E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DPF sensor tubing leak...

10-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
fongboy
Private
United_States

Drives: AW 2010 335d non-sport, JBD

DPF sensor tubing leak...

Went to the dealer for a whooshing sound coming from the engine bay and an exhaust smell from inside. But before I looked around and found this hole in some tubing on the turbo side. Wasn't sure what it was till I brought it to the dealer. The tech said its part of a DPF sensor and emissions control thing. Didn't really give me any specifics. Cars going in tomorrow to be fixed and should be all good.

But I was wondering how did that hole develop? Does anyone think it could be the JBD affecting the emissions system, or anything else, causing premature wear?? It just doesn't seem like that should happen after only 31000 miles...maybe I drive the car too hard?? Any input would be appreciated

Here's a video of it:
      10-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rico

Drives: Montego Blue 335d

I dont think a piggyback or a flash does this, it maybe a defective part
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Hoooper
Captain

Drives: 335D

yeah theres no reason a tune would contribute to this, it was hard to tell from the video but does it look like a puncture hole, tear, crack, or blow out? Looks like maybe it goes to the exhaust backpressure sensor?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
bdwyer
Enlisted Member

Drives: '11 335d

I had this same thing happen to my car with roughly 53k on the clock maybe like two months ago. I think what happens is that hose gets really hot, so it eventually gets brittle and cracks or pops.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that experienced that issue. Please post if they replace anything else as a result of the failure, I'm interested to see if they replace the pressure sensor that line connects to.

Here is a link to my post on this issue: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880159
      10-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Socom
BMWCCA since '03
United_States

Drives: 2015 435i

I've been wondering if German environment regulations regarding the biodegradable plastics is what has been giving the german automotive industry fits?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
NorthernCAE90
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Hey fongboy sorry for being VERY off topic , but I've been in love with your pics of your car with the Sportlines cs16's on it. I'm really really interested in this wheel ( as it a CSL rep, and the lightest csl rep!) but I'm having a hard time finding many, if any reviews on them. I noticed you purchased them a little over a year& a Half ago. How have the rims held up? How was the finish? any imperfections? how did they fit? no problems?Do you have any negative comments on them? Any advice or information on these rims is greatly appreciated!! Once again I apologize for going off topic but I'd really like some feedback on these rims!!
Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
fongboy
Private
United_States

Drives: AW 2010 335d non-sport, JBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCAE90 View Post
Hey fongboy sorry for being VERY off topic , but I've been in love with your pics of your car with the Sportlines cs16's on it. I'm really really interested in this wheel ( as it a CSL rep, and the lightest csl rep!) but I'm having a hard time finding many, if any reviews on them. I noticed you purchased them a little over a year& a Half ago. How have the rims held up? How was the finish? any imperfections? how did they fit? no problems?Do you have any negative comments on them? Any advice or information on these rims is greatly appreciated!! Once again I apologize for going off topic but I'd really like some feedback on these rims!!
Thank you!!
No problem. I've actually been wanting to do a write up on the wheels as I have just had to replace all of them, but let me explain the whole story a bit.

I bought the wheels about a year and half ago in 18x8.5 ET35. Since I wanted to stick with RFT I was limited to tire sizes. It was either 225 or go a little larger at 245( 235 would have been optimal but they don't exist for eft). Anyways, after discussing with a rep at mod bargains I was told it was better to run the 225 square set safely even though it will stretch a little since it's not exactly the correct size for an 8.5 rim.

After the tires were mounted, the installer let me feel the weight difference between my stock rims with rft and the sportline with rft. What a difference it was! Anyways, taking a spin after all wheels were mounted the difference was quite noticeable. Steering and road feel was a bit more responsive and acceleration may have been increased due to the reduced weight but they could just be a placebo affect. Also, the ride was a little harsher which I think was due to the 225 tires. Overall, I was very happy with the purchase.

Now lets get to the not pretty stuff that happened after about 2 years with them. First, let me say that the car is not driven on the smoothest roads and is probably the cause(along with the 225 tires) of what I'm about to tell. After one week of the back right tire consistently losing air all the way down to the rim, I brought it to the dealer for them to put it on the lift. I went under with the tech and discovered that the two right tires were bother cracked on the inside lip of the rim and was causing the leak in the back. They were pretty big and I wasn't happy. We also spun all the tires and found them all to be bent, which is probably what caused my slight vibration on the highway at 80mph. So that's that.

My analysis of this whole situation is that these would have been great rims if and only I had purchased either the correct 235 non rft tire or the 245 rft tire. Because I think having the 225 be little small for the rim and being a rft, it put a lot of stress on the wheels when driving through the "great" roads of the north. To sum it up I would if you are going to get these, you definitely should but get the right tire size especially if you don't have glass roads. Other than that you prob can get away with running the 225s. Sorry the long write up but hopefully it clears up some things and helps you make your purchase.

P.s I ended up getting new alufelgen cs7's and ditched the run flats to run the correct non rft 235 setup. The ride it also a lot smoother with the recommended tire.

Michael