E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > My installs - nexus 7 2nd Gen

10-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
J Dub
Private First Class

Drives: E90 2007 MSport 2.0d

My installs - nexus 7 2nd Gen

Hi all,

I guess I am posting this in the right please, pictures and what I have used and done to install my Nexus 7 in the E90.
I will add another post to this one at some point of my dash cam also.

So my goal was to add a nexus 7 (2nd generation) to my car as I have no CCC / CIC. For it not to look just thrown together and to send its sound to Aux input, be able to charge it and remove it easily for security and personal use without leaving a trail of nasty looking brackets.

Parts used

Nexus 7 2nd gen
Kuda dash mount part #292395 Import form Germany
Brodit move clip part #215503 Mountonus.com
Brodit Nexus 7 mount Part # 511412 (this is to be sold as was incorrect)- mountonus.com
Brodit nexus 7 2nd gen mount part #511560 - drivesafeandlegal.co.uk
Dual USB 12v charger 3.6amp powergen Amazon
USB charging cable and 3.5mm to 3.5mm Cable lengths to suit sourced ebay.

Tools and other bits Drill, drill bits (1.5mm), plastic trim removal tools, Philips screwdriver, double sided foam tape, black cable ties.

Approx cost inc tablet - 325.00 Time taken ages as I had to wait for parts, days off. Opinion on project Works a treat

So my Dash as I started.

Next I added the Kuda dash mount, I imported it from Germany, the fit was good, yet could be a little better.

Once I knew the Kuda fitted, I added to it a quick release Brodit mount, this makes life easier and cleaner looking when nothing is in the car, also allows me to easily change to something different at any point.

Then fitted this back to the Dash of the car.

Add the cradle for the Nexus, the first one I got was the wrong one, so had to order the right one from another supplier, gutted as that was 35.00 wasted, yet will stick it on ebay, I got one for first gen and needed 2nd gen.

Next was a 3.5mm cable to the Aux input, I just tucked this behind the trim running along the passenger side, down the side, under glove box, along the centre consul and to the Aux in, except what you see, you don't know its there.

I put a small hole and used a rubber grommet in the side of the centre arm rest storage area and ran the cable in.

Regarding charging, the nexus lasts forever in a day on a charge, I played with charging cables and could not get it looking tidy, so decided if it needs a charge, I have a 3.6amp usb charger and a cable i can plug in for as and when, this will charge it fast, yet I take the tablet out anyway, so it should be charged most of the time.

So here it is all coming together, this is without the 3.5mm Aux plugged in.

Here it is with the 3.5mm plugged in, ok a right angle one would be better, yet hindsight is a great thing.

So please be gentle with me, as my first this is what I have done write up. As i say i will add one at some point about my dash cam, well mounted by the mirror cam, any questions please feel free to ask.

I am most pleased with this and have to say you hardly notice it, I can rotate the nexus and have to say using the forward facing cam works well too, yet mine is not really high enough to make it that great.
      10-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
parapaul
Colonel

Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Nice work!

I'd love to something like this too, but I wondered about installing an in-car wifi hotspot somehow, to allow streaming of maps and music from Google. I have a couple of questions:

1. From where you've mounted it, how is the GPS signal? And have you tried using Google Maps for navigation yet?

GPS + nav + screen at 100% drinks the battery on my phone almost as quick as it can charge, be interesting to see if the N7 is similar.

2. How is the music quality using the 3.5mm cable? Compared to, say, an mp3 CD or a standard audio CD?

Thanks
      10-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
J Dub
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post

1. From where you've mounted it, how is the GPS signal? And have you tried using Google Maps for navigation yet?

GPS signal is fine, not tried google maps with anger or any other sat nav as yet, but will be doing so. I am able to tether to my phone if i want, so can have a net connection, the joy of unlimited data

Quote:

2.GPS + nav + screen at 100% drinks the battery on my phone almost as quick as it can charge, be interesting to see if the N7 is similar.

I have not really noticed it being that bad with the playing I have done so far, yet I can charge it at a rate that it charges faster than it drains if I need to, again i will come back to this as I find out. I have a run to Scotland the end of the year, a 7 hour drive, so that's when i will know.

Quote:

3. How is the music quality using the 3.5mm cable? Compared to, say, an mp3 CD or a standard audio CD?

Thanks
I am using the winamp app, sounds great to me, a lot will depend upon the MP3 quality you have on there also, yet sounds as good as anything else that comes out those not so great speakers (yet ok) does

Quote:

Nice work!
and thank you
      10-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
dubdemand
First Lieutenant

Drives: 320d M Sport Coupe

Top work and a clean looking install! The German mount looks good and I think I prefer it to the dash trim option from brodit! Might have to look into this...
      10-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
xPETEZx
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 325i SE 6MT (E90 LCI)

Nice!

Could you not have run a USB lead the same route as your 3.5mm jack?
Then put your USB charger in the under armrest cig lighter instead? (This is how I currently have it setup for my S3 cradle)

Also, do you have a link to your 3.6amp charger?
I have a 2amp charger and its fine for charging the phone if I lock the screen, but if running Sat Nav or something where I need the screen on, it barely chargers. Will get maybe 1-3% more on a 30 min drive
xPETEZx is offline   United Kingdom
      10-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
J Dub
Private First Class

I looked at the charging lead taking that route, yet to tuck the cable up in the trim along the passenger side, it was starting to look just a little untidy, you could see it due to thickness of cables, so went against it. If it becomes a problem I will revisit charging.

For the ciggy USB charger look here http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerGen-Cha...wergen+cjarger

WoW big link, in short amazon, I have 3 of the things as they are great, I have 12v in the ash tray, arm rest and 2 for the back seats, keeps everyone happy, the other half sits on her tablet in the front, her daughter has one in the back we are all winners
      10-18-2013, 03:14 AM   #7
rich1068
has left the building

Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Nice work!
I agree. Well done to the OP.

Re: Google Maps. Different devices but we use our Nexus phones (Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4) all the time in my wife's non-nav S-Max and it works very well. I can't see using the Nexus 7 being an issue.
rich1068 is offline   United Kingdom
      10-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
xPETEZx
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 325i SE 6MT (E90 LCI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dub View Post
I looked at the charging lead taking that route, yet to tuck the cable up in the trim along the passenger side, it was starting to look just a little untidy, you could see it due to thickness of cables, so went against it. If it becomes a problem I will revisit charging.

For the ciggy USB charger look here http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerGen-Cha...wergen+cjarger

WoW big link, in short amazon, I have 3 of the things as they are great, I have 12v in the ash tray, arm rest and 2 for the back seats, keeps everyone happy, the other half sits on her tablet in the front, her daughter has one in the back we are all winners
Awesome!
thanks.

Can you let me know if its possible to put this charger in the cig socket under the armrest and still close it with a USB cable plugged in?
xPETEZx is offline   United Kingdom
      10-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
adamroutley
Private First Class

Drives: 320d M-sport Touring E90

FANTASTIC work!! Will most definitely be using this at some point as I LOVE the new Nexus!
      10-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
IanS100
Colonel

Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus

Quote:
1. From where you've mounted it, how is the GPS signal?
I use CamerAlert on a Nexus 7, which I shove in the gap between the passenger seat / centre console & never have any problems with GPS signal.
IanS100 is offline   United Kingdom
      10-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
Russbmw
Lieutenant

Drives: '09 e92 335

Nice work man.

If you use a different navigation software, you don't need to use google and hence no data connection required.

I use OsmAnd+ on my phone when I'm using it as a satnav on the motorbike or mountainbike, so I can disable all mobile connections and thus eek the battery life out as long as possible. It's free, and you can download maps for anywhere and everywhere.

It's works very well, although the interface takes a little while to figure out.

CLICK ON MY SIGNATURE PICTURE BELOW FOR MY DETAILING WORK PAGE!
Russbmw is offline   United Kingdom
      10-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
rich1068
has left the building

Drives: F30 330d M Sport

But don't forget you can cut down on the data used by Google Maps by storing map data on your device.
rich1068 is offline   United Kingdom
      10-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
J Dub
Private First Class

Thanks all. I was originally a little hmm should I because the cost of the brackets, yet think its worth the cost for the finish. Ideal world you would see no cables, yet it does not work like that, I may look at a right angle 3.5mm at some point, yet thats me being fussy.
I will do some pictures of my Drift HD ghost cam set up too at some point as well.
I used the nexus, yet any 7" will work like this, the GF daughter has a galaxy tab 2 in the back, I do have a wireless network server that I can plug into the car with 160GB or storage for music and films on long trips, something I built and use to use in my E46, yet now I see you can get for little money much better set ups. I love my tech gadgets lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPETEZx View Post
Awesome!
thanks.

Can you let me know if its possible to put this charger in the cig socket under the armrest and still close it with a USB cable plugged in?
Yes it does, bit tight, yet its fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Nice work man.

If you use a different navigation software, you don't need to use google and hence no data connection required.

I use OsmAnd+ on my phone when I'm using it as a satnav on the motorbike or mountainbike, so I can disable all mobile connections and thus eek the battery life out as long as possible. It's free, and you can download maps for anywhere and everywhere.

It's works very well, although the interface takes a little while to figure out.
I am going to look at different sat navs, I like the word free yet also going to look at co pilot yet, so will explore this aswell.

Last edited by J Dub; 10-18-2013 at 11:30 AM.
J Dub is offline   United Kingdom
      10-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
IanS100
Colonel

Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dub View Post
I am going to look at different sat navs, I like the word free yet also going to look at co pilot yet, so will explore this aswell.
I would steer well clear of CoPilot, although visually it is very good, routing is really bizarre at times - TomTom doesn't look as good but it's a much better Sat Nav
IanS100 is offline   United Kingdom
      10-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
J Dub
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
I would steer well clear of CoPilot, although visually it is very good, routing is really bizarre at times - TomTom doesn't look as good but it's a much better Sat Nav
I have a tom tom and to be honest, never really liked it that much, also the tom tom one is well over priced. Lots of mixed reports about coPilot the more I look at it, may just try something like free nav and see what happens, its a bloody mine field
      10-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
ArsE92
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335i SE

Nice work, looks very tidy.

Have you considered a Bluetooth gateway instead of using the 3.5mm? I have one in my arm rest. Powered by the USB and let's me stream from my Nexus 4.

Look on EBay for 'BlackBerry Stereo Gateway'. Under 20 and they work fine with the Nexus.
ArsE92 is offline   United Kingdom
      10-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
J Dub
Private First Class

Thank you Yes thought about it, yet because I managed to cable it tidy I am happy with the 3.5mm. Means i got bluetooth for anything else and also less battery drain.
      10-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #18
B33M3R
Captain

Drives: F10 520d M Sport

Have you thought about getting a bluetooth OBD2 adaptor. Could add a bit of fun
F10 520d M Sport Auto - Sophisto Grey Xirallic - 19" 351M - HK Audio - Sun Protection Glass - Spoiler - Professional Media - Enhanced Bluetooth - Adaptive Headlights - MFD - Ambient Lighting - Folding Mirrors - Reversing Camera
Check out my E90stereo install guide - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540954
B33M3R is offline   United Kingdom
      10-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #19
J Dub
Private First Class

Oh yes, its on my list, want to try to decide on a sat nav for it first, I have downloaded free nav today to give a try too. Also looking for other apps, no idea what, yet looking ha ha but torque is on the list so I can bore passengers on long trips with stats and facts lol
Out of interest anyone used or know about BMWHAT?

Last edited by J Dub; 10-20-2013 at 06:39 AM.
J Dub is offline   United Kingdom
      10-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
Broken_Gearbox
Lieutenant

Drives: E92

beautifully done
      12-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #21
steveindabmer
Registered

Drives: 2011 328xi

That looks sweet. Do you remember the length for the aux cable? it will save me the trouble to measure as Id like to do the same thing for mine.
      12-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #22
J Dub
Private First Class

I have a feeling it was 4m of the top of my head, one thing I have changed slightly since fitting it is I have added a right angle 3.5mm on the nexus end as it looks a lot tidier like that.
I am now using winamp for music and co-pilot for sat nav (got it on offer for 14.99) have to say works a treat with speed cameras to.
I have just done a 1000 mile round trip and was most please with it, yet battery power does fad pretty quick with GPS running.