E90Post
 


Evolve Automotive
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Trade-in vs. Private sell



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #45
Shaw
Captain
 
Shaw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i, 2014 F15 X5 35D
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 974
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
So I have a potential buyer (private) and I have spoken to the dealership about convenience trade...I only need to agree on the final price on my current vehicle with the buyer and ask him to do the deal through the dealership...so far so good...
BUT (there is always a but, isn't there?!)
Since I want the Diesel version, the finance rates for Diesel are not yet released in Canada. So if I'm to finalize anything, I need to do it in cash and then add in the finance when the rate is released, which may be surprising (mind you all spoiled US buyers () who are having 2.99 APR, we have a heafty %4.9 interest rate in Canada for most new models!!!). Another BUT is that one dealer said they can not offer any discount higher than 2.5% on the new cars which I think is B-S...
So I may be in for a risky transaction...
Shaw is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #46
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,706
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
So I have a potential buyer (private) and I have spoken to the dealership about convenience trade...I only need to agree on the final price on my current vehicle with the buyer and ask him to do the deal through the dealership...so far so good...
BUT (there is always a but, isn't there?!)
Since I want the Diesel version, the finance rates for Diesel are not yet released in Canada. So if I'm to finalize anything, I need to do it in cash and then add in the finance when the rate is released, which may be surprising (mind you all spoiled US buyers () who are having 2.99 APR, we have a heafty %4.9 interest rate in Canada for most new models!!!). Another BUT is that one dealer said they can not offer any discount higher than 2.5% on the new cars which I think is B-S...
So I may be in for a risky transaction...
You must have more then one dealer in Toronto? Shop around.
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #47
IEDEI
chateau erotica.
 
IEDEI's Avatar
 
Drives: L'Orange 1M
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Posts: 2,756
iTrader: (0)

I had a really tough time selling my 2012 A3 with 46k miles a fewonths ago. everyone just kept trying to devalue it for so many miles....even though it was a great car (like new, really). In the end I traded it in with heavy negotiations and the advantage is that dealers sometimes will get super aggressive to get a deal done, which means I almost got my selling price in trade in value from the BMW dealer.....plus they handle all the paperwork, etc. worked out fine.
__________________
BMW 1M (VO, #374/740)
Audi TT 225 quattro coupe

BMW 135is (sold)

IEDEI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #48
Shaw
Captain
 
Shaw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i, 2014 F15 X5 35D
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 974
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
You must have more then one dealer in Toronto? Shop around.
The X5 isn't out yet and therefore very difficult to get good discounts...the highest I've got so far is 4%. Another one just $3,000 off MSRP.
Still shopping...
I need to respond back to my X3 potential buyer today as well...
Shaw is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #49
willem
Registered
 
Drives: 318da
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: France

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

I would trade. I have problems with my private sell. Someone told me he took it. I trusted him... I'm not really sure he'll gonna buy it. I tried to phone every potential buyers I told it was sold and have now 4 days to make a deal.
willem is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #50
Shaw
Captain
 
Shaw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i, 2014 F15 X5 35D
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 974
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willem View Post
I would trade. I have problems with my private sell. Someone told me he took it. I trusted him... I'm not really sure he'll gonna buy it. I tried to phone every potential buyers I told it was sold and have now 4 days to make a deal.
I'm taking my buyer to the dealership for a trade through.
I will not order the new car before things are finalized with that deal.
However, I'm working with sales to get the price I want on the new order.
It has to happen at the same time I reckon as you wouldn't want to tie yourself up with that dealership once your trade is sold.
Shaw is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #51
thelinux
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 Z4 3si
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Few years ago, I bought an Acura TL new for 28k. few month later traded in it for a van for 29K + 6k off from msrp of 40k van.
thelinux is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST