E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni Yellow + Swift Spec R Review



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #45
Jdub679
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 485
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
Ya it's my daily and I don't mind the firmness on our roads. It's obviously not the most comfortable ride due our horrible streets but I can live with it.

Take into consideration I have 17s and beefy tires so it helps the comfort for sure.
Any further assessments now that you've had this setup for a while?
Jdub679 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #46
HighPSI
Banned
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub679 View Post
Any further assessments now that you've had this setup for a while?
Still great! I need to make some adjustments to the settings for my taste but other than that I love the setup. Highly recommended.
HighPSI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #47
parabmw
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: canada

Posts: 180
iTrader: (0)

are thr r spec preferred over the other swift springs?
are the spring rates high enough?
I read some r using 400/800
parabmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #48
Kenu8187
Private
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoCal

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Could be wrong but I believe the swift spec R are about 220/600
Kenu8187 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #49
parabmw
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: canada

Posts: 180
iTrader: (0)

I believe harold of hpa recommended 336/700 with konis.
I'm wondering why the r spec r 220/600.
parabmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #50
J38
BMW Addict
 
J38's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Z4-05 ZHP-06 330i + 07 335i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NC

Posts: 424
iTrader: (1)

#1 I believe those rates are unconfirmed. Not sure Swift publishes them so you may want to confirm them.
#2 Differences in philosophy. Not all spring rates will be what Harold at HPA recommends. Street/track bias, front/rear bias, handling manners, etc. will vary based on the goal of the manufacturer. Best way to decide what spring you want is to ride in that setup, or try something and be willing to not like it/change it out. That's pretty much it.
__________________
'07 Z4 3.0iS White/Saddle - Sold | '05 330 ZHP Silver/Grey - Sold | '06 330i SGM/Black - Sold | '07 335i Jet Black/Saddle - Sold
My Volks FOR SALE!!!!
J38 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #51
AGO 530
...
 
AGO 530's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '11 335i E90
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 93
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [5.00]
2008 BMW X5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
Still great! I need to make some adjustments to the settings for my taste but other than that I love the setup. Highly recommended.
HighPSI

What setting on the Koni's are you running in the rear?
__________________
'11 E90 MSport / BMS : JB4 - Stage 2 ISO, Downpipe, Intake, OCC, Low Temperature Thermostat / ETS 5" FMIC / Evolution Racewerks CP / Swift R-Spec Springs on Koni Yellow's.
AGO 530 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #52
iturbo_bmw
Lieutenant
 
iturbo_bmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 510
iTrader: (0)

kinda off topic but can you post some more pics of your car pleasee?? I've been thinking about get apex's but can't seem to find pics with them on a AW e92.. I don't think anyone will complain about more pics =)
__________________
2009 335i e92 n54 | Alpine White w/ Coral Red | M Sport | AT w/ Alpina TCU Flash | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS flash| BMS DCI | VRSF DP | ETS 5" FMIC| ER Chargepipe | HKS BOV | TCK SA Coilovers | M3 control arms|
iturbo_bmw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #53
HighPSI
Banned
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bmw View Post
kinda off topic but can you post some more pics of your car pleasee?? I've been thinking about get apex's but can't seem to find pics with them on a AW e92.. I don't think anyone will complain about more pics =)
Sorry buddy, car is now in winter mode - winter wheels.

All I can say is it looks amazing in person. Meaty R Comps + 17 Satin Arc 8 + Lowered + AW E92 ftw. Nothing beats a white car with black wheels
HighPSI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #54
R0oster
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland

Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)

just ordered a set of swift springs from hp autosport
R0oster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #55
J38
BMW Addict
 
J38's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Z4-05 ZHP-06 330i + 07 335i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NC

Posts: 424
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0oster View Post
just ordered a set of swift springs from hp autosport
Cool ... In for feedback.
__________________
'07 Z4 3.0iS White/Saddle - Sold | '05 330 ZHP Silver/Grey - Sold | '06 330i SGM/Black - Sold | '07 335i Jet Black/Saddle - Sold
My Volks FOR SALE!!!!
J38 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #56
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 335i MT
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: TX

Posts: 328
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0oster View Post
just ordered a set of swift springs from hp autosport
Same here ^
jjellyneck is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #57
DT_92
New Member
 
Drives: LCI E92
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

What are your settings on the Koni's? The drop looks great!
DT_92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #58
iBoost
Brigadier General
 
iBoost's Avatar
 
Drives: into the unknown.
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 3,032
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
No, not at all. You will only experience slightly less drop and improved comfort!
Can you pm me how much this set up for a 328i would cost shipped? thanks!
iBoost is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #59
richragus
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 E90 335i w/ Sport Monaco
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Diego, Ca

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Koni Yellow's and Swift Spec-R Review - LAYMAN's Perspective

I just had Harold and Turbo Mike at HP Autowerks install the Koni Yellows and Swift Spec-R Springs on my '08 E90 335i Sport, Dinan Stage 2, M3 Control Arms, and WOW, these things absolutely rock! This is my daily driver, and I like to tear it up every so often as well in our local spots. I have to admit that I'm not really dialed in to the specs and numbers that everyone is throwing out there, but can certainly feel the difference that these bring to the table.

First off, I've got 95k on my ride, and was running a stock setup, which was cushy, but definitely had some roll in it, and my goal was to stiffen the ride up a bit, but also to get a nice ride out of it as well. Again, this is totally from a layman's perspective. Harold recommended that he dial in the shocks to 1.75 from Stiff on the front and 1.5 rear... First thing I noticed was, wow, the cabin noise nearly disappeared from standard driving (an added bonus that I didn't realize I would achieve, and those of you with Bluetooth in these models, know just how AWFUL it is stock....sounds like you're running 120 mph with the windows down, which you're really going 25 in a school zone on a perfectly paved road).

I got my first taste of these running around the roads of Buellton, Solvang, Santa Maria, Los Olivos, and Lompoc...for those of you that don't know where this is, it's the Santa Barbara Wine country, and little to no attention has been paid to these roads in the last 40 years. Normally a loud and bumpy ride turned into a much easier to stomach drive, and the wheels STUCK to the turns! This on the soft setup.

I started to get a bit bolder when the wife wasn't looking, and started to stiffen up the front a bit, and man, NOW you can really feel the difference. Before I would turn of DSC and leave it on DCT so not to completely have traction control turned off, but makes it a bit more fun. Still the damned light would seem to blink and the engine power be cutoff on just about every stinkin turn I made (an I'm running Michelin 18" PSS staggered setup)....This thing holds SO MUCH better now, and instead of having to gingerly enter and moderately exit turns, you can be much more spirited and lay it down! The power that you can apply to the car is so much greater than stock, it's absolutely amazing...Even on a straight line acceleration, it just holds so much better, and squirreliness is gone!

I've now got the fronts dialed in to .75 from stiff, and for me, that seems to be a great place to be, as they are still cushy enough that the lady doesn't know the different, but sporty enough where I know I can give 'er some ooomph!

I did get the adjust mount front and rears, and they work GREAT on the fronts, however, I can't seem to confidently take out the entire trunk liner without damaging something to get to the rear mounts to adjust them. Thinking about taking it to my local shop, Midnight Oil to have Chad and the crew do that for me, but then I have to test out the stiffness before settling on a level of stiffness...I don't know how I'm going to go about doing this, except to watch how they take out the trunk liner and try to replicate it myself...I did see a post somewhere of somebody creating an extension that goes into the trunk, and I'm a bit of a MacGuyver / Jerry-rigger, but it'll still pose a problem, but I invite the challenge. Looking back, I don't know if there rear adjustables are really needed, but time will tell.

Bottom line, Harold and his team know where they're doing, and just driving into their lot and seeing the Series 1 M along, 335i racecar, and Z4 carbon fiber beast lets you know that these guys are serious, and know what they're doing. I drove up from San Diego to Santa Barbara, 250 miles, to have them work on it, while I could have done it down here, but want the full experience. I know that IF I want to put the Quaife LSD in this thing, that I'll be making the trip one more time...but I think it may be some time before I master this setup, and get the mod bug biting me again.

Thanks again Harold and Mike, nice work, and I'm enjoying every turn out there!
richragus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #60
Zombie1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: BMW 135i 2010
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Island long

Posts: 1,709
iTrader: (3)

Swift FTW love this combo
__________________
Mods:Berkexhaust alpinaB3flash cobbAP Cobb FMIC Er charge pipe tialQ bov OCC VMR705s MichelinPSS M3 front sway bar M3 subframe bushings M3 front upper and lower control arms M3 guide rods M3 rear upper control arms Koni yellows/Swift spec R springs
Zombie1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #61
D's Bimmer
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 821
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richragus View Post
I just had Harold and Turbo Mike at HP Autowerks install the Koni Yellows and Swift Spec-R Springs on my '08 E90 335i Sport, Dinan Stage 2, M3 Control Arms, and WOW, these things absolutely rock! This is my daily driver, and I like to tear it up every so often as well in our local spots. I have to admit that I'm not really dialed in to the specs and numbers that everyone is throwing out there, but can certainly feel the difference that these bring to the table.

First off, I've got 95k on my ride, and was running a stock setup, which was cushy, but definitely had some roll in it, and my goal was to stiffen the ride up a bit, but also to get a nice ride out of it as well. Again, this is totally from a layman's perspective. Harold recommended that he dial in the shocks to 1.75 from Stiff on the front and 1.5 rear... First thing I noticed was, wow, the cabin noise nearly disappeared from standard driving (an added bonus that I didn't realize I would achieve, and those of you with Bluetooth in these models, know just how AWFUL it is stock....sounds like you're running 120 mph with the windows down, which you're really going 25 in a school zone on a perfectly paved road).

I got my first taste of these running around the roads of Buellton, Solvang, Santa Maria, Los Olivos, and Lompoc...for those of you that don't know where this is, it's the Santa Barbara Wine country, and little to no attention has been paid to these roads in the last 40 years. Normally a loud and bumpy ride turned into a much easier to stomach drive, and the wheels STUCK to the turns! This on the soft setup.

I started to get a bit bolder when the wife wasn't looking, and started to stiffen up the front a bit, and man, NOW you can really feel the difference. Before I would turn of DSC and leave it on DCT so not to completely have traction control turned off, but makes it a bit more fun. Still the damned light would seem to blink and the engine power be cutoff on just about every stinkin turn I made (an I'm running Michelin 18" PSS staggered setup)....This thing holds SO MUCH better now, and instead of having to gingerly enter and moderately exit turns, you can be much more spirited and lay it down! The power that you can apply to the car is so much greater than stock, it's absolutely amazing...Even on a straight line acceleration, it just holds so much better, and squirreliness is gone!

I've now got the fronts dialed in to .75 from stiff, and for me, that seems to be a great place to be, as they are still cushy enough that the lady doesn't know the different, but sporty enough where I know I can give 'er some ooomph!

I did get the adjust mount front and rears, and they work GREAT on the fronts, however, I can't seem to confidently take out the entire trunk liner without damaging something to get to the rear mounts to adjust them. Thinking about taking it to my local shop, Midnight Oil to have Chad and the crew do that for me, but then I have to test out the stiffness before settling on a level of stiffness...I don't know how I'm going to go about doing this, except to watch how they take out the trunk liner and try to replicate it myself...I did see a post somewhere of somebody creating an extension that goes into the trunk, and I'm a bit of a MacGuyver / Jerry-rigger, but it'll still pose a problem, but I invite the challenge. Looking back, I don't know if there rear adjustables are really needed, but time will tell.

Bottom line, Harold and his team know where they're doing, and just driving into their lot and seeing the Series 1 M along, 335i racecar, and Z4 carbon fiber beast lets you know that these guys are serious, and know what they're doing. I drove up from San Diego to Santa Barbara, 250 miles, to have them work on it, while I could have done it down here, but want the full experience. I know that IF I want to put the Quaife LSD in this thing, that I'll be making the trip one more time...but I think it may be some time before I master this setup, and get the mod bug biting me again.

Thanks again Harold and Mike, nice work, and I'm enjoying every turn out there!
Great write up man!

I have been speaking with Harold and Mike allot since the fall looking at what to do with my dd which has 126k on original sport suspension. I am down to three options. This Koni/Swift setup, the TCKline SA kit with Dinan Camber plates or the Ohlins which just went on sale!!!!
__________________
2011 335i M-Sport Sedan | Dinan Stage II Tune | Bilstein B12 l M3 Suspension Upgrade l BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Front Grill | OEM Euro M-Sport | 19" Volk Forged Performance ME's | JL Audio HD 900 | Morel Hybrid Components | JL Audio W3v3
D's Bimmer is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #62
baggett67
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I E90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 47
iTrader: (2)

Cross reference to my review. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post15425239
baggett67 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #63
richragus
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 E90 335i w/ Sport Monaco
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Diego, Ca

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

On further review, I will be switching out the swift springs...the car is so slammed, that people can't sit in the backseat, at the tires are running ON THE TOP OF THE WHEEL WELL!!! Yes, rubbing on the top....

Don't put these on, it's not worth having to switch them out, unless, you want a track only car
richragus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #64
cvc 22349a
Colonel
 
cvc 22349a's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

Posts: 2,179
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richragus View Post
On further review, I will be switching out the swift springs...the car is so slammed, that people can't sit in the backseat, at the tires are running ON THE TOP OF THE WHEEL WELL!!! Yes, rubbing on the top....

Don't put these on, it's not worth having to switch them out, unless, you want a track only car
Did you reinstall your bumpstops? The oem shocks are weak and probably don't dampen the compression stroke.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/GC/M3/Meyle susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
cvc 22349a is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #65
AGO 530
...
 
AGO 530's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '11 335i E90
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 93
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [5.00]
2008 BMW X5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a
Quote:
Originally Posted by richragus View Post
On further review, I will be switching out the swift springs...the car is so slammed, that people can't sit in the backseat, at the tires are running ON THE TOP OF THE WHEEL WELL!!! Yes, rubbing on the top....

Don't put these on, it's not worth having to switch them out, unless, you want a track only car
Did you reinstall your bumpstops? The oem shocks are weak and probably don't dampen the compression stroke.
I believe he is running the Koni Yellows.
I hope you find a problem, I'm about to install the same Koni / Swift setup.
__________________
'11 E90 MSport / BMS : JB4 - Stage 2 ISO, Downpipe, Intake, OCC, Low Temperature Thermostat / ETS 5" FMIC / Evolution Racewerks CP / Swift R-Spec Springs on Koni Yellow's.
AGO 530 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #66
cvc 22349a
Colonel
 
cvc 22349a's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

Posts: 2,179
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGO 530 View Post
I believe he is running the Koni Yellows.
I hope you find a problem, I'm about to install the same Koni / Swift setup.
Oops I confused him with another guy who is running the swift springs with oem dampers
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/GC/M3/Meyle susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
cvc 22349a is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST