E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Major squeaking after installing D2 coilovers?? Please look! (it's not the spacers)

10-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
WorkhorseActual
Low and slow

Drives: E90 LCI

Major squeaking after installing D2 coilovers?? Please look! (it's not the spacers)

So I had a set of D2 coilovers installed about a month ago with my stock wheels and tires.

Yesterday I finally put on my Varrstoen es2 18" and stretched tires. Nothing too crazy though.
I also added 15mm spacers upfront for a more flush look.

After everything was installed I drove around and noticed a squeaking noise when I hit some bumps and when I turn... At first I thought it was the wheel spacers but now I'm thinking it's the suspension?

Anyone heard of this before?
It didn't do it before with stock wheels (or that I ever noticed) and now I hear it bad.

Last edited by WorkhorseActual; 12-02-2013 at 12:25 AM.
WorkhorseActual is offline   No_Country
      10-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
WorkhorseActual
Low and slow

help?
      11-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
WorkhorseActual
Low and slow

Bump
      11-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
SLOWER
Captain

Drives: 2010 E90 335ix

Garage List
Remove the spacers and go for a ride. If it's still there put the stock wheels back on. Process of elimination.
      11-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
330xtrai
Do you even post BRO?

Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Check the clearance between the wheel and strut. Check the lug nuts are tight enough if the coils have a hex screw that holds the heigh adjustment in place check if that is tight enough just putting out some easy to check things. Good luck
330xtrai is offline   United_States
      11-07-2013, 03:38 AM   #6
wonton1017
Bit by Modbug

Drives: E92 335i M-sport

I also started noticing squeaking noises after installing spacers.

Still have no idea what is causing this, didn't really bother checking. My guess would be either very slight rubbing or some bushings needs to be replaced or relubricated.
wonton1017 is offline   Canada
      11-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Did you happen to lower the car more before you put on the new wheels? Could be squeaky bump-stops. Could just be a lot of pressure on the coil over setup?

-Mike
HP Autosport is online now   United_States
      11-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
WorkhorseActual
Low and slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Did you happen to lower the car more before you put on the new wheels? Could be squeaky bump-stops. Could just be a lot of pressure on the coil over setup?

-Mike
No I didn't. But it's dumped in the back so that's where it's coming from. I hear it when the windows are down and music off.

Speaking of coilovers. I'm trying to raise my rears up but don't know how.. Any help?
      11-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
///M3NACE
Banned

Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

rubbing 100%! I had a buddy who thought it was mice but I was stanced out and rubbed under WOT or bumps. Ended up selling that setup since it was not practical.
      11-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
WorkhorseActual
Low and slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
rubbing 100%! I had a buddy who thought it was mice but I was stanced out and rubbed under WOT or bumps. Ended up selling that setup since it was not practical.
What's rubbing?

Spacers are in the front with plenty of Clearance?

Or do you mean rubbing In the rear?
      11-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #11
Smooth 330i
Major

Drives: Sleepy 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleGrindingCashBadger View Post
So I had a set of D2 coilovers installed about a month ago with my stock wheels and tires.

Yesterday I finally put on my Varrstoen es2 18" and stretched tires. Nothing too crazy though.
I also added 15mm spacers upfront for a more flush look.

After everything was installed I drove around and noticed a squeaking noise when I hit some bumps and when I turn... At first I thought it was the wheel spacers but now I'm thinking it's the suspension?

Anyone heard of this before?
It didn't do it before with stock wheels (or that I ever noticed) and now I hear it bad.
Did you align your car?

Make sure to take a detailed look of your front wheels and coilovers to make sure you are not rubbing, both left and right at various angles. I am guessing one of your wheels is rubbing. We need more info and pics to help troubleshoot. What were your non-squeaking vs squeaking set-up details/settings (wheel widths/offsets and tires, suspension, alignment)?

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
      11-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
HP Autosport

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Quote:
No I didn't. But it's dumped in the back so that's where it's coming from. I hear it when the windows are down and music off.

Speaking of coilovers. I'm trying to raise my rears up but don't know how.. Any help?
No idea how to adjust D2 coils. As some people have said here, I would visit the alignment shop again and maybe throw us some pictures.

-Mike
HP Autosport is online now   United_States
      11-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
WorkhorseActual
Low and slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
No idea how to adjust D2 coils. As some people have said here, I would visit the alignment shop again and maybe throw us some pictures.

-Mike
Well the alignment shop will align my wheels but not adjust ride height. And once aligned and I adjust it will throw it off. Originally I was on stock 18" 189s with rfts and now I'm in varrstoen es2 18x8.5 front and 18x10.5 rear

Rear fended are rolled too. Fronts have plenty of clearance?? ,
      11-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
Smooth 330i
Major

Drives: Sleepy 330i

Quote:
Well the alignment shop will align my wheels but not adjust ride height. And once aligned and I adjust it will throw it off. Originally I was on stock 18" 189s with rfts and now I'm in varrstoen es2 18x8.5 front and 18x10.5 rear

Rear fended are rolled too. Fronts have plenty of clearance?? ,
You need to find a good Indy to set your height properly. They will analyze multiple variables when doing it and one of them is wheels. What offsets are front and rear wheels?

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
      12-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
WorkhorseActual
Low and slow

Fronts are 18x8.5 and the rears are 18x10.5
      12-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #16
WorkhorseActual
Low and slow

Front offsets are 35 + a 15mm spacer and the rears are 33.
      12-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
WorkhorseActual
Low and slow

Tonight I attempted to adjust the rear ride height and I was unsuccessful. I had all the right tools, etc but the rear control arm was a son of a bitch. The bolt at the bottom of the control arm was a PITA to remove and next to impossible to get back in. Literally took me 4 hrs of playing around with it to finally get it back onto place. I took out the strut and when I finally got the control arm to drop and release the spring (I dont have full coilovers, my spring and strut are side by side not all together like most) After it dropped I had the opportunity to adjust the height but since it took me forever I just put it back and everything else. However I just did a test drive and now the car squeaks SO Bad In the rear and I only drove about a mile. I don't have a torque wrench so I tightened everything by hand and just a little past that. This is to include the lug nuts, strut top and bottom nuts and the Nut that goes under the spring. Also the top and bottom control arm bolts. Those are tight as fuck.

Could the problem be too tight of bolts?

I need help. This is getting ridiculous (the noise that is)
      12-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #18
WorkhorseActual
Low and slow

Bump
      12-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
WorkhorseActual
Low and slow

Bump
      12-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #20
R.G.
Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i

Hey buddy,

Sorry your having so many issues. Can you shoot some pics of the rear? Maybe if we could see the set up might get some more people to try and help. Asking even more, if you could shoot a video of the noise? Pop the trunk and push the rear down to try to replicate it.
Cobb*FSR E40 Pro tune*Dinan IC*Dinan CAI*Dinan Strut Tower*Dinan camber plates*Dinan control arm bushings*MS Catless*ER Chargepipe*Tial BOV*Custom dual 2.5" exhaust w/Vibrant race mid cats & resonaters*Vishnu Walbro 455 Inline kit*BMS OCC*Alpina Trans flash*Misc coding*RB PCV*Megan racing toe arms*M3 subframe bushings*Carbon vented hood*Carbon trunk*Carbon grills*DD rear bumper*Race valances*Vorsteiner carbon front lip*M3 Steering wheel w/DCT paddles*M3 Guages*M3 Side Skirts*Carbon side splitters*Volk RE30s
      12-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
WorkhorseActual
Low and slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G.
Hey buddy,

Sorry your having so many issues. Can you shoot some pics of the rear? Maybe if we could see the set up might get some more people to try and help. Asking even more, if you could shoot a video of the noise? Pop the trunk and push the rear down to try to replicate it.
Hey man,
Thanks for the reply.
I popped the trunk and bunched the rear up and down a lot and couldn't replicate the noise. I hear it when I go over dips in the road and/or hit bumps, but I cant replicate it myself just pushing on the rear. I will take a picture of the rear and post it too.
      12-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #22
kalib0y

Drives: 95 LS1 M3

have you checked the condition of your suspension bushings? and if all the suspension is tight? perhaps you need some lube on some of the bushings.