E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > 07 335i Cold start shaking!!!

09-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Drives: BMW 335i premium package 19"ri

07 335i Cold start shaking!!!

As title said my car really shakes on cold start! 2007 335i coupe with 86,000 km
What could it be?
Briancanadiano is offline   Canada
      09-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
PA66400
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briancanadiano View Post
As title said my car really shakes on cold start! 2007 335i coupe with 86,000 km
What could it be?
Two common problems on a 335i of your vintage are faulty piezoelectric injector(s) or a failing high pressure fuel pump. The former results in very rough running upon cold start, with a gasoline smell (the injectors leak down overnight and flood the cylinders with gas). The roughness disappears when you restart, after a brief warm-up period. Expensive to have the dealer repair and no goodwill coverage or extended warranty.

A faulty HPFP has rough cold running after cold start, but is more characterized by a long cranking time, only on cold start. BMW Canada has extended the warranty on the HPFP for 2007-2010 335 N54 engines to 10 year/200,000kms. So, that fix is free. A dealer would have to diagnose the problem or a shop with a BMW specific scan tool (can read manufacturer specific codes).
PA66400 is offline   Canada
      09-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA66400 View Post
Two common problems on a 335i of your vintage are faulty piezoelectric injector(s) or a failing high pressure fuel pump. The former results in very rough running upon cold start, with a gasoline smell (the injectors leak down overnight and flood the cylinders with gas). The roughness disappears when you restart, after a brief warm-up period. Expensive to have the dealer repair and no goodwill coverage or extended warranty.

A faulty HPFP has rough cold running after cold start, but is more characterized by a long cranking time, only on cold start. BMW Canada has extended the warranty on the HPFP for 2007-2010 335 N54 engines to 10 year/200,000kms. So, that fix is free. A dealer would have to diagnose the problem or a shop with a BMW specific scan tool (can read manufacturer specific codes).
Thanks for your help! But crank time isn't long at all and car drives well just shakes at cold start. Will it eventually give out or should I check it out when I can? Don't wanna damage anything..
      09-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
PA66400
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Quote:
Thanks for your help! But crank time isn't long at all and car drives well just shakes at cold start. Will it eventually give out or should I check it out when I can? Don't wanna damage anything..
If it shakes only momentarily, you do not have the injector problem - that type of shaking lasts at least 5-10 mins. after cold start and is really, really rough.

I would not worry about it if I were you - doesn't sound expensive. That is as good as you can expect. Just make sure that your plugs and air filter have been replaced every 60K kms. - if not, that could be the cause.

Another potential problem is a bad ignition coil, but that is not terribly expensive and is not usually just at cold start. Unless you have a scan tool to pull codes, you would have to take it to BMW or a BMW indy shop to diagnose - it is all done by pulling misfire codes stored on the engine control module (engine computer). HTH
PA66400 is offline   Canada
      09-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
bimmergixxer
Private First Class

Drives: E90 SG

MY car used to shake upon start up every time it sat for more than a day, but stopped after changing the ignition coils. Mine is non turbo.
      09-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA66400 View Post
If it shakes only momentarily, you do not have the injector problem - that type of shaking lasts at least 5-10 mins. after cold start and is really, really rough.

I would not worry about it if I were you - doesn't sound expensive. That is as good as you can expect. Just make sure that your plugs and air filter have been replaced every 60K kms. - if not, that could be the cause.

Another potential problem is a bad ignition coil, but that is not terribly expensive and is not usually just at cold start. Unless you have a scan tool to pull codes, you would have to take it to BMW or a BMW indy shop to diagnose - it is all done by pulling misfire codes stored on the engine control module (engine computer). HTH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmergixxer View Post
MY car used to shake upon start up every time it sat for more than a day, but stopped after changing the ignition coils. Mine is non turbo.
Solenidade told me i need an intake valve cleaning. To much carbon build up causes that to. So for now I think I'm gonna do that and see if that resolves the issue. Thanks for your feedback everyone.
      09-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

*somebody
      09-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i

Did you ever do a carbon cleaning?
If not that's what would do first
COBB Powered, Spec2+, Wavetrac, DCI, Forge DV's, AR catless DP's, AA FMIC, M3 links & Sways, 19' BBS LM's wrapped in PSS, Zimmerman cross drilled rotors, hawk carbon pads, M3 Spoiler, AC roof Spoiler, Aero Lip, Vorsteiner Diffuser, m3 sides, Tinted, And One Happy BMW Driver.
      09-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Did you ever do a carbon cleaning?
If not that's what would do first
Ya already scheduled an appointment with ivo for Tuesday! Hopefully the car will feel better!
      09-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Ya already scheduled an appointment with ivo for Tuesday! Hopefully the car will feel better!
Nice it makes a difference in all aspects overall anyway.
Let us know
COBB Powered, Spec2+, Wavetrac, DCI, Forge DV's, AR catless DP's, AA FMIC, M3 links & Sways, 19' BBS LM's wrapped in PSS, Zimmerman cross drilled rotors, hawk carbon pads, M3 Spoiler, AC roof Spoiler, Aero Lip, Vorsteiner Diffuser, m3 sides, Tinted, And One Happy BMW Driver.
      09-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Nice it makes a difference in all aspects overall anyway.
Let us know
Will do!!
      09-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
joleel7
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 E90 335i

My 2009 335i had the same issue 3 out of my 6 injectors failed and my car was out of warranty but BMW replaced it free Last week my water pump failed on me and Town and Country will replace it free as well

OP if yours is the injectors issue BMW should cover it.
joleel7 is offline   Canada
      09-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joleel7 View Post
My 2009 335i had the same issue 3 out of my 6 injectors failed and my car was out of warranty but BMW replaced it free Last week my water pump failed on me and Town and Country will replace it free as well

OP if yours is the injectors issue BMW should cover it.
Mines hasn't thrown any codes though, did yours throw codes when you discovered that 3 injectors had failed? What's the mileage on yours?
      09-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
joleel7
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Mines hasn't thrown any codes though, did yours throw codes when you discovered that 3 injectors had failed? What's the mileage on yours?
Went to Indy shop they were able to read the faulty code so I took to dealer to replaced mine was on 40+ k
joleel7 is offline   Canada