E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement (2007 335i w/Automatic Transmission)



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Built My Way's Avatar DIY Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement (2007 335i w/Automatic Transmission)
Built My Way
12-23-2012
DIY Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement (2007 335i w/Automatic Transmission) NOTE: This DIY may be used on other 335i model years and on xi models as well (part numbers may differ).

UPDATE (Feb 16, 2014): BavAuto has put together a great video of the procedure which can...
  #110  
By svg95gt on 10-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesanche View Post
So my car consistently warms up after about 4 miles or 10 mins running, then fans kicks on high, then yellow to red - every time. Tray was taken out, no leaks, splashes evident - under car or from the top. So the only thing I have are the codes, which state those two conditions, water pump on/off due to fluid difference. Wonder if it's a sensor now or again if the water pump is to blame.
Did you guys ever figure out what this issue was? Mine is doing the same thing and I haven't had time to get to a shop yet. I did add some DI water to get me home, but overheated again on my way in to work this am. I'd rather not replace the pump/therm if it's a fluid thing...
Reply With Quote
  #111  
By Built My Way on 10-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg95gt View Post
Did you guys ever figure out what this issue was? Mine is doing the same thing and I haven't had time to get to a shop yet. I did add some DI water to get me home, but overheated again on my way in to work this am. I'd rather not replace the pump/therm if it's a fluid thing...
If there aren't any leaks and you still get a code, your pump's impeller might be seized or the thermostat is malfunctioning. Fluid levels wouldn't be affected by these issues. You might want to try the Venting procedure from the DIY to make sure that your pump is functioning. With the engine off you will be able to hear the pump and the circulation of fluid. At least it's a start. How many miles/kilometers on the vehicle? For peace of mind, you might just want to get both the pump and thermostat replaced anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
By svg95gt on 10-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Took it to an indy and they replaced the pump...
Reply With Quote
  #113  
By epouss2 on 10-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
PLEASE HELP!! I replaced my pump and t stat and now all is good, except I have one left over screw (not bolt). It is a hex head (11mm head) (6mm thread) screw that looks about a half inch long on the threads. I did not loosen my sway bar. Instead, I removed my radiator fan. But I put everything back together and now I have this one screw left. I figured it probably goes on the skid plate but I'm not sure. It does not have a matching screw anywhere else like this one. My car runs fine but I still have this screw.
Last edited by epouss2; 10-31-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
By woodpecka on 10-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by epouss2 View Post
PLEASE HELP!! I replaced my pump and t stat and now all is good, except I have one left over screw (not bolt). It is a 11 mm hex head screw that looks about a half inch long on the threads. I did not loosen my sway bar. Instead, I removed my radiator fan. But I put everything back together and now I have this one screw left. I figured it probably goes on the skid plate but I'm not sure. It does not have a matching screw anywhere else like this one. My car runs fine but I still have this screw.
picture?
Reply With Quote
  #115  
By epouss2 on 10-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
it is M6 x 15mm or maybe M6 x 16mm self tapping screw
BTW my car is an automatic. I also had a D6 x 20 (T25) screw but I used it to mount the ATF cooler to the radiator fan. Maybe that was a mistake and that D6 x 20 screw goes somewhere else. The D6 x 20 screw is identical to the screw used to mount the radiator fan.


Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
picture?
Last edited by epouss2; 10-31-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
By woodpecka on 10-31-2013, 06:00 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Looks like the bolt for the small fluids radiator. (Steering fluids?)
Reply With Quote
  #117  
By epouss2 on 11-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
Looks like the bolt for the small fluids radiator. (Steering fluids?)
What is the small fluids radiator. Is that the small radiator thing that mounts to the fan?
Reply With Quote
  #118  
By woodpecka on 11-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by epouss2 View Post
What is the small fluids radiator. Is that the small radiator thing that mounts to the fan?
yes
Reply With Quote
  #119  
By woodpecka on 11-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by epouss2 View Post
What is the small fluids radiator. Is that the small radiator thing that mounts to the fan?
yes

thinking about it, I now feel it was more a Torx type than hex.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
By epouss2 on 11-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
It was. It was a torx T25 screw.
Reply With Quote
  #121  
By atinybug on 11-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
So I attempted this today on a manual transmission. After looking around for about 10 minutes for someplace to drain the coolant from and not being able to find it, I went searching on the internet. Apparently I have to take off my front bumper and intercooler to be able to do it. So I asked a friend of mine what he did with his last year (also 6mt) and he told me to just yank a hose straight off the pump and let the coolant splash out (messy). Is this a good idea? If it isn't too bad of an idea, I'll probably just do this tomorrow because I'm lazy.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
By Built My Way on 11-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by atinybug View Post
So I attempted this today on a manual transmission. After looking around for about 10 minutes for someplace to drain the coolant from and not being able to find it, I went searching on the internet. Apparently I have to take off my front bumper and intercooler to be able to do it. So I asked a friend of mine what he did with his last year (also 6mt) and he told me to just yank a hose straight off the pump and let the coolant splash out (messy). Is this a good idea? If it isn't too bad of an idea, I'll probably just do this tomorrow because I'm lazy.
I wouldn't recommend it but it is doable. Just remember that coolant is not exactly environmentally friendly. It is also poisonous. Be sure to keep it contained when pulling the hose. Don't let it get on your skin or in your eyes. Also, more of the old coolant will remain in the system if you go this route. I would take the time to remove the intercooler.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
By Oo vvR3cKz oO 619 on 11-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Nice
Reply With Quote
  #124  
By atinybug on 11-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Ok I just sorta finished doing this spread out over 3 days (a couple hours a day, due to work and available daylight). As I'm bleeding the system, the large U shaped hose between the pump and thermostat keeps leaking where it connects to the pump. I've already broken 1 hose clamp tightening it, and I'm afraid to tighten this 2nd hose clamp anymore than it already is. What should I do?
Reply With Quote
  #125  
By PichaDis11 on 11-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atinybug
Ok I just sorta finished doing this spread out over 3 days (a couple hours a day, due to work and available daylight). As I'm bleeding the system, the large U shaped hose between the pump and thermostat keeps leaking where it connects to the pump. I've already broken 1 hose clamp tightening it, and I'm afraid to tighten this 2nd hose clamp anymore than it already is. What should I do?
You shouldn't over tighten the clamps. If the hoses are bulging when you tighten the loosen a little. You want it snug not grip me to death tight. Replace your broken clamp with one of similar size from your local Home Depot or Auto store.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
By atinybug on 11-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
It wasn't bulging the first time I tightened the original clamp. I started the pump up, it started leaking, so I tightened it some more. Repeated 2 more times until it snapped, then went and got a new clamp, and stuck that one on, and it's still leaking. I'm thinking I may need to make a trip to the dealer tomorrow to get a new hose?
Reply With Quote
  #127  
By PichaDis11 on 11-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Seems like the hose got clinched or something. Try examining it just to be sure. A bad hose will break under pressure from the system.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
By Cali on 12-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I have a 2006 325i E90 (99,500 miles on it) and had the amber temp light come on followed by the red temp light then limp mode........My check lights say I have low coolant, should I top off and drive around to see if I get the same problem again?
Going by this thread and other searches it looks like I need a new water pump/thermostat in which case how much of this tutorial applies to the 2006 325i E90.
Thank you for any help in advance.

Cali
Last edited by Cali; 12-06-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
By Built My Way on 12-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali View Post
I have a 2006 325i E90 (99,500 miles on it) and had the amber temp light come on followed by the red temp light then limp mode........My check lights say I have low coolant, should I top off and drive around to see if I get the same problem again?
Going by this thread and other searches it looks like I need a new water pump/thermostat in which case how much of this tutorial applies to the 2006 325i E90.
Thank you for any help in advance.

Cali
Sounds like the pump is shot. I'd top up the system with water and perform the venting procedure from this DIY. This lets you listen for pump activation and hear the water rushing through the system. Then start the car (let it warm up) and watch for leaks from under the vehicle.
I think there's a 328i DIY out there somewhere. Google it. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
By Cali on 12-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Built My Way View Post
Sounds like the pump is shot. I'd top up the system with water and perform the venting procedure from this DIY. This lets you listen for pump activation and hear the water rushing through the system. Then start the car (let it warm up) and watch for leaks from under the vehicle.
I think there's a 328i DIY out there somewhere. Google it. Good luck.
I tried to run the vent cycle but nothing is happening.......assume that means the water pump is dead?

Cali
Reply With Quote
  #131  
By Efthreeoh on 12-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by atinybug View Post
So I attempted this today on a manual transmission. After looking around for about 10 minutes for someplace to drain the coolant from and not being able to find it, I went searching on the internet. Apparently I have to take off my front bumper and intercooler to be able to do it. So I asked a friend of mine what he did with his last year (also 6mt) and he told me to just yank a hose straight off the pump and let the coolant splash out (messy). Is this a good idea? If it isn't too bad of an idea, I'll probably just do this tomorrow because I'm lazy.
I know this is a month old, but dude, you have to remove the big splash shield (front belly pan) and then the small plastic shield covering the radiator. The drain in on the radiator either on the driver's side, or both sides depending on what radiator was used to build the car.

There is a DIY for the manual transmission cars done by Eninty a long time ago.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST