E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Wheels and Tires > ► APEX | 17" Concave ARC-8's - Ultra Lightweight Drag & Track Wheels!

07-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
David@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership

Drives: M3

► APEX | 17" Concave ARC-8's - Ultra Lightweight Drag & Track Wheels!

APEX 17" ARC-8 Wheels

APEX ARC-8 wheels were designed to meet the specification needs of HPDE, race, and autocross drivers, while exceeding the requirements for every day street use. This makes them the perfect cost effective, dual duty wheel. With the 17" offering, you can use them for drag wheels, or for track wheels to save on tire cost, while reducing even more weight!

APEX ARC-8 17x9.0" ET30 in Satin Black

APEX ARC-8 17x9.5" ET35 in Anthracite

APEX ARC-8 17x9.5" ET35 in Satin Black wrapped in 255/40/17 Nitto NT01, with 5mm spacers in front to clear the struts

Meeting the Performance Enthusiast’s requirements:

Light-weight: Flow-forming allows for a significant reduction in rotational mass by reducing barrel weight. This manufacturing technique allows the ARC-8 wheel to be almost as light as a traditional forged wheel, but without the significant increase in price.

Strength: Track duty requires a wheel that can handle the punishment of high lateral G’s, hitting berms, and every once in a while a small off track excursion. Spoke and barrel design are a major factor in wheel strength. The flow-forming technique uses high pressure disks/rollers to roll the wheel’s barrel into its final shape. This gives the barrel the same strength properties as a forged wheel, since monoblock wheels go through a similar step to form their barrels. The ARC-8's mesh design helps evenly distribute loads from the barrel to the center of the wheel. The lack of a front lip, and spokes directly connecting to the edge of the wheel, also add increased strength to the outer lip of the wheel. Although a front lip can reduce weight, it can also make the wheel much more prone to bending, and this was an important factor when developing the wheel.

Once a design is selected, it needs to be tested and certified for strength. The ARC-8 wheels were not just FEA tested in a computer simulation, or in house tested to an unregulated standard. They follow Japans JWL standard, and are 3rd party tested there by the VIA in Japan.

Proper tire fitment: Stretched rubber, narrow tires, and fender rubbing are not elements to look for in a competitive wheel/tire setup. The ARC-8 wheels were designed with offsets that allow for proper fitment of extreme summer, and r-compound tires without the need for spacers or fender rolling. This means keeping the tire under the fender, and away from suspension components. Track oriented wheel widths are also important as they provide proper sidewall support under hard cornering. Too much rubber for a wheel results in excessive sidewall deflection, which translates into sloppy and delayed turning response.

Multiple fitments: Most BMW’s come with a staggered setup. Some choose to keep their car this way, while others like to switch out for an easy to rotate, square/neutral setup. This is generally based on driver’s preference in addition to costs. The E9X benefits from 9.0" and 9.5” square setups are great for budget minded enthusiasts who want to extend their tires life by rotating between events, in addition to preferring the feel of a square setup. Square setups are popular on all 3 series models for track use due to the significant increase in front grip and turn in response.

For those who are looking for a drag set of wheels, a pair of the 17x9.0" ET30 or 17x9.5" ET35 ARC-8's would be perfect for the job! Both the 9.0” and 9.5” wheels are available for rear fitment for a bolt-on spacer free staggered setup.

BBK clearance: Many owners install Big Brake kits on their cars. Having an 17” wheel that can clear large calipers is a must. Due to the low offset nature of the E9x non-M, there are no clearance issues with the concave spokes of the ARC-8 wheel in both the 17x9.0" ET30 and 17x9.5" ET35 sizes. Barrel clearance was increased during the design phase to accommodate StopTech’s 6-piston 355mm kit.

APEX ARC-8 17x9.0" ET30 in Satin Black wrapped in 255/40/17 Nitto NT01, clearing the ST-60 355mm BBK

Meeting the needs of Daily/Street use:

Aesthetic design: Although the ARC-8 put function over form when meeting the above requirements, there is no denying that concave mesh wheels look at home on a BMW.

Paint finishes: All the wheel have a multi-coat painted finish including a full clear coat except for the Satin finish which does not have a clear (that would have made it gloss black). To give owners more options the wheels are offered in 4 different finishes. Hyper Silver, Hyper Black, Anthracite, and Satin Black. Not everyone wants their track day wheels to be grey.

Abuse of street use: The world is full of pot holes and random things to run over. APEX wheels have an excellent history of handling abuse. To date we’ve only had one wheel with a minor bend and another with a hair line crack on the inner barrel lip. Both these wheels came from the same dedicated race car, and the bent wheel is still out there racing today.

Multiple fitments: Due to the more conservative nature of street use, the ARC-8 wheel is also available in sizes that can fit more street oriented rubber, at offsets that are an easier fit. Wider more aggressive wheels can be used by those who like a more flush/filled out look. The choice is yours.

Certification: The race track has no wheel strength requirements, but the street does. Sadly the USA has very lenient/minimal regulations of wheel strength, unlike like Japan and Germany. APEX wheels are independently tested by the Vehicle Inspection Association of Japan (VIA) to the JWL standard. Wheels tested to the JWL standard require all wheels on the road to meet specific load rating requirements based on the bolt pattern, and dimensions of the wheel, the application/vehicle model has nothing to do with it. In comparison, wheels tested to the SAE standard in the USA can pick their own load rating, which can be as low as they want. This defeats the purpose of the test, as a wheel manufacturer can choose to underrate their wheels in order to reduce wheel weight. Wheels claiming JWL testing, but no 3rd party verification are prone to certifying untested/unproven wheels. VIA certification can not be done in house. It requires sending wheels/tires to japan for crush testing. Sadly a large number of vendors claim their wheels are VIA, JWL and even TUV certified, when in fact they were never tested by those organizations at all, and in some cases don't even meet the standard requirements of those tests. For this reason the certificate numbers for the ARC-8 wheels have been listed below. Self regulate the market, and ask all vendors to back up their claims. If they were tested, then they'll have the registration numbers.

Available Sizes, Weights, and Pricing:
17x8.5" ET40 - 17.20lbs - $249 - E9X Fitment
17x9.0" ET30 - 16.50lbs - $264 - E9X Fitment
17x9.0" ET42 - 17.20lbs - $259 - E9X Fitment, requires spacers
17x9.5" ET35 - 16.95lbs - $269 - E9X Fitment
17x10" ET25 - 18.45lbs - $284 - E9X M3 Fitment
17x10.5" ET27 - 18.95lbs - $299 - E9X M3 Fitment

Available Finishes:
  • Hyper Silver
  • Hyper Black
  • Anthracite
  • Satin Black

Warranty Summary:
2 year Structural, 1 year limited finish warranty guarantees wheels will be free from defects in materials, workmanship and paint finish under normal and reasonable use.

Please click the images for a higher resolution version.

APEX/OEM TPMS Sensors & Valve Stems:
We also carry APEX/OEM TPMS Sensors & valve stems for your wheels at an affordable cost. For more information click here.

APEX TPMS Sensors

OEM TPMS Sensors

OEM Colored Valve Stems

Ordering and Contact
  • Phone: Call (888) 499-9135 EXT. #1 for phone orders.
  • Payment: Credit and Debit Cards: Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, Discover, PayPal. Bank Wire Transfers are also available. Contact us to use a wire transfer for payment on your order.
  • Tax: California customers will be charged 8.75% CA sales tax.
  • Shipping: APEX ships all orders with UPS.
  • APEX Hours:
    Monday thru Friday: 9AM to 6PM PST
    Saturday and Sunday: Closed
  • Warehouse and local pickup: The APEX warehouse is at 7888 Marathon Drive, Unit A, Livermore, CA, 94550 (Map It), (888) 499-9135 EXT. #2. This is where you pick up local orders.
  • Service and Installation: Apex Performance Services - Dublin: 6443 Golden Gate Drive, Dublin, CA 94568 (Map It), (888) 499-9135 EXT. #3

Last edited by David@ApexRaceParts; 10-04-2013 at 04:23 PM.
      07-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
DUI Elite
///M at Heart

Drives: 2006 SGM E90

Recommended fitment for a lowered Pre-LCI E90?

Want to run a meaty tire setup. Was looking at 17x8.5" originally.
Rule #1 when you own "The Ultimate Driving Machine". Always have $$$ in "The Automatic Teller Machine"
      08-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
David@ApexRaceParts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Recommended fitment for a lowered Pre-LCI E90?

Want to run a meaty tire setup. Was looking at 17x8.5" originally.
The 17x9.0" ET30 ARC-8 is the perfect wheel for those that are looking for a dedicated track wheel that will save on consumables, especially since 17" tires are much more budget friendly than the 18" versions of the same width tires. The 17x9.0" ET30 with the 245/40/17 setup would be a great setup for those that do not have camber plates or aftermarket suspension, or do not have a dedicated track setup. If you are planning on getting camber plates in the future, you can fit a 255/40/17 on this wheel with added negative camber. These ARC-8's clear up to a 6 piston 355mm StopTech BBK. These are one of the most popular setups for the pre-LCI e9x non-M for dual duty and street use. The wheels sit very flush to the fender, and does not require any additional modifications for the tires to clear as long as you are using a street tire.

Another track wheel option would be the 17x9.5" ET35 ARC-8, but this one will require some work for the wheels to fit properly. The advantage of the 17X9.5 ARC-8 has better sidewall support for a 255/40/17 R-compound tire. The 255 R-compound runs much wider than the stock 255 tires and this wider wheel was designed to provide the needed sidewall support. The additional support stiffens the sidewall and with less flex the tire will resist rolling over during hard cornering. This all results in sharper handling, better tire life, and a little more fun on the track! With the wide track tires a 5mm wheel spacer is required in the front to clear the strut, and about -2.8 degrees of camber for the fronts to not rub onto the fenders.
      08-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
DUI Elite
///M at Heart

Drives: 2006 SGM E90

Thanks for the response. was greatly appreciated, hope it benefits someone else as well.
Rule #1 when you own "The Ultimate Driving Machine". Always have $$$ in "The Automatic Teller Machine"

Last edited by DUI Elite; 08-01-2013 at 10:50 PM.
      08-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
AlexGT
Private First Class

Drives: F22 M235i & E90 320d

Could someone from Apex Racer Parts, Eddie or David could kindly assist? I've called last week about my interest on APEX ARC-8 for my E90 LCI, then I sent an email and posted on APEX's Facebook site questions about them... but no response yet...

Could someone can let me know which specific model of ARC-8 17's and 18's are compatible with my 2010 E90 LCI stock suspension? (I won't change anything on the suspension). Please help! Thanks!!
AlexGT is offline   Guatemala
      08-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
David@ApexRaceParts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Could someone from Apex Racer Parts, Eddie or David could kindly assist? I've called last week about my interest on APEX ARC-8 for my E90 LCI, then I sent an email and posted on APEX's Facebook site questions about them... but no response yet...

Could someone can let me know which specific model of ARC-8 17's and 18's are compatible with my 2010 E90 LCI stock suspension? (I won't change anything on the suspension). Please help! Thanks!!
We apologize about the delay in response, can you kindly let us know who you sent an e-mail to? The 17" ARC-8's that would be compatible with your 2010 e90 LCI would be the 17x8.5" ET40 and 17x9" ET42 staggered setup since you have OEM suspension. As for the 18" ARC-8's, we would recommend the 18x8.5" ET38 and 18x9" ET42 wheels in the rear. If you'd like to get a wider rear wheel, the EC-7 wheel has an 18x9.5" ET43 fitment that is ideal for your e90 LCI. This would allow for a 265/35/18 street tire to be used on the rear of your car!
      08-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
AlexGT
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ApexRaceParts View Post
We apologize about the delay in response, can you kindly let us know who you sent an e-mail to? The 17" ARC-8's that would be compatible with your 2010 e90 LCI would be the 17x8.5" ET40 and 17x9" ET42 staggered setup since you have OEM suspension. As for the 18" ARC-8's, we would recommend the 18x8.5" ET38 and 18x9" ET42 wheels in the rear. If you'd like to get a wider rear wheel, the EC-7 wheel has an 18x9.5" ET43 fitment that is ideal for your e90 LCI. This would allow for a 265/35/18 street tire to be used on the rear of your car!
Hey David, many thanks for the reply!! I sent the email to eddie@apexraceparts.com last week. Do I need to go staggered? I was not thinking on moving to a staggered setup, so I can rotate my tires front/back when needed, but let me know if this is the only setup I can go to.

In addition, what do you have in stock right now so I can make my decision?

Thank you!!
      08-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
David@ApexRaceParts

Quote:
Hey David, many thanks for the reply!! I sent the email to eddie@apexraceparts.com last week. Do I need to go staggered? I was not thinking on moving to a staggered setup, so I can rotate my tires front/back when needed, but let me know if this is the only setup I can go to.

In addition, what do you have in stock right now so I can make my decision?

Thank you!!
That would be the issue, looks like the email address is incorrect, it should have been eddy@apexraceparts.com instead. You can use a squared setup with the 17x8.5" ET40 wheel all around, or the 17x9.0" ET42 with the use of a spacer in the front for the wheels to clear the struts. Of the two sizes, we would recommend the 17x8.5" ET40 since you are on OEM suspension, which would not allow for additional camber in order to run wider tires such as the 255/40/17 you originally wanted to use. The 245/40/17 street is the widest size you'd be able to use with either of these wheel sizes without the addition of adjustable camber plates to gain more fender clearance.

Currently we have both the 17x8.5" ET40 and 17x9.0" ET42 in Hyper Silver, Anthracite, and Satin Black available.
      08-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
AlexGT
Private First Class

Quote:
That would be the issue, looks like the email address is incorrect, it should have been eddy@apexraceparts.com instead. You can use a squared setup with the 17x8.5" ET40 wheel all around, or the 17x9.0" ET42 with the use of a spacer in the front for the wheels to clear the struts. Of the two sizes, we would recommend the 17x8.5" ET40 since you are on OEM suspension, which would not allow for additional camber in order to run wider tires such as the 255/40/17 you originally wanted to use. The 245/40/17 street is the widest size you'd be able to use with either of these wheel sizes without the addition of adjustable camber plates to gain more fender clearance.

Currently we have both the 17x8.5" ET40 and 17x9.0" ET42 in Hyper Silver, Anthracite, and Satin Black available.
Great, a million thanks for your detailed assistance David! As I told Eddy last week on the phone, I will make two orders (two wheels per order), since I have a company that ships my online purchases from Miami to my country (Guatemala) and if they ship 4 wheels in just one shipment, it will be a pain and a lot of paper work for me due my local Customs. My name is Alejandro Valerin and you'll see my first order this afternoon . I will go with the 17x8.5 ET 40 all around and thank you for the tire size suggestions
      08-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
David@ApexRaceParts

Quote:
Great, a million thanks for your detailed assistance David! As I told Eddy last week on the phone, I will make two orders (two wheels per order), since I have a company that ships my online purchases from Miami to my country (Guatemala) and if they ship 4 wheels in just one shipment, it will be a pain and a lot of paper work for me due my local Customs. My name is Alejandro Valerin and you'll see my first order this afternoon . I will go with the 17x8.5 ET 40 all around and thank you for the tire size suggestions
Your email has been replied. Thank you for your order!
      08-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
bv1
Private First Class

Drives: 335i Coupe AT

looking to confirm fitment on the ARC -8 for the rear of a 2007 e92 stock suspension (came with style 189's)
I'm looking for a meaty set-up for the track that will not rub, I'm thinking 18" by 9.5 ET35 with MickeyThompson Radial 2 265 40 18's (I know the speedo will be off)
      08-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
David@ApexRaceParts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bv1 View Post
looking to confirm fitment on the ARC -8 for the rear of a 2007 e92 stock suspension (came with style 189's)
I'm looking for a meaty set-up for the track that will not rub, I'm thinking 18" by 9.5 ET35 with MickeyThompson Radial 2 265 40 18's (I know the speedo will be off)
The 265/40/18 is a very tall tire, but we understand why you need it for a drag tire setup. For your 2007 e92 335i, the 265/40/18 with the 18x9.5" ET35 will still have clearance on the fender side, and not have any issues. However, there may be some rubbing on the inner fender plastic/ foam of the car when your rear suspension fully compresses. If you are at a very low ride height, there is a higher chance that your car will rub in the rear when it squats under full throttle, unless you have a very stiff spring in the rear. Also, even at OEM ride height, with high horsepower and high torque 335i's combined with high grip rear tires, the car can fully compress the rear suspension, squatting and causing the rubbing as well. There are quite a few variables, but those are small compromises that most people who drag race their 335i's are willing to deal with. If it was my own car, the slight rubbing when using drag radials under full throttle would be something that I would not mind for the benefits of having a taller tire on the drag strip.
      08-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
bv1
Private First Class

Drives: 335i Coupe AT

Quote:
The 265/40/18 is a very tall tire, but we understand why you need it for a drag tire setup. For your 2007 e92 335i, the 265/40/18 with the 18x9.5" ET35 will still have clearance on the fender side, and not have any issues. However, there may be some rubbing on the inner fender plastic/ foam of the car when your rear suspension fully compresses. If you are at a very low ride height, there is a higher chance that your car will rub in the rear when it squats under full throttle, unless you have a very stiff spring in the rear. Also, even at OEM ride height, with high horsepower and high torque 335i's combined with high grip rear tires, the car can fully compress the rear suspension, squatting and causing the rubbing as well. There are quite a few variables, but those are small compromises that most people who drag race their 335i's are willing to deal with. If it was my own car, the slight rubbing when using drag radials under full throttle would be something that I would not mind for the benefits of having a taller tire on the drag strip.
Thanks for the thorough reply, I've made my mind up that I'll be getting these wheels just need to make up my mind on the size. I'd like to run these on the street as well with a nice pair of street drag radials. I'm finding it difficult to find the correct sizing for a good pair of drag radials for 18" wheels. MT also makes a 245 40, which I've heard these tires run wide so they may be an option. I'll search around and see if I can find someone with either of these set ups to see how it works and what the sidewall height looks like. 17's would be a lot easier and cheaper!
      08-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
ApexRaceParts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bv1 View Post
Thanks for the thorough reply, I've made my mind up that I'll be getting these wheels just need to make up my mind on the size. I'd like to run these on the street as well with a nice pair of street drag radials. I'm finding it difficult to find the correct sizing for a good pair of drag radials for 18" wheels. MT also makes a 245 40, which I've heard these tires run wide so they may be an option. I'll search around and see if I can find someone with either of these set ups to see how it works and what the sidewall height looks like. 17's would be a lot easier and cheaper!
Good luck finding the right setup for your car. We'd love to see pictures of your track setup when all is said and done! Please let us know if you have any other questions and we'd be glad to help!

Website |Facebook | Instagram |Blog |
      08-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
335si
Private First Class

Drives: 335i

Quote:
17" ARC-8's are perfect on the e9x non-M!

Plenty of 17" ARC-8's in stock in all the finishes, ready to ship immediately!
I own a 2007 e92 with stock sport suspension. What 17" wheel and tire sizes should I go with if I am running street tires such as the Bridgestone RE760 Sport? I don't think I would ever put a drag radial or other race tire compound on them. Would prefer to go with a square set, but would be open to staggered set as well. Would like to get the widest tire/wheel combo on the stock suspension in 17". Thanks for your help!

2007 BMW 335i Cpe AW 6MT - All Stock
1972 Yamaha R5 (350 2-stroke)
335si is offline   United_States
      08-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
ApexRaceParts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335si View Post
I own a 2007 e92 with stock sport suspension. What 17" wheel and tire sizes should I go with if I am running street tires such as the Bridgestone RE760 Sport? I don't think I would ever put a drag radial or other race tire compound on them. Would prefer to go with a square set, but would be open to staggered set as well. Would like to get the widest tire/wheel combo on the stock suspension in 17". Thanks for your help!
With your stock suspension, we would recommend the 17x9" ET30 with either 245/40/17 or 255/40/17 street tires as a square setup. The 255's may rub slightly on plastic fender linings due to variations in different tire manufactures and models. The 17x9.5" ARC-8's require spacers and camber in the front which wouldn't be possible without aftermarket camber plates. You could run a staggered setup and put the 17x9.5" ET35 wheels in the rear if you want a staggered setup with a wider rear wheel/tire. Please feel free to PM, email, or call us regarding this fitment. Thanks!

Last edited by ApexRaceParts; 10-18-2013 at 05:34 PM.
      10-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
WesleyC
Colonel

Drives: BMW

I have a pre-lci E92 with Koni Yellows, H&R Sports & Dinan camber plates (set at -2 degrees). Would I be able to run the 17x9.5s with 255/40 tires (specifically, the RS3s) without any issues? I imagine that I will be fine in the rear. I am worried about the front.
WesleyC is offline   United_States
      10-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
David@ApexRaceParts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I have a pre-lci E92 with Koni Yellows, H&R Sports & Dinan camber plates (set at -2 degrees). Would I be able to run the 17x9.5s with 255/40 tires (specifically, the RS3s) without any issues? I imagine that I will be fine in the rear. I am worried about the front.
In order to fit the 17x9.5" ET35 in the front of the car with the 255/40/17 RS3's, you would need at least -2.5 degrees of camber and a 5mm spacer for the wheels and tires to clear the strut. Here is an example of an e92 335i pre-LCI that is using 255/40/17 Nitto NT01 R-compound tires. The car is on TC Kline coilovers and a 5mm wheel spacer is needed to clear the front strut. Camber Plates were also needed for the front wheel and tire to tuck under the fender and not rub causing paint and body damage with -2.8 degrees of camber.

10-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #19
WesleyC
Colonel

Drives: BMW

Thank you, David.

I was hoping not to have to have that much camber up front. I guess the 17x9.5s aren't for me.
WesleyC is offline   United_States
      10-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #20
CaliforniaBred
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i AW Coupe

Can you please pm me for the 17x9.5 for a 335i shipped to 37042? Also pricing on camber plates. Thanks
CaliforniaBred is online now   United_States
      10-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
ApexRaceParts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBred View Post
Can you please pm me for the 17x9.5 for a 335i shipped to 37042? Also pricing on camber plates. Thanks
Will do, PM coming your way!

Last edited by ApexRaceParts; 05-06-2014 at 04:28 PM.
      11-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #22
madgoat1
PWR JNKY

Drives: 07 335i

Please PM best price shipped to 37033 for (2) Anthracite 17x9.5" ET35. Thanks
E92 335i BSM, Ar catless Dp's, JB4 G5 iso, dci, Spearco FMIC, Stoptech Trophy BBK F&R, ECS strut Brace, Walbro 455lph E85 LPFP, 3 gallon custom trunk mount meth injection, Horsepower Freaks exhaust, AA CP and BOV, P3 digital vent gauge, Alpina Trans Flash, BMS Catch can, RB PCV Valve and billet cap.
In the Market for: upgraded turbos or turbo, LSD for e92 automatic non welded upgrade.