E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Minor suspension improvements



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
LAE92
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E92
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

Minor suspension improvements

As I am going FBO PTF e40 protune, as well as upgrading my brakes, I would like to improve my suspension a bit. I already purchased 19" 220m wheels so I will be getting those mounted and balanced too. I am switching to 220ms because they are lightweight, and forged. I am coming from m6 reps and hate how fragile those wheels are. The easiest and cheapest way to get to 19" forged wheels was for me to buy 220m's. I am getting the fenders pulled/ shaved to account for the offsets. I was thinking about installing m3 front upper and lower control arms to help my turn in, plus a for corner alignment to get everything synced up and to get the power onto the road and get the steering dialed in.

Do you guys think I should also up the rear toe links to m3 links? Will I feel the difference? I don't want to get an LSD because it is too much money, and worry the m3 subframe bushings will cause the chassis to translate too much from the rear. Thanks for the input!
LAE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

Posts: 3,442
iTrader: (1)

1. What does this have to do with Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques?

2. Once you figure out what this has to do with Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques, then it'll be much easier to figure out what you need to do.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
The HACK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
LAE92
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E92
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

Autocross, I do not drag at all. I am also going to enroll at willow springs for driving classes.
LAE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
will.c
Lieutenant
 
will.c's Avatar
 
Drives: E46M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Jersey

Posts: 580
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
1. What does this have to do with Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques?

2. Once you figure out what this has to do with Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques, then it'll be much easier to figure out what you need to do.
lol.. rough day Hack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAE92 View Post
Autocross, I do not drag at all. I am also going to enroll at willow springs for driving classes.
Honestly, those (or any other mods, for that matter) probably won't make any difference for you - at least not for now. Just attend one of those events, and you'll very quickly realize that either:
1) None of those are what you need, and you just need to practice a LOT more before you can even comfortably push your car as is; or
2) Something very particular is CLEARLY recognizable even to you that it needs to be improved - most likely brakes and/or tires.

If you hit #2 above, upgrade that item only. Then you go out again to find out what is limiting you next, and upgrade THAT. Then --- oh, this step is very VERY crucial in terms of your pursuit of happiness --- prepare to say good bye to any sort of financial savings or freedom for the rest of your life; you will be in the deep end in no time.

Last edited by will.c; 10-15-2013 at 11:15 PM.
will.c is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
 
CPWINCH's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 4 Series
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 3,523
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.c View Post
lol.. rough day Hack?



Honestly, those (or any other mods, for that matter) probably won't make any difference for you - at least not for now. Just attend one of those events, and you'll very quickly realize that either:
1) None of those are what you need, and you just need to practice a LOT more before you can even comfortably push your car as is; or
2) Something very particular is CLEARLY recognizable even to you that it needs to be improved - most likely brakes and/or tires.

If you hit #2 above, upgrade that item only. Then you go out again to find out what is limiting you next, and upgrade THAT. On and on and on.
+100
I dont mod my cars until I have at least 1 track day on them stock. And if you never have tracked before, mods are absolutely useless (maybe not absolutely) but figure out correct form. Learn the lines of the track and start modding when you reach a limitation in your car.
__________________
Follow my BMW instagram @Bmwmodification!! Let me know you are from bimmerpost and i'll follow back
CPWINCH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
LAE92
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E92
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

CPwinch, While i know a lot of people subscribe to this theory on this sub forum, but I am like the other 95% of the e90post members where having the car's extra performance for the occasional brisk drive is nice. However, I am not 19 anymore so I wanted to get the most out of the driving experience with my car while not jeopardizing my own safety nor the safety of others around me. the Hack was right, I should have clarified my purposes for even proposing the upgrade. I just figured since the toe links are pretty cheap and I am going to install the front control arms, I might as well get in the rear and add the toe links too. MY driving skills are far from needing them, so I will omit the upgrade until my skills get to that level. Thanks for the feedback!
LAE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Smooth 330i
Captain
 
Smooth 330i's Avatar
 
Drives: Sleepy 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 992
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAE92 View Post
As I am going FBO PTF e40 protune, as well as upgrading my brakes, I would like to improve my suspension a bit. I already purchased 19" 220m wheels so I will be getting those mounted and balanced too. I am switching to 220ms because they are lightweight, and forged. I am coming from m6 reps and hate how fragile those wheels are. The easiest and cheapest way to get to 19" forged wheels was for me to buy 220m's. I am getting the fenders pulled/ shaved to account for the offsets. I was thinking about installing m3 front upper and lower control arms to help my turn in, plus a for corner alignment to get everything synced up and to get the power onto the road and get the steering dialed in.

Do you guys think I should also up the rear toe links to m3 links? Will I feel the difference? I don't want to get an LSD because it is too much money, and worry the m3 subframe bushings will cause the chassis to translate too much from the rear. Thanks for the input!
DSC/DTC off + LSD + tires + driver mod = power on the ground

You can add suspension once you decide what is your intent and budget.

GL
__________________

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
Smooth 330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
LAE92
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E92
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for all of the feedback!
LAE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
Manny_World
Colonel
 
Manny_World's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N Las Vegas

Posts: 2,344
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
1994 BMW 525i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAE92 View Post
Autocross, I do not drag at all. I am also going to enroll at willow springs for driving classes.
Let me know when you head to Willow. Might join you.
__________________
Manny_World is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST