E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > I can't remove my oil filter cover?? 08 328i

09-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
porshapower
Registered

Drives: 2008 328i

I can't remove my oil filter cover?? 08 328i

Started to do my first oil change on the car since I have owned it and when I went to turn the oil filter cover (turning clockwise to remove) it would not budge. Put a little more pressure on the 3/8 ratchet and broke the round 86 mm tool. The little welds snapped at the top where they welded a little disk with the cutout for the 3/8 ratchet end to the round filter wrench.... I did try this on a cold car that sat over night. 69k miles.. Thanks
      09-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph

Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by porshapower View Post
Started to do my first oil change on the car since I have owned it and when I went to turn the oil filter cover (turning clockwise to remove) it would not budge. Put a little more pressure on the 3/8 ratchet and broke the round 86 mm tool. The little welds snapped at the top where they welded a little disk with the cutout for the 3/8 ratchet end to the round filter wrench.... I did try this on a cold car that sat over night. 69k miles.. Thanks
Well, I can see how you might be confused - as I notice there is an arrow on the cap pointing in the clockwide direction - leading one one to believe that is the direction to remove

But I can assure you, to remove the cap - you turn the cap COUNTERCLOCKWISE

That is your problem - you were actually tightening the cap, not loosening it

All though the version cap tool you bought would normally be fine (if you had been loosening instead of actually tightening) - I bought this version which is very sturdy:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-328...Tool/ES199351/

You can pick up the Schwaben version for less $$:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-328...ool/ES2167951/

Actually, it's probably a good thing that your cap tool was the weak point and broke - instead of the cap itself
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 09-10-2013 at 10:39 AM.
1QuikWS6 is offline   United_States
      09-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug

Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
lefty loosey righty tighty.
monkey_wrench is offline   No_Country
      09-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
porshapower
Registered

Drives: 2008 328i

Man I fell like such an a$#! I read the DIY and understood it incorrectly. Here are the directions on the DIY.... Removing the oil cap and filter:
Removing the oil cap was simple. Just turn the square cap clockwise and you’re done.

Removing the oil filter was simple, too. I couldn’t turn the oil filter cap by hand, so I used a strap wrench. The exposed filter element is shown below:

I thought it was a bit strange but when I went to the car and saw the arrow I said well it must be..... Thanks for the help and I will try it again... Thanks for the links I will definately need to buy another now