E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Stamp duty



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
CYL
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Stamp duty

Hi, may I ask if I buy a car from Qld and ship back to WA, can I pay the stamp duty in Qld in order to enjoy a lower stamp duty rate than paying here in WA?

According to Department of Finance (WA)

http://www.finance.wa.gov.au/cms/content.aspx?id=3081

"The following are exempt from vehicle licence duty:
"........Where a vehicle in the applicant's name has previously been registered in another State/Territory in Australia or another Country....."

Have anyone tried paying stamp duty in another state and escape from the stamp duty payable in your state previously?
CYL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

Short answer: Yes - but probably not.

You pay stamp duty when you transfer it into your name, so you'd need to go into a QLD government shopfront and transfer it. Show your licence etc.. If it's a WA licence and you claim you live in QLD then they will get you to transfer your licence also - game over.

In saying that - I've done it! I live in the ACT and when I bought my 73' 911, it had NSW plates. I also managed to get the plates NIN311 (available through NSWRego for $210!) and so I wanted to keep it in NSW. A mate of mine owned a butchers shop in Sutton NSW (not far from ACT) and so I got a letter from him stating that the car was kept in his garage as it wasn't my daily drive - only a weekender (it was my daily!). SO although I had an ACT licence, the registration papers stated the car must be regestered to its garage address - not the owners.

Unless you say you keep your car over in QLD as that's where it's garaged, I don't like your chances.
Gemballa1980 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
CYL
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemballa1980 View Post
Short answer: Yes - but probably not.

You pay stamp duty when you transfer it into your name, so you'd need to go into a QLD government shopfront and transfer it. Show your licence etc.. If it's a WA licence and you claim you live in QLD then they will get you to transfer your licence also - game over.

In saying that - I've done it! I live in the ACT and when I bought my 73' 911, it had NSW plates. I also managed to get the plates NIN311 (available through NSWRego for $210!) and so I wanted to keep it in NSW. A mate of mine owned a butchers shop in Sutton NSW (not far from ACT) and so I got a letter from him stating that the car was kept in his garage as it wasn't my daily drive - only a weekender (it was my daily!). SO although I had an ACT licence, the registration papers stated the car must be regestered to its garage address - not the owners.

Unless you say you keep your car over in QLD as that's where it's garaged, I don't like your chances.

Ic...thanks.
Well, I have sent enquiries to both the authority in Qld and Wa , as well as the dealership, to get a more clear definition in how stamp duty is affected when it is an interstate purchase. So far, dealership replied me that Qld recently change their system, and will not allow interstate buyer to pay stamp duty in Qld even if he can provide with a Qld address.
Thanks a lot.
CYL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
33mjb
New Member
 
33mjb's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 320i Exec
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

As far as I know, you will have to pay the stamp duty when you try to transfer or re-register the car. So that means the only way to pay it in QLD would be to transfer it to you in QLD. It sounds like Gemballa's solution may work if you had proof that it was being garaged in QLD, otherwise I don't think its possible:

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/registrati...istration.aspx

Last edited by 33mjb; 10-11-2013 at 08:49 PM.
33mjb is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Kevlemanblue
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Bmw E90 LCI
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

I bought my car from WA, I'm from Tassie, I had the car registered under his name and sent to me, handed plates in paid the duty and I am receiving the refund of the left rego on the previous plates..

Also because they calculate duty off purchase price, as I bought from a private seller I had to give them a invoice.. Didn't pay as much as I should have
If you're buying from the dealer, they will most likely give you a 7-14 permit, so you should be reimbursed because they are handing the plates in to their state office.

Cheers
Kevlemanblue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
33mjb
New Member
 
33mjb's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 320i Exec
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

I purchased my car in Vic and brought it to QLD. Drove it back, got QLD roadworthy, registered from scratch in QLD (including paying the stamp duty), cancelled Vic Rego, surrendered plates and got refund
33mjb is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
PerthBMW
First Lieutenant
 
PerthBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 325i M Sports Innovation
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth Western Australia

Posts: 303
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
Hi, may I ask if I buy a car from Qld and ship back to WA, can I pay the stamp duty in Qld in order to enjoy a lower stamp duty rate than paying here in WA?

According to Department of Finance (WA)

http://www.finance.wa.gov.au/cms/content.aspx?id=3081

"The following are exempt from vehicle licence duty:
"........Where a vehicle in the applicant's name has previously been registered in another State/Territory in Australia or another Country....."

Have anyone tried paying stamp duty in another state and escape from the stamp duty payable in your state previously?
The advice I have received is that you do nto leaglly have to register a car to purchase it. You would not be able to drive it of course but you can buy in Qld, not register it, ship to Perth and then register here.

Not sure that delivers any saving however, but an interesting concept.
PerthBMW is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
CYL
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Thanks everyone, so far, I have got some replies from the dealer, I suspect it was ok to pay stamp duty in QLD instead of to pay at WA, but QLD has recently changed the law, and there is no more way to avoid paying stamp duty rate in WA by paying in QLD, which the rate is much lower.
CYL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
suff
On the hunt for PSI
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Perth, WA

Posts: 716
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
Thanks everyone, so far, I have got some replies from the dealer, I suspect it was ok to pay stamp duty in QLD instead of to pay at WA, but QLD has recently changed the law, and there is no more way to avoid paying stamp duty rate in WA by paying in QLD, which the rate is much lower.
Hi,

This is simply not the case, and highlights the typical attitude of a dealer (they just want your money after all!)

To purchase a car from QLD and pay the applicable QLD stamp duty rates, you need to take delivery of the vehicle in QLD (you don't have to "be" there), to do this you will need to provide an address for the vehicle to be registered at and either proof of residence ($10/Month Phone contract to said address does the trick nicely), or a letter independantly verifying that you will be living at said address until such time that you find your own residence.

I have purchased three cars from QLD doing exactly this, and have never had an issue (and another two from NSW under exactly the same model (although thanks to a blunder I did have to attend a NSW DoT office when I bought the F30)

Hope that helps
__________________
2012 Audi Q7 3.0TFSI - Mineral White

2010 M3 E90 - Alpine White
suff is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
CYL
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suff View Post
Hi,

This is simply not the case, and highlights the typical attitude of a dealer (they just want your money after all!)

To purchase a car from QLD and pay the applicable QLD stamp duty rates, you need to take delivery of the vehicle in QLD (you don't have to "be" there), to do this you will need to provide an address for the vehicle to be registered at and either proof of residence ($10/Month Phone contract to said address does the trick nicely), or a letter independantly verifying that you will be living at said address until such time that you find your own residence.

I have purchased three cars from QLD doing exactly this, and have never had an issue (and another two from NSW under exactly the same model (although thanks to a blunder I did have to attend a NSW DoT office when I bought the F30)

Hope that helps
Hi, thanks for that. But the dealer said that it can't be done in that way now already? Even if that works, the shipping address of the car is still WA....
Or if the dealer ships the car to a particular said address in Qld, then, who is going to help me ship the car to WA?
Sorry...not fully understand how that works.
CYL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
skidz
Banned
 
Drives: 1mers nuts :D
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: unda da bridge

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suff View Post
Hi,

This is simply not the case, and highlights the typical attitude of a dealer (they just want your money after all!)

To purchase a car from QLD and pay the applicable QLD stamp duty rates, you need to take delivery of the vehicle in QLD (you don't have to "be" there), to do this you will need to provide an address for the vehicle to be registered at and either proof of residence ($10/Month Phone contract to said address does the trick nicely), or a letter independantly verifying that you will be living at said address until such time that you find your own residence.

I have purchased three cars from QLD doing exactly this, and have never had an issue (and another two from NSW under exactly the same model (although thanks to a blunder I did have to attend a NSW DoT office when I bought the F30)

Hope that helps
i think it is a bit unfair to say that when you are in effect enrolling the dealer in your fraudulant activity. what CAN be done is very different from what SHOULD be done, afterall if they got caught they could lose their license.
skidz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
CYL
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Thanks everyone. I will just pay the WA stamp duty now.
And for the stamp duty, normally, they will post the invoice to you for the stamp duty payable, but is there any difference if I register an interstate vehicle now?
I know that I have to get a temporary driving permit, then get the car examined, pay for car plate, and then I can drive away the licence centre and wait for the stamp duty invoice?

Would also like to know any area that I have to pay attention to when I get the car licensed or get it examined here in WA.....
Such as a 30% brake pad left, brake rotor wear lips, minor oil leak around engine, will any of these fail the examination?
Thanks
CYL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #13
ZiggyJJ
New Member
 
Drives: E92 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Perth

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
Would also like to know any area that I have to pay attention to when I get the car licensed or get it examined here in WA.....
Such as a 30% brake pad left, brake rotor wear lips, minor oil leak around engine, will any of these fail the examination?
Thanks
I have had all my cars purchased from interstate, they will just go over the car and make sure you have no unapproved modifications and complies with safety & emmissions etc. Out of all my cars I was only ever defected on a WRX (picked me up on a BOV and genuine STI pedals about 10yrs ago (the second inspector said pedals shouldn't have been defected when I took it back for reinspection).

The things you have listed above are all maintenance which will pass.

Our cars are probably on the same truck over from QLD - mine supposedly left in the last few days, can't wait!!!!
ZiggyJJ is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #14
CYL
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyJJ View Post
I have had all my cars purchased from interstate, they will just go over the car and make sure you have no unapproved modifications and complies with safety & emmissions etc. Out of all my cars I was only ever defected on a WRX (picked me up on a BOV and genuine STI pedals about 10yrs ago (the second inspector said pedals shouldn't have been defected when I took it back for reinspection).

The things you have listed above are all maintenance which will pass.

Our cars are probably on the same truck over from QLD - mine supposedly left in the last few days, can't wait!!!!
Hi ZiggyJJ, thanks, so worried about those items will fail the examination.
what about stamp duty? i heard that i have to pay it off straight away at the licence centre counter instead of waiting for the invoice to come which normally do?
CYL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #15
ZiggyJJ
New Member
 
Drives: E92 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Perth

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
Hi ZiggyJJ, thanks, so worried about those items will fail the examination.
what about stamp duty? i heard that i have to pay it off straight away at the licence centre counter instead of waiting for the invoice to come which normally do?
Yes that's correct, bring your cheque book or credit card and pay over 2 to 3k in SD which could've been spent on car mods!!

I used to put mine over the pits on O'connor, but just noticed that one no longer exists - looks like Osborne Park may be the next choice.
ZiggyJJ is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #16
CYL
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyJJ View Post
Yes that's correct, bring your cheque book or credit card and pay over 2 to 3k in SD which could've been spent on car mods!!

I used to put mine over the pits on O'connor, but just noticed that one no longer exists - looks like Osborne Park may be the next choice.
I thought I can pay it in 28 days?
CYL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #17
CYL
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Too bad that my immediate mod list will be shortened if that's the case.
CYL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST