E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Stanadyne Performance Formula

10-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #23
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel

Drives: Montego Blue 335d

I trust my own judgement in using additives I have been using them for over 20 years and of course AMSOIL, I cannot vouch for others but if you ask me YES!! use additives. is it damn if you or damn if you dont, I hear it from TRUCKERS to use it!!!!
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Puerto Rican 335d is offline   Puerto Rico
      10-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #24
Pierre Louis
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335d Sport Package

Hereis an interesting take (albeit 2007) on how the market is for additives and other technology in the trucking business. Not too different today with engine manufacturers not recommending, while others experimenting and finding some improvements.
      10-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #25
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel

very interesting read, but I ask you then, you agree that additives enhance the vehicle to respond properly?
      10-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #26
Pierre Louis
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
very interesting read, but I ask you then, you agree that additives enhance the vehicle to respond properly?
I have no idea. The way I percieve that my car drives often involves the way I feel that day. The decision would be how much trouble I would go to for what benefit.

If I actually thought it would help, and not cause any side effects, but that it would only extend my engine life by 3% from 300,000 miles to 309,000 miles, I would save the trouble and the money. Additives were originally designed to solve problems, not prevent them per se. The newest ASTM specifications were declared to improve diesel fuel consistency and quality by those that put them into effect/designed them.

The additive manufacturers have data they don't publish. Why is this? As a scientifically minded person, I would think its the same reason UFO's appear only in remote areas and cause pictures to become fuzzy. They never seem to appear in broad daylight in the middle of a large population, for example, to prove they exist. If the data was compelling, it seems logical that they would take advantage and show an advantage. Of course, this would make the oil giants notice and bring up their game, so the consumer would win. Its happened before where engine problems were solved with improvments in fuel or in oil.

So no, like anything else that is too good to be true, I don't go for the sales pitch too easily. Would like more to stand on than promises and stories.
      10-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #27
Pierre Louis
Second Lieutenant

Fleet and big rig operators look for different things with their expensive machinery apparently going a million miles or more between engine overhauls. That enthusiasts believe fuel quality makes less difference to them than to common rail small light duty engines is interesting. It seems that if there is a debate whether a million mile common rail engine can take the fuel we already have with or without extra additive, then our engines should have no problems except perhaps for the unique "low load" conditions we talk about when discussing carbon buildup or what TDI owners discovered from misfueling. But additives are not thought to help carbon buildup or misfueling at all in direct injection engines, at least as I have been reading the tea leaves.....
      10-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #28
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel

I do understand your point amigo but this product has worked for me and Im no salesman, like i state and restate I have used AMSOIL for over 20 yrs and NEVER had problems with their products I CANNOT vouch for others . Yes, you have a GREAT and VALID point of companies disclosing their secrets, its like Kentucky fried chicken with their recipe for condiments, NO ONE will expose their secrets albeit true or not!!!

Also, corporate BIG WIGS dont want them to be exposed
      10-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #29
Pierre Louis
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
I do understand your point amigo but this product has worked for me and Im no salesman, like i state and restate I have used AMSOIL for over 20 yrs and NEVER had problems with their products I CANNOT vouch for others . Yes, you have a GREAT and VALID point of companies disclosing their secrets, its like Kentucky fried chicken with their recipe for condiments, NO ONE will expose their secrets albeit true or not!!!

Also, corporate BIG WIGS dont want them to be exposed
Could be, amigo.

But no secrets need to be disclosed about the formula itself. How many have no problems for 20 years without using additives? The decision should be on the comparison of those who have used additive to those that have not. It would be nice to know. Maybe they don't do it because they keep changing their formulas?

Just like Pepsi can actually quote how many prefer theirs to Coke in actual taste tests. However imperfect, I think it would be easy for them to back up their broad claims. But if the sales pitch works, why would they bother.
      10-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #30
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel

jjaajajaj very true I used to like Royal Crown Cola over Pepsi
      10-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #31
Socom
Major General

Drives: 2010 335D

Here's a good article. Be sure to read the response by an additive blender.

http://m.fleetowner.com/fleet-manage...fuel-additives
      10-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #32
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel

Awesome Socom agiam @ Pierre dan if u do damn if you don't