E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Tough Decision???

08-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #23
Billyray911
Colonel

Drives: 335d Msport,touring

The 5S/6 will be make or break for Apple in respect of their past dominance as the Android market has moved so quickly,catching them with their pants down.
I know that Iphones are a massive compromise unless you go the jailbreak route to free the os but although they are flawed,they just work.
I am really tempted by an HTC,but Apples dominance in the Apps and hardware market puts me off.
Come September,I'll have made my mind up though...
Billyray911 is offline   United Kingdom
      08-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #24
Kerr
Brigadier General

Drives: 08' 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
The 5S/6 will be make or break for Apple in respect of their past dominance as the Android market has moved so quickly,catching them with their pants down.
I know that Iphones are a massive compromise unless you go the jailbreak route to free the os but although they are flawed,they just work.
I am really tempted by an HTC,but Apples dominance in the Apps and hardware market puts me off.
Apple dominance?

They've been outsold for a long time.

Shares are slumping and more people wising up to the fact there is vastly superior phones out there.

Apple are making ios7 more like Android for a reason.
Kerr is offline   Scotland
      08-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #25
Billyray911
Colonel

Drives: 335d Msport,touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
Apple dominance?

They've been outsold for a long time.

Shares are slumping and more people wising up to the fact there is vastly superior phones out there.

Apple are making ios7 more like Android for a reason.
You must have missed the word "past" in all that excitement to reply!
Billyray911 is offline   United Kingdom
      08-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #26
tony20009
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Two excellent phones. What non-phone call things do you do most with your phone now? What have you ever wanted to do that you couldn't? Those should be your criteria for deciding. If the two are equal on that measure, I'd say go with the IP5 only because transition will be easier.

If you want something new just to have something new, the Nokia Lumia 920 or newer phone is great, provided the apps you want are available for Windows phones. Here in the US, the Lumia is a bargain to buy. I use one right now. I'm very pleased with it. It has every app I want to use on a phone, so I don't care that there are more available for iPhones and Androids.

BTW, have you checked into when the IP6 will be available in your area? It could be worth it to just hang on to your IP4 and decide later. I'll be honest and say your OP read like you don't really want a new phone, even though you say you do. You don't have to fix something that's not broken.

All the best and good luck.

Cheers,
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
From a users perspective the android platform is just so much more customisable. ....
It is. For myself, I would just as soon have a turnkey device that is intuitive to use even if I don't muck around with it. I'm sure there's wonderful stuff one can do to customize the user interface. I'm just saying I know myself well enough to know I wouldn't likely do it. The OP might, however.

I didn't know that about Androids, but absent knowing specific examples of things you or someone else did to customize the phone to provide this or that benefit, I would have a hard time, as a non-Android savvy guy, having the first idea of WTH I might customize. Accordingly, the customizability in and of itself is hardly a compelling reason to buy an Android.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
      08-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #27
nicktyler
Major

Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Two excellent phones. What non-phone call things do you do most with your phone now? What have you ever wanted to do that you couldn't? Those should be your criteria for deciding. If the two are equal on that measure, I'd say go with the IP5 only because transition will be easier.
This is the way to look at it. For me the transition being easy is not a big issue as I am happy it will not be difficult to move to android and I have not spent a lot on apps and content.

I have been playing with the S4 and from the limited time with it it absolutly smashes the iPhone 5 to pieces. The screen and speed are worlds apart. teh best thing about it and "What have you ever wanted to do that you couldn't?" How about 2 apps on one screen. The S4 allows you to have the internet browser and the text/phone/other open at the same time so no swapping back and forward or using the awkward copy function for numbers and postcodes etc.

I have decided to wait and give Apple a chance but I'm not sure what they will be able to do and my feeling (based on historical evidence) is that they simply won't bother to do anything.
nicktyler is offline   United Kingdom
      09-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #28
nicktyler
Major

Garage List
So I waited and gave Apple a chance but have been pretty underwhelmed.

Even so I find that I might just cave and get the iPhone 5S as it is the easiest option. better the devil you know and all that.

Anyone else dissapointed? There is nothing that really grabs me right now but my 4S is starting to show it's age and I want rid of it before it gives up and looses all it's residual value.
      09-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #29
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Drives: BMW 335i premium package 19"ri

iPhone 5s don't think twice
Briancanadiano is offline   Canada
      09-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #30
m@rk
Major

Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
So I waited and gave Apple a chance but have been pretty underwhelmed.

Even so I find that I might just cave and get the iPhone 5S as it is the easiest option. better the devil you know and all that.

Anyone else dissapointed? There is nothing that really grabs me right now but my 4S is starting to show it's age and I want rid of it before it gives up and looses all it's residual value.
So I had a quick play with the 5S and 5C yesterday whilst in the office.

The 5C is actually a lot less plasticy than I was expecting.

The 5S is a really really nice object to hold in your hand and the gold one looks great in the flesh

Now my company phone is a 4S so whilst the new phones both had IOS7 on them and obviously the bigger screen from a software perspective I didn't feel like I had just been given a quantum leap in performance.

Indeed I never find day to day, my 4S is lacking in the performance stakes however I don't play games on my phone which is where you probably would see the difference.

The other thing of course is that the new iPhones support 4G which again is a nice to have but again not essential. Sitting in a hotel room in Newbury on Tuesday night, I was able to stream the Apple announcement video in HD via normal 3G on my iPad which was about 1.5GB in the space of 1.5 hours and at no point did it buffer. A good 3G signal is fine for most things

So I am not due an upgrade on my company phone for a few months yet and of course the 4S will be getting the upgrade to IOS7 next week anyway.

As things stand, I am not thinking "I must" upgrade NOW but when the time comes, the 5S is certainly the phone I will move to because Apple devices have now moved into the "its solid and just works" category for me rather than being the biggest screen or most memory or whatever. I remember how I used to HAVE to reboot my Android phones every few days. I can't remember the last time I needed to do this with an iPhone
      09-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #31
DanTheManc
Lieutenant

Drives: M135i

4.5m views and counting in two days. Phonebloks is the future.

09-13-2013, 03:54 AM   #32
nicktyler
Major

Garage List
That does look like very good idea but I can't wait that long.
      03-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #33
IowaMatt

Drives: 2014 328 xi

Does anybody know if the Samsung S4 works with iDrive?
      03-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #34
gIzzE
Major General

Drives: E350 cdi Estate.

In what way?

You will get bluetooth and that will be about it.
As good as Android is, if you want compatibility with other kit in this wort of way it has to be Apple.
Too many variations with Android.
      03-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #35
DavS1
Major

Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've been wondering for a while what phone to go for next or what contract to get...I don't want another 24month contract with ANY phone, I got one with my current mob which runs out in june and it's a galaxy S3, and tbh it's a great mob other than the build quality is piss poor. After 3 weeks the bezel cracked and they wanted to charge me 147 to fix it....err it's a manufacturing fault? so I left it and decided it was a small defect and didn't stop the thing working, then after a couple of minor drops the bezel chipped and proceded to flake round the chips and now looks a mess, the charge port had been dodgy after around 5-6months which im assuiming was the same cause for the battery taking far too long to charge, then decided one day it wouldn't like to charge at all so had to buy a wall charger....it's apparently still under warranty but the things fucked so see no point in sending it away and being without it....oh yea and the mic decided it didn't want to be a mic any more....So Samsung for me personally are out of the equation...
I've had an iphone 4 before, good phone, still have it in absolute perfect condition but they're boring/too small and not as good as android O/S.

So i've got a dilema, should I just go with a nokia 3210, and spend more time with real people/friends than having my head stuck in a device on fbook/instagram/whatsapp/vine/etc etc etc whenever I've got a spare minute...
      03-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #36
gIzzE
Major General

Drives: E350 cdi Estate.

I use my phone for phone calls, messaging, email and music.

For that the iPhone is simply the best phone out there. Why? Because it is universally supported and just works.
      03-18-2014, 07:02 AM   #37
mowflow
Colonel

Drives: F20 125d

I was due a new phone at the beginning of last month. I went and looked at the options and after being suitably unimpressed by anything decide to wait to see what the S5 (now revealed and a bit underwhelming) and next HTC (will be revealed on 24th of march) would be like.

If I REALLY had to change now it would be the HTC one. I currently have an S3 and my only real gripe is the build quality.