E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Porsche Macan Turbo, S, and Diesel (First Drive Impressions)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #111
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,447
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Exhaust note for the Macan Turbo is up on the Porsche Macan Microsite, and it sounds pretty damn good!
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #112
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,658
iTrader: (0)

That does sound good and certainly distinctly Porsche even in V6 guise as opposed to flat 6. I loooooooooooooove the sound of the S65 and the Macan will need to at least have some of that aural experience for me to go for it.
Transfer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #113
cjwb1984
Private First Class
 
cjwb1984's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 Sdrive35i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

I agree, that exhaust sound does sound good.
cjwb1984 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #114
blue dragon
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canuckistan

Posts: 381
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
My previous post is totally my view. I still don't see how a small SUV will be sportier then a sedan…Porsche can only "bend" the laws of physics so much.

I drop off my 3 year old at school most days in my 991, zero issues. I could not fit a child behind me though, Im too tall. So two kids won't work unfortunately.
Does that mean only one kid Pej ?
__________________
blue dragon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #115
cjwb1984
Private First Class
 
cjwb1984's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 Sdrive35i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

It's interesting that the picture of the Macan exhaust tip pictured are the squared version. If the various postings going around the net are somewhat true, that the square exhaust tips are for the S and the oval(round shape) are for the Turbo. Then this might be the sound the Macan S.
cjwb1984 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #116
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,447
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwb1984
It's interesting that the picture of the Macan exhaust tip pictured are the squared version. If the various postings going around the net are somewhat true, that the square exhaust tips are for the S and the oval(round shape) are for the Turbo. Then this might be the sound the Macan S.
That clip is from the turbo.

They are wrong. The square tip cars have the red calipers and the dual LED strips up front, which is the Turbo.

Plus, look at the turbo models that are out now, all rectangular exhaust tips. Rectangular exhaust tips are an option on the lower tier models.
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #117
solstice
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2015 M3 on the way
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,863
iTrader: (0)

Anyone seen info wether the Macan will get an Audi sourced Torsen diff or Porsche's own clutch based awd system?
solstice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #118
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,447
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice
Anyone seen info wether the Macan will get an Audi sourced Torsen diff or Porsche's own clutch based awd system?
I have read that Porsche was going to use their own unit.

We will know for certain on the 20th... Hopefully.
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #119
cjwb1984
Private First Class
 
cjwb1984's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 Sdrive35i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

My apologize to those, that I doubted. It definitely seems like there's two twin turbo V6 version for the Porsche Macan.

http://www.porsche**********/content...weight-figures
cjwb1984 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #120
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,631
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Does that mean only one kid Pej ?
Only one in the 911, LOL.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #121
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,658
iTrader: (0)

Leaked specs are out and supposedly it weighs in a bit over 4200 lbs. While that may be lighter than a Q5 or X3, that's a far cry from the supposed ~3750 lbs we've been hearing about. I hope their is something wrong with those leaked specs.
Transfer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #122
///M ARMY
Major
 
Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,084
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
that looks good
///M ARMY is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #123
solstice
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2015 M3 on the way
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,863
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Leaked specs are out and supposedly it weighs in a bit over 4200 lbs. While that may be lighter than a Q5 or X3, that's a far cry from the supposed ~3750 lbs we've been hearing about. I hope their is something wrong with those leaked specs.
That's relatively heavy taken our Cayenne's 4400 lbs and with that in mind I would be inclined to think it has an Audi Torsen diff and not Porsche's own and significantly lighter clutch based AWD system that adornes the Cayennes ( except the diesel and hybrid that has Audi Torsen diff systems ).
solstice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #124
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,447
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Leaked specs are out and supposedly it weighs in a bit over 4200 lbs. While that may be lighter than a Q5 or X3, that's a far cry from the supposed ~3750 lbs we've been hearing about. I hope their is something wrong with those leaked specs.
I was kind of disappointed as well. I wonder if it is just miscalculations since one of the Macan developers indicated 150kg less than the Q5. Although, the base Q5 weighs in around ~4,000 lbs while the SQ5 is around 4,400 lbs. Maybe the Chinese miscalculated? (is that even possible?)

200 lbs weight savings between the Macan Turbo and the SQ5 is pretty good in my opinion, since the SQ5 is the CUV range-topper at the moment.

The one funny thing that has come out of that leaked spec sheet is all of the "ZOMG, Macan Diesel has more torque than the Turbo, why is it slower!!?!? Something isn't right!" threads. :facepalm:
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #125
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,447
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
That's relatively heavy taken our Cayenne's 4400 lbs and with that in mind I would be inclined to think it has an Audi Torsen diff and not Porsche's own and significantly lighter clutch based AWD system that adornes the Cayennes ( except the diesel and hybrid that has Audi Torsen diff systems ).
For reference, Cayenne Turbo is 4883 lbs.
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #126
solstice
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2015 M3 on the way
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,863
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
For reference, Cayenne Turbo is 4883 lbs.
Yes, but the 3.6 V6 Cayenne is 4400 lbs. Turbo plumbing is heavy though so I guess neither is apples to apples but 4200 lbs is a bit disappointing for a relatively small CUV built by Porsche especially if it uses their own light weight awd system.
solstice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #127
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,447
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
For reference, Cayenne Turbo is 4883 lbs.
Yes, but the 3.6 V6 Cayenne is 4400 lbs. Turbo plumbing is heavy though so I guess neither is apples to apples but 4200 lbs is a bit disappointing for a relatively small CUV built by Porsche especially if it uses their own light weight awd system.
If the base macan is like the base Q5, it should be around 4,000 lbs.

Agreed, disappointed in the weight but we'll see what shakes out next week.

0-60 in 4.8 isn't bad.
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #128
solstice
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2015 M3 on the way
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,863
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
If the base macan is like the base Q5, it should be around 4,000 lbs.

Agreed, disappointed in the weight but we'll see what shakes out next week.

0-60 in 4.8 isn't bad.
4.8s is more than fast enough. I will seriously even look at the Macan S if it can be had with an MT. The weight is more of a handling concern. I'm sure it will perform well but will it feel reasonably agile and nimble? It's a tall order for a sedan/coupe at +4000 lbs and even tougher for a car with the Macan's COG. But we'll see, if anyone can make those lbs disappear behind the wheel it's Porsche.
solstice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #129
///M ARMY
Major
 
Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,084
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
makes me want one. Hopefully see it at the auto show next week.
///M ARMY is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #130
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,447
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
4.8s is more than fast enough. I will seriously even look at the Macan S if it can be had with an MT. The weight is more of a handling concern. I'm sure it will perform well but will it feel reasonably agile and nimble? It's a tall order for a sedan/coupe at +4000 lbs and even tougher for a car with the Macan's COG. But we'll see, if anyone can make those lbs disappear behind the wheel it's Porsche.
I heard with the PASM, we're looking at sportswagon height COG (at lowest setting), or it may be the seating position that's as low as a sportswagon. Heard rumors of torque vectoring on the rear axle as a standard feature. Should be a fun ride. The teaser video had shots of the Macan stepping the rear out.

If the Macan S has the 6 or 7 speed manual, that would sway me to go for the S over the Turbo.

1:08 second mark.


Last edited by Gins; 11-12-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #131
solstice
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2015 M3 on the way
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,863
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
I heard with the PASM, we're looking at sportswagon height COG (at lowest setting), or it may be the seating position that's as low as a sportswagon. Heard rumors of torque vectoring on the rear axle as a standard feature. Should be a fun ride. The teaser video had shots of the Macan stepping the rear out.

If the Macan S has the 6 or 7 speed manual, that would sway me to go for the S over the Turbo.

1:08 second mark.

Nice, do you mean PASM and air suspension? I would think PASM alone adds to the ride height to cater for a softer "comfort mode" with no way of changing the spring length or rate while the air suspension has the capability of changing ride height.
solstice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #132
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,447
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Nice, do you mean PASM and air suspension? I would think PASM alone adds to the ride height to cater for a softer "comfort mode" with no way of changing the spring length or rate while the air suspension has the capability of changing ride height.
Right, PASM + Air Suspension (should be standard on the Turbo).

Looks like transmissions will be PDK across the entire line. The "sailing" feature Porsche is pushing on the Macan is unique to the PDK, which is checked as standard for all models on the spec sheet. Still holding out hope.
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST