E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > When one M6 just isn't enough!

09-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Merc SLS AMG & M3 (F80)

When one M6 just isn't enough!

Alright chaps

It's been a while since I've posted on here having spent more time on the M-Power area of PH where there's a lot of content relating to my temporary smoker (see below).

Anyway, I traded my latest M6 in a couple of months ago whilst I waited for my new M6 Competition Pack to arrive, which it did last Sunday. Believe it or not, it's the first time I've ever taken delivery of a new car on the day of a registration change!

And my write up comparing my early MY12 M6 to the latest MY14 Competiton Pack version has just hit the headlines on Bimmerpost Here's the write up and some pics of the new car UK's First M6 Competition Package and Review

My Temporary Smoker.....

In between M6's, I bought myself an e39 M5 to tide me over which has been an interesting challenge to get it to the fantastic condition it's now in.

I found it on eBay as a classified sale - it looked OK in the pics and promised to have a very good history and a tight, solid drive. And so it proved, the history is comprehensive (I think most receipts since new are present in the thick folder I have), fully stamped service book and it drove very well. It didn't seem to rattle in the engine area and it drove very, very well - it felt tight and totally free of knocks, clonks and rattles. It tracked straight and true, it pulled noticeably harder at 4k rpm and also when the sport button is pressed so, with my limited knowledge, I decided it was mechanically sound. It also had four good Continentals on it and MOT/ticket until December.

The not-so-good was a noticeable dampness underneath but on investigation I saw one of the rocker covers leaking so that didn't scare me in the slightest. I also noticed a vibration when braking so knew I'd need new brakes (but didn't know at the time just what that meant in terms of a financial impact!!). Finally, it had been fitted with a short-shift box which I found awful, truly evil.

The car was a state though, a cosmetic wreck. The trader I bought it from was pretty lazy in preparing it and the previous owner clearly didn't pay much attention to how it looked. Given I'm usually extremely fussy I'm surprised at myself for being able to see through this and consider the car for it's apparent mechanical strengths. I actually saw it as a challenge to get it to my standard, which largely means it needed to be 'like-new'!

I used the horrendous 'box and poor condition to get it for a price that I thought was cheap for a facelift car (5.9k, despite the advertised price being 7.7k!) but, even though I've spent considerably more than 50% of that again to get it to the standard it's at now, I'm utterly delighted with the result.

Here's what I've done in my pursuit of perfection:

Cosmetics (most of this done myself):
- Full machine polish and detail
- Wheels refurbed in OEM smoke chrome finish
- New badges and front grills as the originals had worn badly
- Renovation of exhaust tips (these were so bad that they took me 4-5 hours to get them to a reasonable, if still not perfect standard)
- Steering wheel re-trimmed (done by Royal Steering wheels in new OEM-spec leather and tricolour stitching; it looks brand new)
- New OEM illuminated gear lever and gaiter (from BMW)
- Cleaned and treated all the door and window seals so, apart from minor wear, they all look as-new and don't cause any creaks as is often the case with old cars and worn rubber seals (you don't immediately notice it when they're bad, but it's really is amazing how having these parts cleaned up improves the appearance of the car)
- New windscreen wipers
- Recondition of all leather so it all looks reasonably matt in appearance - OK, it's not brand new looking, but not bad overall
- Re-colouring of the leather on driver seat so it now has little/no wear showing where before it was full of deep scratches
- An almost complete strip of the interior, including seats and any easily removable trims and switches so I could get it properly clean - it really does look fantastic inside
- Dash pixel repair - typical e39 problem, now professionally repaired by Cartronix
- New centre armrest parts to replace work/tired looking parts
- New genuine carpet mats
- Upgraded MK4 sat nav with latest V32 software and 2013 maps (I can't believe just how much factory fit Nav has moved on given this now shows what was fitted to cars as late as 2005!)
- Boot light replaced
- Rear view mirror had a bubble in it so the auto-dimming didn't work - I ordered a new glass from the States and fixed it myself

Mechanically:
- Oil leaks....oh dear, this is where I got it a bit wrong. I diagnosed the rocker covers alright but was mortified when it was still leaking oil a couple of days after I had them fixed. The 'other' leak was from the sump gasket, a 7 hour job as it meant the removal of the front subframe and vrious other bits A week after I've had that repaired, it's still thankfully dry underneath!
- Removal of horrid short shift gear lever and fitted a new OEM one. The trader I bought it off had no idea so, in an attempt to try and fix the horribly notchy gear change caused by the short shift, he put in some of that Royal Purple gearbox oil (rather than the cheaper option of changing the gear lever back to standard!). Now though, the combination of the very good lubricant and the proper gear lever means it has a wonderfully fluid gear change
- New brakes - oooweee! New genuine discs and pads all-round was not cheap!
- New front suspension thrust control arms and front wishbones
- Replacement creaking steering components and full alignment
- New Lambda sensors

I've invested a considerable amount of time, effort and money to get it to where I'd like and, whilst this could be deemed a waste of time and money (given the short period that I planned on owning it), I've enjoyed it and took it to the 'Ring a couple of weeks ago which was a fun trip. I now have a stonkingly good M5 to.....umm.....sell

Mileage aside (it has 129k on the clock ) this is now a top notch e39 M5 with nearly all of the common foibles fixed, it's pretty good cosmetically and should prove relatively pretty trouble-free for it's new owner. I even have a guy interested in buying it without even advertising it (just from my blogs on PH!).....

As a car to drive, it's outrageously good for something so old and with such big mileage - even compared to the cars I've had, it's dynamically right up there with the modern stuff (restrictive DSC excepted as it really is quite crude by modern standards), it sounds great and it's plenty fast enough (although the extra 200bhp of the new M6 is definitely noticeable!). It's also the easiest car I've had to drift....I actually feel confident I can drift this car without crashing it In fact, outside of it looking a bit dated these days (although it still has a coolness to it, especially the 'fat' rear stance), feeling dated to sit in, particularly in respect of seats and driving position, I think it's all the car anyone could ever need!

If I actually thought I'd use it (which I won't with a brand new M6 parked next to it) or could justify storing, maintaining and insuring 3 cars (which I can't) then I'd love to keep it.

Previous: '13 BMW M6 Comp Pack | '11 Merc SLS AMG | '12 Jag XKR-S | '11 Range Rover Sport TDV6 | '11 Jag XKR | '10 Jag XFR | '11 BMW M3 DCT | '08 Maserati Granturismo S | '10 Porsche 911 Turbo | '10 Merc C63 AMG PPP | '09 Merc C63 AMG PP | '06 BMW M6 | '08 BMW M3 | '07 BMW 335i | '04 Alfa 147 GTA + Many others
Palmnuts is offline   United Kingdom
      09-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
peterg1965
Brigadier General

Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d M Sport

Andrew,

Your M5 is stunning and a very smart retro M car, I love it. If I had the spare money and a garage/barn, I would love to buy it, store it and cherish it. I would have been as obsessive as you in order to make it 'as new', I love little projects like that.

Now off to read about an M6!
peterg1965 is offline   United Kingdom
      09-07-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
Ste133
Lieutenant

Drives: A diesel..

I always make time to read your adventures, they never disappoint and always read well.

The m5 looks lovely. I thought about one before the 335d but was too scared in case I ended up buying a lemon.
Ste133 is offline   United Kingdom
      09-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
SF123D

Drives:

Another great read, reminds me of a 'Wheeler Dealers' episode with Mike Brewer / Edd China...

Hope you get all your money back (and more) for your efforts !!!
      09-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks chaps....I certainly won't get all my money back but I sort of knew that when I went all out on it. I'm quite attached to the M5 now as I've put so much personal effort into it (and it's actually one of the few cars I've ever owned outright lol!).
Previous: '13 BMW M6 Comp Pack | '11 Merc SLS AMG | '12 Jag XKR-S | '11 Range Rover Sport TDV6 | '11 Jag XKR | '10 Jag XFR | '11 BMW M3 DCT | '08 Maserati Granturismo S | '10 Porsche 911 Turbo | '10 Merc C63 AMG PPP | '09 Merc C63 AMG PP | '06 BMW M6 | '08 BMW M3 | '07 BMW 335i | '04 Alfa 147 GTA + Many others
      09-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
peterg1965
Brigadier General

Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Thanks chaps....I certainly won't get all my money back but I sort of knew that when I went all out on it. I'm quite attached to the M5 now as I've put so much personal effort into it (and it's actually one of the few cars I've ever owned outright lol!).
Andrew, cant you just keep it, put it in the garage under a bespoke BMW cover, battery conditioner connected? Get it out for special weekends/shows etc? I can't seeing these coming down much more in price especially when they are in such impressive condition as yours.
peterg1965 is offline   United Kingdom
      09-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #7
scottc
Captain

Drives: 911 Carrera S

Andrew, great looking M5 and credit to you for putting the work in to make it look like that.

I am with Pete on this one, could you not keep it and use it when the weather is good. Shame to let something go when you have put so much effort in.
      09-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
FRG530
Lieutenant

Drives: F10 530d

I would have seriously considered this car if it had been for sale when I bought the CS. Sounds like you've done a cracking job in sorting it out. GLWS. And I hope you enjoy the Comp Pack M6, beautiful car.
      09-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
SBE92LCI
Private First Class

Drives: BMW E92 320d LCI

The M5 now looks absolutely fantastic so, based on the description you gave of it prior to your work, I'd say you've done a rather good job.

I'm sure you've heard it time and again by now but the M6 is amazing. Great review of the car and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it further into ownership.
      09-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
dobbo99
Captain

Drives: e46 M3

Had I seen this a week ago, I probably would have taken this from you as I was fed up looking for M3's.
By reading your thread, Ive just found about Royal Steering wheels, so thanks for that.

Im sure you'll have no problems selling it on, looks pristine and its a hassle free purchase for an enthusiast.

p.s the steering wheel in the M6 looks the same as the other models, 1 and 3 series. Is it?

Last edited by dobbo99; 09-09-2013 at 06:12 AM.
      09-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
hmi1750
Major

Drives: M135i

Hi Andrew
Lovely car! Will be a lucky person who owns it next... what is your selling price? Have you advertised it yet?
      09-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks guys - yeah, I put a lot of effort into the M5. I hope the guy who has expressed an interest is genuine as it'll save a lot of hassle (he's been in regular contact).

Yes, I could keep it in the garage but it's not really that sort of car is it...it's nice, but not really 'special' enough. It will never get used, not with an M6 and shorty a M135i on the drive anyway! I doubt it's likely to appreciate hugely for a VERY long time either, not with the mileage on it anyway....watch me regret selling it when they're going for 30k in 2018!!

Dobbo...yes, the M6 steering wheel is the same as in some other M-Sports now....it came out in the M6 first (if that means anything) so was always likely to filter down at some point. It's a fabulous wheel - reminds me of very old-skool BMW M wheels like the E30 M3 / E34 M5....small round centre boss with thin rounded spokes. Amazing how they get an airbag these days into such a small centre boss!