E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Sony Bravia

08-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #23
tony20009
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I bought a Panasonic plasma. I love it. I bought a Samsung LED. I love it. Prior to buying flat screens, I bought Sony CRT sets.

I'm sorry to hear you had drama with your Bravia LED. I would offer, given the state of the TV industry right now, that if you have even the remotest reservation about the Bravia during your evaluation period, just return it. I'm suggesting that because OLED TVs are appearing now. They are currently pricey, but it's highly likely that in a few years they will start to become mainstream and they perform better than either plasma or LED.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ginMethod=auto

BTW, regarding the curve, I think that's just a marketing ploy to give folks who buy them something to talk about.

If you need a TV now, of course, buy something now. Among LEDs, I recommend Samsung as it's what I have. I've also heard many folks say incredibly nice things about Vizio televisions.

I've attached as an MS Word document the most current Consumer Reports (CR) comments on TVs in your size range. (Apologies, I didn't take time to format it beautifully.)

If as a UK citizen you are unfamiliar with CR, they are a independent, non-profit organization that receives no subsidies from the makers and sellers of the products they review, and they do not allow the use of their reviews in manufacturers' and retailers' promotional advertising, so they have no incentive to "tailor" their reviews toward anything but their honest opinion. They may at times review products targeted to a videophile, or extremely high-end consumer, but mostly they review products that the broader spectrum of society can buy (i.e. folks in the middle to upper-middle income brackets).

For my kids, I just bought 32" flat screens to put in their bedrooms. I haven't gotten any complaints. I spent about $250/TV.

I'd often heard and read great stuff about the Bravia televisions. Hopefully, becoming happy with your new TV will just be a matter of getting used to it.

I know above I suggest returning the darn thing, and in principle I truly haven't any real issue with returning products that don't meet my expectations. In practice, however, I often lack the time to do, partly because of the nature of my work, and especially if I've wasted half a day trying to get it to work.

I appreciate your having shared your experience. It's good to know.

All the best and I hope things work out as you'd like.

EDIT:
One thing I have noticed is that somewhat often a US model number will have a different model number in the UK, even though it's exactly the same TV or other electronic device. What I've found is that the model variation is generally the result of the manufacturer assigning a different one because of the plug at the end of the power cord being different for the UK vs. the US or some other place on the planet.
Attached Files
File Type: doc CR - Recommended 40.doc (274.5 KB, 66 views)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 08-21-2013 at 03:59 AM.
tony20009 is offline   United_States
      08-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #24
av_guy
Private

Drives: E90 LCI 335D MSport Space Grey

I feel your pain. Sony is not what Sony used to be years ago as my folks tell me!

We have been a Panasonic and Pioneer family for years and have been fortunate enough to have all premium televisions and other AV equipment.

After much research and going to see TV's side by side (as we are moving into our new home shortly), I moved over to Samsung for a number of reasons:

High picture quality, clarity in images and sound from multiple sources e.g. BluRay, Satellites, other digital formats and sources.

Ease of use controls and if the product cannot be used out of the box (with minimal configuration), it defeats the purpose of entertainment and relaxation.

High quality materials that we previously only found on Panasonic, Pioneer, etc. I compared Samsung to Panasonic, Sharp, LG and Sony. I found that Samsung workmanship and materials used were at least on par if not better.
Panasonic seemed a let down - I mean the stand on the WT series leaves a lot to be desired... to suggest cheap quality would be offensive, but I hope you get my drift. The bezel felt insecure and did nothing to hold/house the screen firmly.

Naturally the quality of interconnects/cables used will make a difference to some degree (law of diminishing returns considered).

I am still "running-in" and so far have been amazed, although my wife prefers plasma due to the slightly truer blacks and wider angle of display.

The benefits for me are stated above plus (as someone else earlier suggested), the TV uses 76W power instead of 250W for plasma. The frame is a good solid steel bezel and an elegant steel stand (does not swivel though).

TV model: UE55 F8500STXXU LED Full edge lighting, 1000hz true motion rate (I know certain manufacturers state 3600hz but this is measured in their own units rather than industry standard), Smart features, camera for Skype video calling, etc. The set is such a pleasure to watch with the settings turned down a little and not so garish.

I also bought the award winning sound bar HW F751 plus subwoofer and the sound is awesome for a 2.1 setup and totally wireless.

Interconnects used are QED Reference Signature series.

I only purchased this due to the above, an offer from Samsung plus just a little over cost price from a well known, authorised reseller who happens to know our family very well.

I would try to turn key settings down to run the set in e.g. brightness, contrast down to 30%, Picture to set to Standard or Natural, Gamma set to level or balance. You need to do this for a good few hours to have the set adjust and you to it. If you are still unhappy, return the set for a refund/different product given legal parameters as per Sale of Goods Act.

Best of luck!
E90 LCI 335D MSport|Space Grey|Sunroof|Visibility|F&R Sensors|Leccy Fold Ext Dim Int & Ext Mirrors|Media Pack Pro|Voice & USB|DAB & DVB|HK L7|Black Leather|Leccy Seats|Lumbar & Heat|Type 313 19" Performance Pack Wheels|Trackstar|Protect & Care|Service Inclusive

Last edited by av_guy; 08-21-2013 at 08:53 AM.
av_guy is offline   United Kingdom
      08-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #25
jimmylad
Lieutenant

Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

I have just bought the UE55 F8500STXXU also after my 58" plasma screen developed 3 vertical lines in the middle of the screen that ruined the picture. The set was just less than 3 years old & Samsung weren't interested.

My main criteria now for buying a TV was a 5 year guarantee so I headed off to John Lewis in Notts to view them & the best 2 pictures on display were the Samsung & Sony top end TV'S but the Samsung was a bit cheaper & got 200 cash back .Or so I thought..... Seems that John Lewis had already taken the 200 off the ticket price so it was 2499 less the 200 making it 2299. Having felt cheated by this & the fact that I couldn't take one with me I walked back up the road to Richer sounds who had one in stock for 2299 & I will get 200 cash back off the 2299 & not 2499 like John Lewis had so I was quite happy as it included a free 5 year Guarantee.

TV is a superb & the text is pin sharp like a computer monitor. Having said that I would never have another Samsung cos the last one lasted less than 3 years I am quite happy with my TV. HD can be stunning although having joined Love film & getting lots of Blu-rays every month I am a bit more disappointed with the BLU ray. It's good but no better than what you get on a HD channel. I expected it to be on another level but it isn't. Not to my eyes.

We found a link telling us the optimised settings for the TV & having gone through them all the picture looked shite afterwards so it was reset. Out of the box it's to bright but you can turn down a setting from 20 to say 13 & it's spot on now.

The Plasma was like an oven so it must have been using some power & the new LED is way way sharper & doesn't get that hot either.

Old Plasma just sold for 100 on eBay so not too bad all in all.
jimmylad is offline   England
      08-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #26
SteveC
Captain

Drives: M135i

Now happy

I can barely believe this but I'm a lot happier with the Sony since I swapped out the new HDMI cables (Sky box and BlueRay) for the ones I was using with the Plasma. The picture now seems more natural and 'relaxed' and not quite so in-yer-face.
SteveC is offline   United Kingdom
      08-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #27
rich1068
has left the building

Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Can of worms there Steve
rich1068 is offline   United Kingdom
      08-22-2013, 03:35 AM   #28
nicktyler
Major

Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
I had never heard of the 'soap opera effect' before reading this and tried the motion settings on my TV yesterday. When in 'off' mode it does amke the picture a little softer but as soon as anything moves it was horrible and super juddery.

I ended up turning it up even further and feel it is a better result than even the default 'smooth' mode.
nicktyler is offline   United Kingdom
      08-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #29
gangzoom
Major

Drives: E90 335i M sport

Looks like the future has finally arrived and is now available to buy...LCD(LED)/Plasma technology is now dead, now just need to start saving

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/KN55S9CAFXZA
      09-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #30
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
I can barely believe this but I'm a lot happier with the Sony since I swapped out the new HDMI cables (Sky box and BlueRay) for the ones I was using with the Plasma. The picture now seems more natural and 'relaxed' and not quite so in-yer-face.
Well, you got it up and running. That's good. Glad you like it now. That's what's important. All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Looks like the future has finally arrived and is now available to buy...LCD(LED)/Plasma technology is now dead, now just need to start saving

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/KN55S9CAFXZA
I want an OLED too, but I don't like to be an "early adopter" just to be one, especially when my LEDs and plasma sets are just fine to my eye.

I'm also not keen on the curve. All my TVs that are in common areas of my house are in some sort of housing, be it a cabinet, or a ceiling aperture or wall recess. As long as I don't have to have a carpenter rebuild something, I'm fine with the curve. It does look nifty. The one at your link above is too deep for the place I'd initially want to put and OLED TV and it seems like such a waste (and selfish) to put it on a stand in my bedroom.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      09-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #31
gIzzE
Major General

Drives: E350 cdi Estate.

Quote:
Just picked up a new Sony Bravia X-Reality LED 42" to replace my Panasonic Plasma......

Oh dear.

I would return it and buy a Panasonic ST60 mate.

Hand on heart the best value display ever made, it is 99% as good as the Pioneer 9G Kuro and ZT60 and can be had for 750, or even cheaper now.

It is amazingly good.

LCD is limited technology, unless you go to a proper local dimming set you just can't get the 3D pop.
Fine as a second set that is cheap, but after living with a Panny plasma you will only get to accept it, rather than love it.
      09-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #32
gIzzE
Major General

Drives: E350 cdi Estate.

This is my TV, I have also a couple of well reviewed and 'reference' LCDs and they just don't cut it.

09-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #33
doc_ab
Major

Drives: 640D M Sport coupe

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Quote:
All objective tests show that HDMI cable quality makes no difference to picture quality unless perhaps you have a very long run. The signal is digital so either off or on with no variations in quality. http://www.avforums.com/forums/hdmi-...ust-facts.html
      09-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #34
SteveC
Captain

Drives: M135i

The problem is

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ab View Post
All objective tests show that HDMI cable quality makes no difference to picture quality unless perhaps you have a very long run. The signal is digital so either off or on with no variations in quality. http://www.avforums.com/forums/hdmi-...ust-facts.html
The subjective test shows a big difference. Any 'tweak' I make I always reverse after a few days, since changes aren't always better, just different. In this case, put back the shop supplied cables and the picture reverts to that overblown, slightly exaggerated image. I understand the simplistic concept of on or off, but there's a lot more to it than that.
SteveC is offline   United Kingdom
      09-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #35
doc_ab
Major

Drives: 640D M Sport coupe

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
This is a quote from the article I linked to

"[Important note added by admin : Different HDMI cables do not affect the quality of the picture. FACT. Reviews stating that cables produce a 'more natural image' or 'better colours' are complete rubbish. See this video for the latest info on HDMI 1.4 as of July 2009.]"

If you click on the link I sent you will see links to other reviews. The digital signal really is on and off and that there really isnt more to it than that unless you have damaged or faulty cables.
      09-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #36
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
Quote:
This is a quote from the article I linked to

"[Important note added by admin : Different HDMI cables do not affect the quality of the picture. FACT. Reviews stating that cables produce a 'more natural image' or 'better colours' are complete rubbish. See this video for the latest info on HDMI 1.4 as of July 2009.]"

If you click on the link I sent you will see links to other reviews. The digital signal really is on and off and that there really isnt more to it than that unless you have damaged or faulty cables.
On matters of what one's senses prefer, I don't know that the objective test make any difference. I realize Steve may have done more that alter the HDMI cables, but for now that's what he thinks made the difference. Nothing you or I or some reviewer says is going to change his mind until he comes up against a new situation that makes it clear to him that the cables play no role in picture quality.