E90Post
 


E92-lighting
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Slight Deep Humming Engine Noise - BMW 320d E92 - HELP PLEASE!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
3
Rep
133
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E92 320d M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Slight Deep Humming Engine Noise - BMW 320d E92 - HELP PLEASE!

Hi I was hoping someone could help me on this.

I just got my BMW E92 320d 2007 Manual serviced and noticed a week or so after this slight what I would describe as a deeper than usual humming sound that comes from the engine which sets in as the car is between 1000-1500 rpm.

Any ideas? Could it be signs that the gearbox is on the way out or perhaps something else? Someone who just sits in the car would not notice it but because I have been driving it daily I can definitely notice the difference - also the accelerator pedal seems as though it has a bit of feedback when between those rpm's (normally as the car is decelerating from 1500 to 1000 rpm. Just to add the car has just hit 80,000 miles (which i have been told is whereabouts the gearbox is on its way out). If if is gearbox how much does this normally cost and roughly how much is labour?

Any of your thoughts would be appreciated

Fingers crossed its nothing serious
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #2
waftingtony
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330d M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wigan

iTrader: (0)

Hiya...
Fear not, after a service it sounds more familiarly like a loose acoustic engine cover (the plastic cover that sits on top of the engine), so it might not have been tightened down properly (allen key bolts). Further to this, it could be the airbox (which is plastic and screwed down) that hasn't been tightened up. The resonance of diesel engines will always pass these vibrating plastics back into the cabin if not screwed back together. Had this happen on all my BMW diesels by either myself forgetting to tighten a screw, or my Indy.
Have a look at this first before thinking worse things..... if its gearbox, you'll REALLY know about it and it tends to rumble like thunder.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 04:32 AM   #3
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
3
Rep
133
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E92 320d M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waftingtony View Post
Hiya...
Fear not, after a service it sounds more familiarly like a loose acoustic engine cover (the plastic cover that sits on top of the engine), so it might not have been tightened down properly (allen key bolts). Further to this, it could be the airbox (which is plastic and screwed down) that hasn't been tightened up. The resonance of diesel engines will always pass these vibrating plastics back into the cabin if not screwed back together. Had this happen on all my BMW diesels by either myself forgetting to tighten a screw, or my Indy.
Have a look at this first before thinking worse things..... if its gearbox, you'll REALLY know about it and it tends to rumble like thunder.
Thanks for your reply mate. Oh how I hope its just that. I know the engine cover your referring to but where is this airbox? Im pretty sure the engine cover is just meant to clip on as opposed to any allen key bolts (correct me if i am wrong). Nonetheless I will check this once I get home - but is there a reason why I only hear this humming noise between 1000-1500 rpm, it is always between those revs for some reason! Although its by no means rumbling like thunder but I thought perhaps it might be early signs - lets hope not!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
Icekube
Captain
United Kingdom
7
Rep
610
Posts

 
Drives: E91 320D
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Livingston

iTrader: (3)

who ever told you that the gearbox is on its way out at around 80k needs a slap....
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
waftingtony
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330d M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wigan

iTrader: (0)

With a car as young as that, its very unlikely to be gearbox unless its been given serious harsh treatment. The reason at that rpm, is simply due to the nature of the diesels on tickover. They sit on rubber engine mounts that, over time, slightly wear down. So there becomes a little bit of play with the engine movement on tickover. Thus plastic parts stuck on top i.e airbox flute at the front & the acoustic cover, can rattle around because of physics.. resonance may occur as the engine increases revs but you won't hear it as much. Just like sitting on the back of a bus above the engine, you feel more vibration on tickover. Don't worry so much and just check these first. Hope thsi is a corerct diagnosis anyway :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
3
Rep
133
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E92 320d M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Hi well I did get the engine plastic cover double checked and it seemed that it was a little loose and the guy switched those rubber things around and it seems to hold a lot better. However I still experience what I would describe as a "deep humming noise" from the engine between 1500-2000 rpm, usually in first and second gears. Once I get above 2000rpm the noise goes away. But I think this noise has got louder over the couple months. As mentioned its a BMW 320d e92 coupe2007 at around 82,000 miles.

After googling I have seen suggestions that it could potentially be the gearbox or camshaft. Any ideas or advice would be welcome. To be honest its not like the car is sluggish or anything but I want to know whether there is an underlying issue I should be concerned about as I wouldnt want it to pack up all of a suddent

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by deeebo8452; 11-27-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Will335d
Enlisted Member
Will335d's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
49
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Essex

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeebo8452 View Post
Hi well I did get the engine plastic cover double checked and it seemed that it was a little loose and the guy switched those rubber things around and it seems to hold a lot better. However I still experience what I would describe as a "deep humming noise" from the engine between 1500-2000 rpm, usually in first and second gears. Once I get above 2000rpm the noise goes away. But I think this noise has got louder over the couple months. As mentioned its a BMW 320d e92 coupe2007 at around 82,000 miles.

After googling I have seen suggestions that it could potentially be the gearbox or camshaft. Any ideas or advice would be welcome. To be honest its not like the car is sluggish or anything but I want to know whether there is an underlying issue I should be concerned about as I wouldnt want it to pack up all of a suddent

Thanks in advance guys
Hi I had this happen on a 320d low mileage bought from BMW auc that had just been services before sale, the airbox bolts were barely in and the rubber mount wasn't on properly took 2 mins just have a good look about
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
3
Rep
133
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E92 320d M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

I know I am going to sound like a right pleb but where exactly is the airbox, is that the housing for the air filter? And is the rubber mount part of the same "airbox". Im cringing asking these stupid questions lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will335d View Post
Hi I had this happen on a 320d low mileage bought from BMW auc that had just been services before sale, the airbox bolts were barely in and the rubber mount wasn't on properly took 2 mins just have a good look about
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
7
Rep
709
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilmington, DE

iTrader: (2)

Yes, it's the housing for the air filter .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeebo8452 View Post
I know I am going to sound like a right pleb but where exactly is the airbox, is that the housing for the air filter? And is the rubber mount part of the same "airbox". Im cringing asking these stupid questions lol
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #10
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
3
Rep
133
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E92 320d M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

You were right thanks!

Basically it wasnt the air box itself rather there is a kind of plastic flow pipe that goes from the air filter to another box at the front middle section in front on the engine, there was some slack where these two joins. As a quick fix I just got a little bit of cardboard and wedged it in between to tighten the slack. Such a bog job I know but did the trick

I have also noticed that the performance and general smoothness of drive has improved since. Perhaps air was escaping or something I am not sure anyways thanks for all your advice and replies on the matter. Was getting worried it might have been something serious


Quote:
Originally Posted by Will335d View Post
Hi I had this happen on a 320d low mileage bought from BMW auc that had just been services before sale, the airbox bolts were barely in and the rubber mount wasn't on properly took 2 mins just have a good look about
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST