E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Interior Parts > FS: e9x Heated Sport Steering Wheel Conversion w/Column Switches



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
runner999
Private
 
runner999's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i xDrive LCI
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New England

Posts: 67
iTrader: (1)

FS: e9x Heated Sport Steering Wheel Conversion w/Column Switches

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
USD 400.00
Item Interest
Parts for heated sport steering wheel conversion on e9x. If you haven't got a heated steering wheel for the cooler weather, you'll like this upgrade.

Steering wheel is in perfect condition, no scuffs or scratches. Same for the controls and column cover with switch.

Reason for sale. My car had non sport heated steering and I only needed the sport steering wheel but seller would not split the setup. I've since upgraded to a heated sport wheel with paddles.

Note column turn signals/dash & high beam lights/wiper control for rain sensor wipers/cruise control switches with the blue heated steering connector harness that plugs into the blue connector on the heater module on the steering wheel and lower steering column cover with power switch and harness. Also includes the airbag harness. Everything as shown.

I think $400 firm is more than a fair price for this setup with shipping included anywhere in "Continental USA ONLY".





Last edited by runner999; 09-17-2013 at 11:24 AM.
runner999 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Clammy
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 328i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 211
iTrader: (1)

Would this work on a pre-LCI 08 328i?

Cheers!
Clammy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
shravangupta
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 328i E92 Vermillion Red
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida

Posts: 260
iTrader: (0)

just curious what the cost of the other 2 parts (minus the wheel) because I have a heated wheel and I want to upgrade to an M3 wheel, How much could I expect to get back for my heated wheel lol
shravangupta is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
runner999
Private
 
runner999's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i xDrive LCI
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New England

Posts: 67
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravangupta View Post
just curious what the cost of the other 2 parts (minus the wheel) because I have a heated wheel and I want to upgrade to an M3 wheel, How much could I expect to get back for my heated wheel lol
I can sell just the slip ring with control stocks and the lower steering column surround with the on/off switch. How does $225 plus actual shipping which would be under $20 mailed USPS 3 day priority in the CONUSA. Price it out on Tischer, this is giving these parts away.

Fall and winter is around the corner. I had my steering wheel heater on this morning (New England 42 degrees) and it was really nice!
runner999 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Clammy
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 328i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 211
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner999 View Post
I can sell just the slip ring with control stocks and the lower steering column surround with the on/off switch. How does $225 plus actual shipping which would be under $20 mailed USPS 3 day priority in the CONUSA. Price it out on Tischer, this is giving these parts away.

Fall and winter is around the corner. I had my steering wheel heater on this morning (New England 42 degrees) and it was really nice!
Would this setup work on a pre-LCI 08 328i?

Cheers!
Clammy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
 
DUI Elite's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 SGM E90
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,597
iTrader: (4)

Does it require any coding to get the Heated function to work on a non-heated steering non-sport E90?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Built My Way View Post
Rule #1 when you own "The Ultimate Driving Machine". Always have $$$ in "The Automatic Teller Machine"
DUI Elite is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
runner999
Private
 
runner999's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i xDrive LCI
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New England

Posts: 67
iTrader: (1)

Coding: I don't think so from what I've read. Pretty simple setup in light of all the other equipment on our cars. I've tried doing a google search on a DIY on installing this setup and have not found one. Maybe somebody in this forum has some insight into it. Appears power is shared with the slip ring controls. Wish I had taken a pic where the white plug off the power switch went when I had this apart for the BMS paddle shift harness install.
runner999 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
exclusivo's Avatar
 
Drives: race car
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: queens, ny

Posts: 1,592
iTrader: (11)

please clarify, is this a sport or non-sport wheel. You said the car came with non-sport and you upgraded to sport, so this would be the non-sport wheel, correct? The thread title says sport wheel, so I'm a little confused.
__________________
exclusivo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
runner999
Private
 
runner999's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i xDrive LCI
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New England

Posts: 67
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmegetatthat View Post
please clarify, is this a sport or non-sport wheel. You said the car came with non-sport and you upgraded to sport, so this would be the non-sport wheel, correct? The thread title says sport wheel, so I'm a little confused.
Sorry for the confusion.

I'm selling a Heated "Sport" Wheel with the slip ring with control stakes and lower column cover with heater on/off switch as shown in the pictures.

My car was factory equipped with a heated non-sport wheel. I replaced my non-sport heated wheel for this wheel shown in April of this year. This wheel shown had the 2 other parts (slip ring with control stakes and lower column cover with heater on/off switch) that the seller won't split up at that time. I didn't need the slip ring or switch but heated sport wheels are rare so I bit the bullet and bought the setup from the seller. In June of this year I stumbled on and bought another heated sport wheel but with paddle cutouts (very rare) which is currently on my car.

I still have the original heated non-sport wheel that is not for sale at this time. I hope this helps clarify the course of events that lead to this sale. I held off selling this setup in the summer because there would no doubt be more interest once the cooler weather came around.

PS: Not to add to the confusion any further but in my research for a DIY for a heated wheel conversion, I found a TSB: SI B32 01 09 that addresses an issue with the heater modules on the heated steering wheels. I ordered the part # 61 31 9 217 865 - $34.97 shipped on 9/16/13 from Tischer. I'm an honest person and I will not take anyone's money knowing this might be an issue. It's a 2 minute fix and I will not sell this setup till the part arrives. Hopefully it'll arrive sometime this week or early next. I'll also include the old module so you know it was replaced. I'll update this thread once I get it in.

Last edited by runner999; 09-18-2013 at 07:08 AM.
runner999 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
exclusivo's Avatar
 
Drives: race car
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: queens, ny

Posts: 1,592
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner999 View Post
Sorry for the confusion.

I'm selling a Heated "Sport" Wheel with the slip ring with control stakes and lower column cover with heater on/off switch as shown in the pictures.

My car was factory equipped with a heated non-sport wheel. I replaced my non-sport heated wheel for this wheel shown in April of this year. This wheel shown had the 2 other parts (slip ring with control stakes and lower column cover with heater on/off switch) that the seller won't split up at that time. I didn't need the slip ring or switch but heated sport wheels are rare so I bit the bullet and bought the setup from the seller. In June of this year I stumbled on and bought another heated sport wheel but with paddle cutouts (very rare) which is currently on my car.

I still have the original heated non-sport wheel that is not for sale at this time. I hope this helps clarify the course of events that lead to this sale. I held off selling this setup in the summer because there would no doubt be more interest once the cooler weather came around.

PS: Not to add to the confusion any further but in my research for a DIY for a heated wheel conversion, I found a TSB: SI B32 01 09 that addresses an issue with the heater modules on the heated steering wheels. I ordered the part # 61 31 9 217 865 - $34.97 shipped on 9/16/13 from Tischer. I'm an honest person and I will not take anyone's money knowing this might be an issue. It's a 2 minute fix and I will not sell this setup till the part arrives. Hopefully it'll arrive sometime this week or early next. I'll also include the old module so you know it was replaced. I'll update this thread once I get it in.
Thanks for the reply, I'll be interested in the non-sport wheel if you decide to sell. I don't feel like spending money on a sport airbag at the moment.
__________________
exclusivo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
mastermayhm
Brigadier General
 
mastermayhm's Avatar
 
Drives: n54 e90 LCI 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: INPLS, IN

Posts: 4,171
iTrader: (12)

I have the heated steering wheel button on the steering column. but i want to get a different steering wheel. do i have to get a specific wheel or does any wheel work for this? sounds like you are saying i have to get a specific wheel?
__________________

N54 LCI xDrive 6MT MSport || P Mods: KW V1, JB4 G5, BMS flash, UUC SSK, VRSF DP...
Mayhm's Build Thread
mastermayhm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
runner999
Private
 
runner999's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i xDrive LCI
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New England

Posts: 67
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermayhm View Post
I have the heated steering wheel button on the steering column. but i want to get a different steering wheel. do i have to get a specific wheel or does any wheel work for this? sounds like you are saying i have to get a specific wheel?
Yes, you need a steering wheel with the heating element in the rim. You can get a non heated steering wheel too but you'll loose the heated feature.
runner999 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
runner999
Private
 
runner999's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i xDrive LCI
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New England

Posts: 67
iTrader: (1)

I took my steering column apart and took some pictures to show the wiring. Hope this answers a few questions in regards to the heated steering wheel conversion. The pics show my car with the blue heated steering wheel heater connector and harness. If you are doing this conversion on a car without heated steering. You won't have this. My FS listing here has that harness and slip ring with it.

What I don't have is a wiring schematic to the steering column harness that feeds the on/off switch. Maybe someone from this audience has access to that last bit of information.. See pics below:

Please Note: There's plenty of DIY's on this forum on swapping out a steering wheel but here's the cliff note version.

1. Disconnect battery + lead (10mm socket) and because the trunk is electrically opened LEAVE THE TRUNK OPEN or you maybe in a bit of a jam if you don't have fold down seats or a back seat trunk pass through to pull the emergency trunk release handle to reconnect the battery cable later.

2. Pop out the air bag, disconnect the air bag black and green connectors.

3. Disconnect the 2 connectors (air bag and multi function switch harness plugs) in the slip ring.

4. To take the steering wheel off you need a 16mm socket on a breaker bar to unscrew the Jesus bolt that holds the steering wheel to the steering column.



There are 4 wires on the blue connector from the slip ring harness (white, green, blue and yellow). The steering wheel heater module has 4 black wires leading off its blue connector block.





The slip ring appears to be held in place by 4 black round head torx screws.





The white 3 wire connector on the steering column harness that connects to the white connection block off the steering column power on/off switch. I do not have a wiring schematic to trace the yellow/green and yellow/black wires and leave that up to someone who may have this knowledge. The brown wire is most likely a ground.



RE: An earlier post I wrote to address TSB: SI B32 01 09 for the heater module. Tischer sent me shipping status and the updated steering wheel heater module will be at my door on Monday 9/23.
runner999 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
runner999
Private
 
runner999's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i xDrive LCI
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New England

Posts: 67
iTrader: (1)

Pulling the plug on this ad.

After taking my car's steering column apart, itís apparent I would need a wiring diagram to trace the harness that plugs into the on/off switch. Itís disappointing these parts don't provide a simple plug n play solution in getting heated steering to work. So in light of this, I'll be listing these parts individually on eBay.
runner999 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST