Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > What am I missing??



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
285ferrari
Private First Class
United_States
5
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 - MCB
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (2)

What am I missing??

I recently bought new aftermarket wheels and new tires for my 2010 335 Xdrive and from 40-60mph, the car steering wheel shook badly. I had them balanced several times with a Road Force balancer and each time shaking in the wheel. I changed to another set of brand new tires and still shaking. I sent the wheels back thinking it had to be the wheels.

I currently put back on stock size 18's wheels, I believe they are the model 189 wheels on the car and they ride smooth as silk.

I have heard guys talk about hub rings and such? Am I miss something?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
Finland
93
Rep
2,789
Posts

Drives: BMW E90 320D Half-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 285ferrari View Post
I recently bought new aftermarket wheels and new tires for my 2010 335 Xdrive and from 40-60mph, the car steering wheel shook badly. I had them balanced several times with a Road Force balancer and each time shaking in the wheel. I changed to another set of brand new tires and still shaking. I sent the wheels back thinking it had to be the wheels.

I currently put back on stock size 18's wheels, I believe they are the model 189 wheels on the car and they ride smooth as silk.

I have heard guys talk about hub rings and such? Am I miss something?
What was the wheel hub bore? if it was something else than 72.6, then it would need hub centric rings, if those where missing, that can cause some vibrations. There is also the possibility that wheels where bend or something.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
PSUSMU
Captain
28
Rep
896
Posts

Drives: Entry-level Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA / Washington, DC

iTrader: (1)

What kind of wheels?
__________________
RSI, LLC | Fender Rolling | Suspension | Engine | Other Stuff
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Eagle1oh7
Captain
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
854
Posts

Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA

iTrader: (0)

Are you running staggered or a square setup, and maybe it's an alignment issue?
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, aFe Stage 2 PRO-R Intake, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback
FUTURE MODS: AA Stage 3, AA Headers, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
285ferrari
Private First Class
United_States
5
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 - MCB
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
Are you running staggered or a square setup, and maybe it's an alignment issue?
19x9.5 and 19x8.5 - Alignment is perfect
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
285ferrari
Private First Class
United_States
5
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 - MCB
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
What kind of wheels?
Avant Garde, bought them from retailer on here - -The wheels look awesome, great looking wheels
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
285ferrari
Private First Class
United_States
5
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 - MCB
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlueE90 View Post
What was the wheel hub bore? if it was something else than 72.6, then it would need hub centric rings, if those where missing, that can cause some vibrations. There is also the possibility that wheels where bend or something.
I have no idea how to check the hub bore - - I have shipped the wheels back to the distributor and may look into getting a different set, but right now I am back to stock wheels...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
Finland
93
Rep
2,789
Posts

Drives: BMW E90 320D Half-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 285ferrari View Post
I have no idea how to check the hub bore - - I have shipped the wheels back to the distributor and may look into getting a different set, but right now I am back to stock wheels...
Most of the time it's printed on the back side of the wheel, but it's late check now. What Avant Garde wheels they were?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
VMRWheels's Avatar
710
Rep
22,315
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
I'm thinking the bore on them was slightly off. If they're any larger than 72.6mm, they would start vibrating pretty badly at speed.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST