E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Fan blower help

10-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
imygaf
Private First Class

Drives: e92 325i

Fan blower help

I posted this in general section but had no response so trying here.

Last night was driving home about 10.30 and for the first time since summer the car gave the warning sound for low temp. Then when i was leaving for work this morning windscreen was all iced up. So winters officially here.

Anyway, this morning when i put on the blower to defrost the screen i was reminded of a strange problem that i had last winter and then forgot about. I pressed screen demist button which should turn the blower on full speed right?

Well when i press it the blower does come on and the display shows it as max speed, but it doesnt feel or sound like its on max. However as soon as i start to drive off it suddenly comes to life the way it should be. I dont even have to actually move the car. As soon as i bring the clutch to biting point there is a sudden rush of air. But then when driving the speed occasionally drops for a few seconds and then fixes itself. I have tried manually adjusting the speed to max but the same thing happens. If i rev the engine in neutral it doesnt make any difference, only when its in gear. Any ideas how to fix this?
      10-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
turbomike
enjoying my e91 mmmhhh

Drives: 335d e91

I had a problem a few years ago with my blower sometimes it would work ok but other it would vary in speed or not come on for 5/10 mins when i checked the blower the resister pack on the back of it was shot and also my connecter was all chard these things pull a lot of amps I ended up replacing the whole unit and re crimping the connectors with large spades, so far its never repeated the problem.
turbomike is offline   United Kingdom
      10-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
imygaf
Private First Class

Drives: e92 325i

Is that a straight forward diy job? Dont suppose you could point me towards a guide?

Ill have a search anyway
      11-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
RT-290

Drives: 2006 325i

I had the same problem. I replaced the resistor but still had it. Could have saved the $100 for the part by testing my battery. When the voltage falls the car will cut out functions not deemed necessary, including the fan. Charge your battery overnight first to see if that fixes the problem.

Joel
      11-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Digitalize
Photographer

Drives: E91 320D M Sport TiAg

As said, try charging first, but if not, most likely the burnt resistor and the entire unit being changed isn't a bad idea, as they do wear/rust.
Digitalize is offline   United Kingdom