Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New Shoes and a Couple Questions



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.
 
TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %
                     
Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
chatch10
Private First Class
 
chatch10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

New Shoes and a Couple Questions

Just put on my new summer rims and tires yesterday. After a very long wait.

The tires are Michelin PSS 235/40/18 & 265/35/18.

The rims are AG M359 18x8.5 ET35 and 18x9.5 ET33. I plastidipped them gloss black and I think they came out very well. Minor issues in a few spots, but I can easily live with it.

I also threw on some 15mm front and 10mm rear spacers to put the offsets at ET20 and ET23, respectively.

The first issue is that there is now some vibration coming through my steering wheel. I'm assuming this could boil down to one of three reasons: the wheels are not balanced correctly, the spacers were not machined properly, or the anti-seize I used on the hubs is causing the spacers to not sit properly. Can anyone help me with this issue?

The second issue is that I am rubbing in the rear on bumps in the road. It is not a lot of rubbing, but I can hear it when it happens. My car is currently at the stock sport height and I only plan only installing some lowering perches to eliminate the wheel gap in the front. Could I get an alignment done and have them add some negative camber in the rear to fix this issue? Also will this even help when I have people in the rear?

My other solution to these issues is to lower the spacer in the front from 15mm to 10mm and clean off the anti-seize and remove the spacers all together in the rear unless someone has some input for me.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
    

Last edited by chatch10; 06-20-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: error in spelling
chatch10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 12,314
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 5 Series  [3.30]
Start trouble shooting your vibration issues by removing the spacers and driving around. If the vibrations are still the same, it's likely the tires not being balanced properly. If you're going to lower the car, with the same setup, you're rubbing is only going to get worse. Adding more negative camber will help, but I would just recommend rolling the fenders.
__________________

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow-Form | LIVE INVENTORY: V705 V703 V710 | V710 PICTURE THREAD
p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | f. facebook.com/vmrwheels f. flickr.com/vmrwheels i. instagram.com/vmrwheels
VMRWheels is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Chris_506
RIP Paul Walker; True Enthusiast
 
Chris_506's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

Posts: 2,465
iTrader: (13)

are the spacers hubcentric?
__________________
Chris_506 is offline   Costa Rica
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
chatch10
Private First Class
 
chatch10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Yes, I have the BMS spacers. I don't think they are the issue. I think it is probably the anti-seize. I just saw a post that said it might be a problem. If not, then I'm taking my wheels back to the dealership and having them re-balance the tires.
chatch10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
Mr.Rnow
*_*809*_*
 
Mr.Rnow's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E9x
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NYC & NJ

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch10
Just put on my new summer rims and tires yesterday. After a very long wait.

The tires are Michelin PSS 235/40/18 & 265/35/18.

The rims are AG M359 18x8.5 ET35 and 18x9.5 ET33. I plastidipped them gloss black and I think they came out very well. Minor issues in a few spots, but I can easily live with it.

I also threw on some 15mm front and 10mm rear spacers to put the offsets at ET20 and ET23, respectively.

The first issue is that there is now some vibration coming through my steering wheel. I'm assuming this could boil down to one of three reasons: the wheels are not balanced correctly, the spacers were not machined properly, or the anti-seize I used on the hubs is causing the spacers to not sit properly. Can anyone help me with this issue?

The second issue is that I am rubbing in the rear on bumps in the road. It is not a lot of rubbing, but I can hear it when it happens. My car is currently at the stock sport height and I only plan only installing some lowering perches to eliminate the wheel gap in the front. Could I get an alignment done and have them add some negative camber in the rear to fix this issue? Also will this even help when I have people in the rear?

My other solution to these issues is to lower the spacer in the front from 15mm to 10mm and clean off the anti-seize and remove the spacers all together in the rear unless someone has some input for me.

Thanks for the help!
I have
Back/ 255/35/18 Front/ 225/40/18
I get vibration when i hit the 40mph
After that nothing dealer don't know shit... Pay for balance and alignment thinking it would fix the problem but no $250 for this shit and nothing now they told me to replace my bushing I'm upgrading to m3 parts on that... Check hub rings that might help some times
Mr.Rnow is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Eagle1oh7
Captain
 
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA

Posts: 662
iTrader: (0)

I got the same issues right now with my Forgestars, I'm going in for an alignment when I get back from my vacation, but I'm going to get the wheels balanced again as I hear a thumping sound between 50-70mph. Hopefully that solves it, but I might have to end up doing a fender roll as well since there is rubbing. Hopefully that's it and I have no bent wheel which is one of my concerns since it's been a week since I took delivery and had them mounted with PSSes. All of this on an MSport suspension might I add.
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, Rieger Rep Skirts, aFe Stage 2 PRO-R Intake, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, MMW Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Eagle1oh7 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
chatch10
Private First Class
 
chatch10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the help guys!

I'm going to start with cleaning the anti-seize of the hubs really well. If that doesn't work then I'm going to take the spacers off completely. If none of that works then I'm going to take the rims in and have them checked.
chatch10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
nikitino25
Lieutenant
 
nikitino25's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri

Posts: 500
iTrader: (1)

Did you ever solve your issue? I have the exact same wheels/tires but with no spacers and I get a light shimmy right at 50mph. It's not bad but my bmw wheels didn't do this and it bugs me. I had them road force balanced and the tire shop said they were "balanced to zero". I also put on some anti-sieze but barely any at all. Might try to clean off any excess and re-install but other than that I might have to take them back to tire shop to have them re-balanced...
nikitino25 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
chatch10
Private First Class
 
chatch10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
Did you ever solve your issue? I have the exact same wheels/tires but with no spacers and I get a light shimmy right at 50mph. It's not bad but my bmw wheels didn't do this and it bugs me. I had them road force balanced and the tire shop said they were "balanced to zero". I also put on some anti-sieze but barely any at all. Might try to clean off any excess and re-install but other than that I might have to take them back to tire shop to have them re-balanced...
No solution yet. I'm going to take it into the dealer and have them look at it since I've taken it to a couple shops and they all have said the wheels are balanced. I'm almost convinced I have warped rotors because the shimmy happens only when I brake. Either way, it is very annoying and I just want to get it fixed. I'll keep you updated on what I find out.
chatch10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
nikitino25
Lieutenant
 
nikitino25's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri

Posts: 500
iTrader: (1)

I took my front wheels back to the tire shop and had them re-balance. They were both 1 oz. off which they corrected and now the steering wheel vibration/shimmy is basically gone. The guy said the initial balancing can change a little with new wheels/tires once the tires get seated/broken....will try to post pic of my set up....
nikitino25 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
chatch10
Private First Class
 
chatch10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
I took my front wheels back to the tire shop and had them re-balance. They were both 1 oz. off which they corrected and now the steering wheel vibration/shimmy is basically gone. The guy said the initial balancing can change a little with new wheels/tires once the tires get seated/broken....will try to post pic of my set up....
Thanks for letting me know that. I guess I'll see what the dealership says. Hopefully it's nothing major even though I'm under warranty.
chatch10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST