E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Waste gate problem?

10-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Tiny Chainsaw
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

Waste gate problem?

Recently, my waste gate has been acting up. I was on the freeway and I lost a shitload of power and my exhaust was a lot noisier than usual. All signs of my waste gate not being able to close..

But I took my car to the dealership today, I haven't driven the car for two days either and it is much better and the foreman technician said that it felt fine to him. So I just took it back home and drove it for the first time in awhile. But now I noticed that I have a bunch of throttle lag and the car just feels less responsive and slower altogether. But still much better than before when I was getting no boost.

I feel that the car can't hold boost as well as before... Could this be due to a waste gate problem still?? Or is it something else? I'll probably drive it around for a week and bring it back in the next. The thing is that no CEL came up so I have no proof to show the dealership except my intuition.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
JStang
N54 ADDICT

Drives: FBO E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Chainsaw View Post
Recently, my waste gate has been acting up. I was on the freeway and I lost a shitload of power and my exhaust was a lot noisier than usual. All signs of my waste gate not being able to close..

But I took my car to the dealership today, I haven't driven the car for two days either and it is much better and the foreman technician said that it felt fine to him. So I just took it back home and drove it for the first time in awhile. But now I noticed that I have a bunch of throttle lag and the car just feels less responsive and slower altogether. But still much better than before when I was getting no boost.

I feel that the car can't hold boost as well as before... Could this be due to a waste gate problem still?? Or is it something else? I'll probably drive it around for a week and bring it back in the next. The thing is that no CEL came up so I have no proof to show the dealership except my intuition.
Do you have a tune? If you do and assuming that you uninstalled it prior to taking it to the dealership, you need to give it time to adapt.
      10-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Tiny Chainsaw
Second Lieutenant

No tune, bone stock except for berk midpipes and axleback
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States

Drives: 335i E92, 05 Audi S4

Garage List
2005 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
any reason for no tune?
      10-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Tiny Chainsaw
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED
Quote:
any reason for no tune?
No reason besides I just got the car last month. I'll put on tune after I get a better fmic and chargepipe and ditch the RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Nigelo
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335i se

Vacuum leak? Might just be the start of one - took me a week of symptoms like yours before I got a full underboost code. Had a split vacuum tank, and a couple of collapsed/blocked pipes.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
CustomColours
Banned

Drives: 335i SE

Could it be that they updated your software to 29.9 or higher thus getting lag?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
Tiny Chainsaw
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomColours View Post
Could it be that they updated your software to 29.9 or higher thus getting lag?
They didn't touch my car after the waste gate problem, I just let the foreman drive the car.

Now I've been noticing that I get throttle lag ]:

When I first got it this was not a problem at all, but after the lost in power/increase in exhaust noise that went away, throttle lag came into play... could the DME somehow recognized that I was getting 0 boost and reset itself?

I can tell that the throttle is much less responsive because when I downshift I have to push much harder on the the throttle for it to blip up, and also in higher gears with low revs, I have lag (gear 4, going 40-50 mph) I use to be able to pass up cars like nothing by just barely tapping the throttle, but now I can go full throttle and the car won't move until seconds later.. -__- this is so frustrating because the car was so perfect just a couple days ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot

Drives: E90 335i & C6 Grand Sport

Quote:
They didn't touch my car after the waste gate problem, I just let the foreman drive the car.

Now I've been noticing that I get throttle lag ]:

When I first got it this was not a problem at all, but after the lost in power/increase in exhaust noise that went away, throttle lag came into play... could the DME somehow recognized that I was getting 0 boost and reset itself?

I can tell that the throttle is much less responsive because when I downshift I have to push much harder on the the throttle for it to blip up, and also in higher gears with low revs, I have lag (gear 4, going 40-50 mph) I use to be able to pass up cars like nothing by just barely tapping the throttle, but now I can go full throttle and the car won't move until seconds later.. -__- this is so frustrating because the car was so perfect just a couple days ago.
Could be one of the wastegates intermittently binding or an issue with the vacuum control system as others mentioned. All pretty easy stuff the test if you have a hand vacuum pump and gauge.
      10-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
N54 Curt

Drives: 2008 335xi

I had the same exact issue two weeks ago. Took my car in because I noticed the issue and could get it to throw a code when revving above around 4000 rpm.

They first thought it was just a vacuum leak which they found right by the waste gate. They fixed the vacuum leak and the car felt much more responsive already, however I test the car by going above 4000 rpm just to make sure the issue is resolved and sure enough it throws the code again and loses power.

I take the car back and get both turbos replaced with costs covered because of the SI B01 02 12 warranty. I call today to check on the car, my SA tells me that I now need my waste gate solenoid valve actuator replaced and they car should be ready in the next two days.

Long story short I am not very happy with all the issues and hope that this actuator valve is the last piece of the puzzle to get my car back. I've been without it for two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Tiny Chainsaw
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 Curt
I had the same exact issue two weeks ago. Took my car in because I noticed the issue and could get it to throw a code when revving above around 4000 rpm.

They first thought it was just a vacuum leak which they found right by the waste gate. They fixed the vacuum leak and the car felt much more responsive already, however I test the car by going above 4000 rpm just to make sure the issue is resolved and sure enough it throws the code again and loses power.

I take the car back and get both turbos replaced with costs covered because of the SI B01 02 12 warranty. I call today to check on the car, my SA tells me that I now need my waste gate solenoid valve actuator replaced and they car should be ready in the next two days.

Long story short I am not very happy with all the issues and hope that this actuator valve is the last piece of the puzzle to get my car back. I've been without it for two weeks.
I would be glad to get new turbos!! Especially if they are updated versions, but the thing is my car didn't throw codes. It happened once and now it doesn't seem to happen anymore. Everything is normal now except for the lag, which I hope will go away too. Sucks that the DME isn't throwing any codes so I am clueless to what happened. Car runs normal in 1st and 2nd gear, there is slight lag in 3rd and major lag in all other gears. Car only has 17k miles too 02/09 build.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
N54 Curt

Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
I would be glad to get new turbos!! Especially if they are updated versions, but the thing is my car didn't throw codes. It happened once and now it doesn't seem to happen anymore. Everything is normal now except for the lag, which I hope will go away too. Sucks that the DME isn't throwing any codes so I am clueless to what happened. Car runs normal in 1st and 2nd gear, there is slight lag in 3rd and major lag in all other gears. Car only has 17k miles too 02/09 build.
That's odd, mine was lagging in the lower gears horribly but performed best at highway speeds. Car has just been racking my brain for the last week and is frustrating not knowing what will fix it, hope something comes about for yours, odd that it is fine in the lower gears when the turbos technically should take longer to spool up
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
Tiny Chainsaw
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 Curt View Post
That's odd, mine was lagging in the lower gears horribly but performed best at highway speeds. Car has just been racking my brain for the last week and is frustrating not knowing what will fix it, hope something comes about for yours, odd that it is fine in the lower gears when the turbos technically should take longer to spool up
Yeah I don't know, if anything the problem should arise again and then I'll bring it back to the dealership.

For now I'm just gonna deal with it
Appreciate 0