Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > E90 330i "Meaty, Beefy" wheel and tire set up. 9.5 fronts**HELP**



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
DD4S
Private First Class
3
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

E90 330i "Meaty, Beefy" wheel and tire set up. 9.5 fronts**HELP**

Gentleman,

I am not a fan of the "stretched" fitment and such, i like meat on my wheels and i want to achieve this with my 330i, the car it self is at stock height (sports suspension) and i plan on leaving it like this.

My question is can i run a square set up with 9.5s all around with some beefy tires? is any one running a similar st up at stock Sport height? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

PS: i will be ditching the run flat tires... how are you guys coping with this... do you have a spare? a bunch of "fix a flat"? What is your solution.

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
DD4S
Private First Class
3
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Name:  perfect.jpg
Views: 4757
Size:  234.6 KB
here is a pic of what i am talking about when i say Beefy and Meaty wheel and tire set up. i hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
BmerMeUp's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Can't comment on the first question, but as for the second - I'm running non-runflat winters at the moment, with $12 of insurance-in-a-can in the trunk space where a spare tire would normally go. Hopefully I never need it, but I helped someone ELSE use one years ago, and it seemed to do the job, so I'm not too worried. Runflats? Rigid, noisy, expensive, hard to mount and you can't fix'em. I say go with whatever you want. I've had 2 flat tires in 24 years of driving. I'll take those odds.

Sweet pic btw.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
Amini77
Brigadier General
Amini77's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
4,597
Posts

 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Wish I went with the "meaty/beefy" look....pot holes are a bitch and I want race car!
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
Smooth 330i
Major
Smooth 330i's Avatar
17
Rep
1,056
Posts

 
Drives: Sleepy 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD4S View Post
Gentleman,

I am not a fan of the "stretched" fitment and such, i like meat on my wheels and i want to achieve this with my 330i, the car it self is at stock height (sports suspension) and i plan on leaving it like this.

My question is can i run a square set up with 9.5s all around with some beefy tires? is any one running a similar st up at stock Sport height? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

PS: i will be ditching the run flat tires... how are you guys coping with this... do you have a spare? a bunch of "fix a flat"? What is your solution.

Thank you in advance.

This is a great question! Most members on this forum focus on stance vs performance and daily driving qualities.

Short answer: YES (this is what I am doing now):
1. Apex ARC-8 9.5/17 square wheels (17 Lbs!!!) and super concave
2. Vorshlag camber plates (required to fit front tires)
3. 5mm spacer (Turner)
4. Tires 255/40 (PS2 is an excellent choice)


I drove my friends square 17" set-up at one of HPDE events and it is a night and day difference compared to stock 18" RFT set-up. You need to run camber up front of around -1.8-2.2 without impact to uneven tire wear. These cars are designed to run with camber except that BMW did not include it out of the factory in the front. You will notice a significant difference if you decrease ~40 lbs of unsprung weight, one of the best mods that you can do that affects handling, braking, acceleration and damping if you are not updating suspension bits. Also, 17" tires are cheaper than 18s and 19s.

If you can, I would highly recommend to get M3 front bits as they sharpen steering with non-rft tires. I think the bushings on stock arms are too soft for non-rft tires. You can get TRW parts for 1/2 cost and it is the same design, they make M3 parts (check ECS tuning site).

There is a group buy going on now for Apex 17" wheels and I would get a set if you want to maximize performance. Excellent value!


The full story is available in the tracking section:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651864

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770096



GL
__________________

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner

Last edited by Smooth 330i; 12-15-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
DD4S
Private First Class
3
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NokTurNaL 330i View Post
This is a great question! Most members on this forum focus on stance vs performance and daily driving qualities.

Short answer: YES (this is what I am doing now):
1. Apex ARC-8 9.5/17 square wheels (17 Lbs!!!) and super concave
2. Vorshlag camber plates (required to fit front tires)
3. 5mm spacer (Turner)
4. Tires 255/40 (PS2 is an excellent choice)


I drove my friends square 17" set-up at one of HPDE events and it is a night and day difference compared to stock 18" RFT set-up. You need to run camber up front of around -1.8-2.2 without impact to uneven tire wear. These cars are designed to run with camber except that BMW did not include it out of the factory in the front. You will notice a significant difference if you decrease ~40 lbs of unsprung weight, one of the best mods that you can do that affects handling, braking, acceleration and damping if you are not updating suspension bits. Also, 17" tires are cheaper than 18s and 19s.

If you can, I would highly recommend to get M3 front bits as they sharpen steering with non-rft tires. I think the bushings on stock arms are too soft for non-rft tires. You can get TRW parts for 1/2 cost and it is the same design, they make M3 parts (check ECS tuning site).

There is a group buy going on now for Apex 17" wheels and I would get a set if you want to maximize performance. Excellent value!


The full story is available in the tracking section:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651864

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770096



GL
A lot of great info here thanks a bunch!!! do you have any pictures of your car?
i really dont want to go with 17s 18 is the smallest i want to go. i have the 162s right now, i dont want to go any smaller.

bump for more comments, sugestions and most importantly Pics!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
chris95559
Lieutenant
6
Rep
511
Posts

 
Drives: SG E93
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nassau,NY

iTrader: (9)

the biggest you can go on 19x9.5 in front is maybe a 245 and thats pushing it. A 235 will work for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
MrRetep's Avatar
9
Rep
359
Posts

 
Drives: 435i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Irvine CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95559 View Post
the biggest you can go on 19x9.5 in front is maybe a 245 and thats pushing it. A 235 will work for sure.
that is literally the complete opposite of what he wants to do...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
ken1137
Brigadier General
ken1137's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
3,697
Posts

 
Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
Good luck...I cant comment on the beefy wheels but I agree they look better than being too stretched. I always by a spare front wheel to be safe since there are so many pot-holes in the Chicago area.
__________________

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
chris95559
Lieutenant
6
Rep
511
Posts

 
Drives: SG E93
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nassau,NY

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetep View Post
that is literally the complete opposite of what he wants to do...



Whether or not that the opposite of what he wants to do those are his choices if he wants to run a 19x9.5 in the front. What do you want me tell him he can run a 265 when he cant? I'm running 9.5 so i know.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
guru_method
...Takin' names
guru_method's Avatar
No_Country
4
Rep
208
Posts

 
Drives: SBM 08 335i, AW 09 135i M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (2)

It all comes down to offset really. That being said you would have to find the highest offset possible that will still clear your suspension and brakes in the width of your choice. When that is done you'll probably get away with a fat 245 on the front, like a Nitto Invo. Same procedure for the rears and a fender roll, and you should be set up nicely.

I would stay away from 20-30 offset in the front. Most likely you will be looking at a high 30s (maybe 40?) offset in the front. This is a total guesstimation, I would be very interested if somebody would actually do some measurements and confirm the meatiest/widest rim setup possible on our cars with only slight modification. Personally, I'd like to rock a 295 in the rear someday



Edit: Apex offers the EC-7 in 18x9.0 +31 in their lineup for E90/92, that must be the wheel you need for your unquenchable thirst for beef. Check out their GB thread there is a pic of the setup.

Last edited by guru_method; 12-18-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
ChuckD05
NeedsMoarBoost
United_States
11
Rep
514
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i / 06 e90 325xi
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
whats the most aggressive offset than can be run up front on a 9.5?

+22 wont work with a 235?
__________________
08 135i 6m - 12.1@120.2 2.0 60ft - JB4/Meth - SOLD
09 335i e92 Mtech - RB FBO
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership
35
Rep
832
Posts


 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD4S View Post
A lot of great info here thanks a bunch!!! do you have any pictures of your car?
i really dont want to go with 17s 18 is the smallest i want to go. i have the 162s right now, i dont want to go any smaller.

bump for more comments, sugestions and most importantly Pics!
If 18" diameter wheels is the smallest you are looking to go with we do have our EC-7 wheel in a new size to APEX, 18x9" ET31. This is a great wheel to use in square fitments on the E9X chassis because a front wheel spacer is not required to clear any of the suspension components regardless of the type of coilovers you have installed or if you are still on oem suspension. If you do not have camber plates the largest tire I would be able to suggest for this wheel would be a 245/35/18. If you do have adjustable camber plates or will be installing them in the future than it is very possible to install a 255/35/18 or even a 255/40/18 tire. Most people would prefer a 5-12mm wheel spacer in the rear with this set up for aesthetic purposes, otherwise the rear wheel would appear very sunken into the rear fender. Another great benefit is that these wheels are currently on group buy so you would qualify for huge savings if you join before December 21.


Satin Black 18x9" ET31 EC-7's with 245/35/18 tires.
__________________
| Product Specialist | Phone: 925.245.0773 | Email: info@apexraceparts.com |

Website |Facebook | Instagram |Blog |

Last edited by ApexRaceParts; 12-20-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
VMRWheels's Avatar
259
Rep
16,017
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
In my personal opinion, 265's look perfect on a 9.5 wheel. If you want to go for the 'beefy' or 'meaty' look, why not go for a narrower wheel and a tire that won't stretch.
__________________

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** VMR Holiday Special! **
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
DD4S
Private First Class
3
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Like a 8.5 or a 9?
What would you suggest.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
Smooth 330i
Major
Smooth 330i's Avatar
17
Rep
1,056
Posts

 
Drives: Sleepy 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD4S View Post
A lot of great info here thanks a bunch!!! do you have any pictures of your car?
i really dont want to go with 17s 18 is the smallest i want to go. i have the 162s right now, i dont want to go any smaller.

bump for more comments, sugestions and most importantly Pics!

I think you are confused...if you want meat you need 17s end of story. If you have 18s and go with 245 and 265 they will not look beefy. You can get 235 and 255 PSS or PS2 tires on 18s and you are close to the max unless you mod the body. It is impossible to fit beefy 18s on e90 non-m stock.
__________________

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
robc1976
DIYER
robc1976's Avatar
79
Rep
4,725
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_method View Post
It all comes down to offset really. That being said you would have to find the highest offset possible that will still clear your suspension and brakes in the width of your choice. When that is done you'll probably get away with a fat 245 on the front, like a Nitto Invo. Same procedure for the rears and a fender roll, and you should be set up nicely.

I would stay away from 20-30 offset in the front. Most likely you will be looking at a high 30s (maybe 40?) offset in the front. This is a total guesstimation, I would be very interested if somebody would actually do some measurements and confirm the meatiest/widest rim setup possible on our cars with only slight modification. Personally, I'd like to rock a 295 in the rear someday



Edit: Apex offers the EC-7 in 18x9.0 +31 in their lineup for E90/92, that must be the wheel you need for your unquenchable thirst for beef. Check out their GB thread there is a pic of the setup.
I have 20" rims so different set up completely, but my offset is 35MM and fit a 245/30/20 up front, when I had 19's I had PSS & they rubbed because of the rounder sidewall....so with the setup the OP wants to run tires selection will come into play. I am considering trying to run a 245/30/20 up font and 295/25/30 in rear with PSS or a bit more sidewall....the nitto invo's are nice tires but not as good as PSS by a far margin. I also have M3 front bits, rear bits and coilovers on the way.
__________________
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Motiv 750 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
J38
BMW Addict
J38's Avatar
5
Rep
424
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Z4-05 ZHP-06 330i + 07 335i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Why is there no subscribe feature on the mobile site?

Eh. Anyway... Subbed for later.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
Bimmer Barney
First Lieutenant
Bimmer Barney's Avatar
5
Rep
387
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

iTrader: (4)

Check out my thread. I have pics of meaties
__________________
2007 SGM E90 335i
JB4 G4, Mr.5 Intake, VRSF 7" FMIC, ER Sport Oil Cooler, RB PCV Valve, Cyba Scoops and Quad Tips, 17x9 ET30 and 17x9.5 ET35 Concave Apex Arc 8, M3 UCA/LCA
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST