
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
Top piece is clipped in with multiple plastic fasteners.

Lower section is the entire rubber/metal insert that slides down into the outer door frame.

Yes... you have to take the door panels off and remove the mirrors to get it all the way in correctly.

I'll do a step by step as thee are a few things I ran into that could save someone a major headache or possibly end up ruining the lower sections. I nearly did!

Gotta go to work. Will write it up later.

Highly recommend doing the OEM setup... it's just super solid and perfect fit/finish.
That would be awesome thanks I'm going to order the trim today.
      08-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
bavarianlover
Enlisted Member

Drives: BMW 330d e90, 280hp

Quote:
After using plastidip and then vinyl I had enough of rough edges, trying to battle the side mirrors and just overall sick and tired of not having that oem finish on my TiAg e90 335.

My OEM matte black window trim kit with new seals arrived today via Tischer and after about 2 hours I have finally completed the job. Removed the door panels and side mirrors and it looks absolutely perfect. What a relief. Well worth it if you're just not quite satisfied with your shadowline wrap or plastidip. Nothing better than a perfect OEM finish and fit.

Would post pics but its just black window trim. Just felt like sharing.

If anyone wants any tips on removing the door panels or installing these things let me know. There are a few nuances and tricks I learned along the way!
I was planning to plastidip my window trim on my e90 -06. What do u have for thoughts bout plastidipping it?

08-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)

Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.09]
OEM, damn nice! Looks great!
      08-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
stashtrey
Major

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianlover View Post
I was planning to plastidip my window trim on my e90 -06. What do u have for thoughts bout plastidipping it?

I did it 4x. Never could get it all the right way. The tops were easy as you can take them off and spray them on the ground.

The challenge is the bottom window sills. If you take the side mirrors off you can do a decent job. I just got sick of it and went for the new kit OEM from tischer.
      08-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
bavarianlover
Enlisted Member

Quote:
I did it 4x. Never could get it all the right way. The tops were easy as you can take them off and spray them on the ground.

The challenge is the bottom window sills. If you take the side mirrors off you can do a decent job. I just got sick of it and went for the new kit OEM from tischer.
How do i take of the tops? I thought that was a very difficult thing to do so i planned to spray the trim directly on the car..
      08-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Why didn't you paint it? Would have costed alot cheaper
      08-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
Stylin76er
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianlover View Post
How do i take of the tops? I thought that was a very difficult thing to do so i planned to spray the trim directly on the car..
He said they just have clips that hold it in place. So that it wasn't to hard to take it off. From what I have read on other post is that painting it doesn't last long because it starts to chip.
      08-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
shravangupta
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 328i E92 Vermillion Red

what was the total cost of this? anyone know the price for an e92? 11
      08-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
Stylin76er
Enlisted Member

I just ordered mine from Tisher and it was $350 for the parts and $110 that's the flat rate shipping cost so $460
      08-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
wonton1017
Bit by Modbug

Drives: E92 335i M-sport

My friend ordered a roll of gloss black vinyl for $30 and did a perfect job, looks the same as my OEM shadowline.
wonton1017 is offline   Canada
      08-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Taran.J
Youtube.com/Taran861 ModMyEuro.com

Drives: '07 e90 328i & multiple Merc's

Send a message via Skype™ to Taran.J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylin76er
I just ordered mine from Tisher and it was $350 for the parts and $110 that's the flat rate shipping cost so $460
$460?! Damn I got vinyl cut from a local shop for $30 and installed it myself in about an hour and half.

Taran.J is offline   United_States
      08-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #18
stashtrey
Major

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeinBMW View Post
Why didn't you paint it? Would have costed alot cheaper
I plasti dipped it several times. The tops were fine as I pulled them off and sprayed the shot out of them. The lowers are another ball game. Try taking them out of the doors without bending and ruining the rubber/metal insert.

I simply got sick of messing with it. Wanted an OEM setup and I'm glad I did it.

I did the shadowline as well but the lowers were a bitch.

For the poster asking about the tops.....use a trim fork/puller and move along from front the back and gently work the tabs out of the car or the tabs put of the rail....you will get some minor cracks on the tabs but there are so many its not a big deal. I have two sets if anyone e needs an extra....would be happy to mail some to you.

I can say that the OEM setup came with all new rubber seals, new tabs and really make a nice difference for the anal/obsessive person like myself. I couldn't stop focusing on the imperfections in my shadowline and plastidip jobs. This is the final solution .

That said....I have two top rails in matte black dipped if anyone needs a pair for an e90
      08-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #19
bavarianlover
Enlisted Member

I went to a painter yesterday, he said the he have had alot of audi q7's PLASTIDIP their crome trims, if u paint it it wont stay their for so long.

So I ordered a date so he can plastidip it for me! 31 of august on saturday.. cant wait to see the result
      08-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
stashtrey
Major

Garage List
It will look nice. You can lay it on from a distance after the first coat and get a nice texture look. Love plasti dip...just got tired of the usual spots I could not get right. Went OEM. Totally satisfied although it is a lot of coin for some trim.
      08-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
$460?! Damn I got vinyl cut from a local shop for $30 and installed it myself in about an hour and half.
+1

raped. looks good but not worth it.
      08-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
stashtrey
Major

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
+1

raped. looks good but not worth it.
To each his/her own. I certainly never thought I'd spend that much on window trim but after being unsatisfied over and over after trying all the usual methods I decided to get all new OEM. Yes... expensive... the shipping is the most ridiculous part. However... it looks perfect. No wrinkles, no worrying about it chipping or peeling.

Cheers!