E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Stock 1/4 mile time - US 335d



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 245
iTrader: (0)

Stock 1/4 mile time - US 335d

What should this thing run in the 1/4 mile stock?

Now before anyone starts trolling, I have been researching the hell out of this. This is just the first question I want to ask to get answers from actual 335d owners and not Internet specs. I know where the search button is and I have Googled plenty.
xboxgod is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
GreekboyD
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posts: 2,418
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [4.00]
13 something.
GreekboyD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
 
Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego Blue 335d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

Posts: 2,498
iTrader: (0)

couldnt say I have never done 1/4 but my best SPEED on the 1/2 race was 129.62 mph and that was before my remodified REENtech Flash and Wagner IC, I will run next December again and post times!! ok
__________________
RENNtech Flash/WAGNER IC
VMR710 19"/Execuhitch Hitch/Koni FSD
Soft Ride Bike Rack
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Puerto Rican 335d is online now   Puerto Rico
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
joe_planet
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 X5d
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DFW

Posts: 583
iTrader: (1)

why not go and find out

i went to north star dragway in sanger and got about a 9 sec 1/8 mile with reflash.
I have no clue what my 1/4 is just because i havent been to a 1/4 track, and have no idea what it is stock because i never went drag racing with stock computer.
joe_planet is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Hoooper
Captain
 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hayward, CA

Posts: 828
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
why not go and find out

i went to north star dragway in sanger and got about a 9 sec 1/8 mile with reflash.
I have no clue what my 1/4 is just because i havent been to a 1/4 track, and have no idea what it is stock because i never went drag racing with stock computer.
any idea what the MPH was on that 9 sec 1/8 mile? You didnt happen to keep a timeslip you could post did you?
Hoooper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 245
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
why not go and find out

i went to north star dragway in sanger and got about a 9 sec 1/8 mile with reflash.
I have no clue what my 1/4 is just because i havent been to a 1/4 track, and have no idea what it is stock because i never went drag racing with stock computer.
That's the problem. A 9 second 1/8 mile is not good with a tune. If it was 9.00, that converts to a 14.04 in the 1/4.

Is this what everyone else is seeing?
xboxgod is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Hoooper
Captain
 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hayward, CA

Posts: 828
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxgod View Post
That's the problem. A 9 second 1/8 mile is not good with a tune. If it was 9.00, that converts to a 14.04 in the 1/4.

Is this what everyone else is seeing?
that was my thought too, a 9 sec 1/8 would be depressing tuned. Thats not the norm though from the select few numbers that have been posted. Most seem to be into the low 13s with a tune. I would fully expect a stock D under reasonable track conditions to be able to make it into at least the high 13s. The mags were getting 14.2s, and their 0-60 was always around 6.1s. Those numbers seem to suggest that the tests werent done with much or any brake boosting and there was likely some time left on the table.

A 9s 1/8 could be explained though by other factors which the slip would show, such as a bad 60', tough ambient conditions, etc
Hoooper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 245
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
that was my thought too, a 9 sec 1/8 would be depressing tuned. Thats not the norm though from the select few numbers that have been posted. Most seem to be into the low 13s with a tune. I would fully expect a stock D under reasonable track conditions to be able to make it into at least the high 13s. The mags were getting 14.2s, and their 0-60 was always around 6.1s. Those numbers seem to suggest that the tests werent done with much or any brake boosting and there was likely some time left on the table.

A 9s 1/8 could be explained though by other factors which the slip would show, such as a bad 60', tough ambient conditions, etc
Here's some numbers to play with:
R/T: .254
60': 2.015
330: 5.91
1/8: 9.018
MPH: 78.89

Now I understand the 60' is not optimal here, but the MPH should be higher in order to be a mid 13 like I see everyone else getting. Am I wrong?
xboxgod is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
joe_planet
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 X5d
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DFW

Posts: 583
iTrader: (1)

My mph was right around 80 mph and my 60' was right around 2 sec. I was on stock tires with 18" wheels.
I do realize that this translates to a pretty abysmal 1/4 mile of around 14 sec...
My car did have a faulty vacuum controller which gave me an engine malfunction at the end of the night. Ambient temps were very hot at between 100 and cooling off to about 93.

It felt pretty fast lol!

I might still have the time slips or have thrown them out, if i can find them I'll post them up.

Also I was brake boosting like a crazy mofo haha
joe_planet is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Hoooper
Captain
 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hayward, CA

Posts: 828
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
My mph was right around 80 mph and my 60' was right around 2 sec. I was on stock tires with 18" wheels.
I do realize that this translates to a pretty abysmal 1/4 mile of around 14 sec...
My car did have a faulty vacuum controller which gave me an engine malfunction at the end of the night. Ambient temps were very hot at between 100 and cooling off to about 93.

It felt pretty fast lol!

I might still have the time slips or have thrown them out, if i can find them I'll post them up.

Also I was brake boosting like a crazy mofo haha
if it was hot/humid and you had a failing vacuum controller that could certainly play a lot into the times.

Were you launching in 1st or 2nd? The 60' isnt great but its really not awful. In my previous car (FWD) 13.5s 1/4 passes happened with 2.06s 60', 8.7s 1/8 mile @ 80.5 MPH. Nothing about the times/MPH you posted make it look like significant time could be picked up through driving except maybe a bit off the 60' so likely the ambient conditions and vacuum issue plagued the run. There is a significant different between running at 100F and 60F
Hoooper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
joe_planet
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 X5d
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DFW

Posts: 583
iTrader: (1)

I put it in "DS" mode. I am not sure if it was 1st of 2nd. I'm going to guess 1st, as the car shifted at least 3 times before I got to the end of the track.
I will try again in a month or two once it cools off as I know the car runs like a pig when its real hot out :/
joe_planet is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
Hoooper
Captain
 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hayward, CA

Posts: 828
iTrader: (0)

For me, DS always starts in 1st. Ive seen some say DS starts in 2nd for them but that is not my experience. If you brake boosted and launched in 2nd you might see real improvement. Ill be going next week and ill have results on JBD @ 100% + meth injection. The local track here usually has pretty favorable conditions, track is about sea level and unless its really hot out during the day the air temp is in the 60s by the time racing gets going. Downside is its actually a little bit uphill before the end of the track.
Hoooper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
TDIwyse
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

Posts: 979
iTrader: (0)

Please use your BT and keep an eye on your coolant temps...
TDIwyse is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
Got_Diesel
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

I believe we were rated from the factory with a 0-60 time of 6 seconds (which we all know is more like 5.7)

Our 1/4 mile time stock should be about 14 seconds with a trap speed of i think 105mph? It may be 13.9. Don't quote me.
Got_Diesel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
Wrecker335d
Wondering what to do..
 
Wrecker335d's Avatar
 
Drives: like a cock
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quantico or Long Island

Posts: 515
iTrader: (2)

I got 14 flat in 90F weather down in Florida with a JBD 100%. I need more work, lol. I only was able to run 2 passes. I think my 60' was 2.2
__________________
Mods: JBD, 35% tint, Wagner Intercooler, Bilstien B12 Kit, M3 Control Arms

OEF Veteran
Wrecker335d is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 245
iTrader: (0)

So I guess our cars are just slower than what I thought. I expected a high 13 second ET stock and a mid-low 13 second ET with the JBD based on the research I had done before buying the car.
xboxgod is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
 
AzureHaze's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,564
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
For me, DS always starts in 1st. Ive seen some say DS starts in 2nd for them but that is not my experience.
It definitely does feel like DS starts in 1st, which is why it is unusable for me on the streets (too jerky even without a JDB). I've always used it on the freeways only but lately I've been more comfortable with just being in D since it stays in 6th more often and reduces fuel consumption.
__________________
Mods: JBD @ 100% | Weisslicht LED side lenses | CF pillar trim | Cyba 4" dry carbon tips | CF trunk spoiler | LUX H8 V3 | 193M w/ Michelin PSS | BMS 12/15mm spacers | LTMW CF interior wrap | BSW Stage 1 | CF shifter trim | CF steering wheel trim | m-sport steering wheel | CF pedal set | CF license plate frames | Ziza LED interior kit | Euro side mirrors | Coded
AzureHaze is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
joe_planet
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 X5d
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DFW

Posts: 583
iTrader: (1)

Yeah the car is heavy and the rpm range and the gearing and such is what's doing this. This thing would need quite a bit more power to really move. And race rubber.
joe_planet is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
 
floydarogers's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 840
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxgod View Post
So I guess our cars are just slower than what I thought. I expected a high 13 second ET stock and a mid-low 13 second ET with the JBD based on the research I had done before buying the car.
Don't forget that 0-60 times are not great due to the gearing - have to shift into 3rd before you hit 60, which 335i do not have to do. Also, hard to launch due to street tires/torque.

1/4 mile time is impacted by shifting and lack of HP in the 3000-4500 range.
floydarogers is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #20
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 245
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Don't forget that 0-60 times are not great due to the gearing - have to shift into 3rd before you hit 60, which 335i do not have to do. Also, hard to launch due to street tires/torque.

1/4 mile time is impacted by shifting and lack of HP in the 3000-4500 range.
So to confirm...I guess our cars are slower than I thought. I guess I will stick to modding my '74 2002 if I want a fast car. This is one car away from being the slowest car I've owned. The only one slower was a 2004 G35.
xboxgod is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #21
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
 
floydarogers's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 840
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxgod View Post
So to confirm...I guess our cars are slower than I thought. I guess I will stick to modding my '74 2002 if I want a fast car. This is one car away from being the slowest car I've owned. The only one slower was a 2004 G35.
A 14.0-14.2 second 1/4 mile time is slow? The 335i is around 13.4 or so. Guess what: my NSX had a 13.4s 1/4 mile. I doubt your 2002 could do a 14s 1/4 without major mods - certainly our '77 E21 was in the 16-17s range, and it was faster than anything but a 2002tii.
floydarogers is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #22
Hoooper
Captain
 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hayward, CA

Posts: 828
iTrader: (0)

the mags got a 14.2s 1/4, im confident that an experienced 335d driver (experienced at launching) in a not carbon gunked up car could break into the 13s stock without too much trouble. Being that the mags managed 14.2 though any JBD/tune passes still not breaking 13s obviously have either serious driver issues or bad carbon buildup, a gain of 60 HP and 100 ft. lbs doesnt translate to less than 0.2s in the 1/4. I consitently ran mid 13s in my last car and this car is without a doubt faster at speed than that one was. Whether or not that translates into better 1/4 time is yet to be seen but I would be seriously surprised if it does not
Hoooper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST