E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is this true? Audi #1, BMW #3?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-26-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
bsjd00
Lieutenant
 
bsjd00's Avatar
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.

Posts: 407
iTrader: (0)

Is this true? Audi #1, BMW #3?

It this poster full of it, or did Audi really beat out BMW in the new issue of Road & Track?

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4b7/msgs/32161.phtml
bsjd00 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
JamieA
Colonel
 
JamieA's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i SG
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Posts: 2,147
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to JamieA
Someone did post "but this is R&T" indicating that there is probably an Audi leaning there.

Audi's quattro is recognised as being brilliant though, and maybe this win was on the basis of AWD capability only.

Try our RWD against their FWD and see the difference...
__________________
'05 E90 325i 6sp Man SG 118,032km on the odo (retired) | '06 E90 325i Step SG 121,021km on the odo (retired)
'08 E90 325i LCI Step SG 130,024km on the odo (retired)
'13 D30 328i M-Sport Step | Estoril Blue | Black/Aluminimum | Pro Nav | Xenon HBA | Lane Change Assist 1,760km on the odo
JamieA is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:01 AM   #3
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
 
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

Posts: 7,381
iTrader: (12)

I'm more interested in who is #2?
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
NaTuReB0Y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:06 AM   #4
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
 
lux.sh's Avatar
 
Drives: fast around corners.
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Curves

Posts: 4,860
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
I'm more interested in who is #2?
Natureboy, you and I both know its japanese.
__________________
06 AW E90 330i ZPP/ZSP/Step/Expired Warranty

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
lux.sh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:07 AM   #5
ksfrogman
Major General
 
ksfrogman's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Torrance, CA

Posts: 6,751
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ksfrogman
These are all AWD models.
__________________
ksfrogman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #6
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
 
lux.sh's Avatar
 
Drives: fast around corners.
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Curves

Posts: 4,860
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
These are all AWD models.
Just realized that. Quattro > Xi
__________________
06 AW E90 330i ZPP/ZSP/Step/Expired Warranty

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
lux.sh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:09 AM   #7
Chesmu
Brigadier General
 
Chesmu's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 X6
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix,AZ

Posts: 3,014
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Chesmu
Subura legacy beats a 3 series?!?!
uh-uh.
no way.
liar.
bribe-taker
just plain silly
IMO
__________________
"Teach the ignorant. Ignore the stupid."
Chesmu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:11 AM   #8
yujini
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW e90 AW320i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Seoul, Korea

Posts: 261
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
I think that's about right. If we're talking about 4WD, I think Audi's Quattro and Subaru's 4WD technology is above BMW's Xi.

Everything other than quattro for Audi sux though.
yujini is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:14 AM   #9
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
 
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

Posts: 7,381
iTrader: (12)

I'm surprised the Lancer Evo IX is not in there.....
my brother is pissed cause his car didn't make the top 7....hahaha!
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD

Last edited by NaTuReB0Y; 01-27-2006 at 01:31 AM.
NaTuReB0Y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:37 AM   #10
thunderbirdsarego
Private
 
Drives: 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 90
iTrader: (0)

Any idea which issue of Road and Track this was described in?
thunderbirdsarego is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:38 AM   #11
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
 
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

Posts: 7,381
iTrader: (12)

March.........
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
NaTuReB0Y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:39 AM   #12
JamieA
Colonel
 
JamieA's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i SG
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Posts: 2,147
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to JamieA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
These are all AWD models.
Exactly...
__________________
'05 E90 325i 6sp Man SG 118,032km on the odo (retired) | '06 E90 325i Step SG 121,021km on the odo (retired)
'08 E90 325i LCI Step SG 130,024km on the odo (retired)
'13 D30 328i M-Sport Step | Estoril Blue | Black/Aluminimum | Pro Nav | Xenon HBA | Lane Change Assist 1,760km on the odo
JamieA is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:41 AM   #13
JamieA
Colonel
 
JamieA's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i SG
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Posts: 2,147
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to JamieA
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow
Subura legacy beats a 3 series?!?!
uh-uh.
no way.
liar.
bribe-taker
just plain silly
IMO
Wheels Magazine put the Suburu Liberty (as it is called here) above the E46 330i, based on bang for buck.

They acknowledged the 330 was the better driver's car, but not $30k better than the 3.0 Liberty.
__________________
'05 E90 325i 6sp Man SG 118,032km on the odo (retired) | '06 E90 325i Step SG 121,021km on the odo (retired)
'08 E90 325i LCI Step SG 130,024km on the odo (retired)
'13 D30 328i M-Sport Step | Estoril Blue | Black/Aluminimum | Pro Nav | Xenon HBA | Lane Change Assist 1,760km on the odo
JamieA is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:44 AM   #14
JamieA
Colonel
 
JamieA's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i SG
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Posts: 2,147
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to JamieA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yujini
I think that's about right. If we're talking about 4WD, I think Audi's Quattro and Subaru's 4WD technology is above BMW's Xi.

Everything other than quattro for Audi sux though.
Yes, Audi's quattro is what is essential to the Audi DNA. I am very interested to see what happens with (and to drive) the new generation quattro which has a RWD bias, as seen on the RS4, when it moves to general duty...
__________________
'05 E90 325i 6sp Man SG 118,032km on the odo (retired) | '06 E90 325i Step SG 121,021km on the odo (retired)
'08 E90 325i LCI Step SG 130,024km on the odo (retired)
'13 D30 328i M-Sport Step | Estoril Blue | Black/Aluminimum | Pro Nav | Xenon HBA | Lane Change Assist 1,760km on the odo
JamieA is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:51 AM   #15
govtec
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Posts: 642
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA
Yes, Audi's quattro is what is essential to the Audi DNA. I am very interested to see what happens with (and to drive) the new generation quattro which has a RWD bias, as seen on the RS4, when it moves to general duty...
I agree with u Simon Cowell!
govtec is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 12:52 AM   #16
Ed_330i
Lieutenant
 
Ed_330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North America

Posts: 515
iTrader: (0)

Audis are kinda retarted? the motor is always in front of the front axle, yet the AWD is biased for rear?
__________________
Quote:
In the beginning there were Jason and Mark. And they created the E90Post.com forum. And it was good. -LedZep.

15% tint all round
Ed_330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 01:08 AM   #17
JamieA
Colonel
 
JamieA's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i SG
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Posts: 2,147
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to JamieA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_330i
Audis are kinda retarted? the motor is always in front of the front axle, yet the AWD is biased for rear?
You mean retarded...

I don't think this is a great secret, or anyone disagrees with you, even dyed in the wool Audi supporters. It is simply not optimal. Hence RWD biased quattro not being generally available right now, I think the quattro in the RS4 is a "taste test". May as well get income off the engineering investment right now rather than wait for the B8 to be released...

Audi believe in a longitudinal engine, the quattro will not mate with a transverse engine, hence the A3, TT and the VW stable all use a different and far inferior haldex system vs Audi's torsen diff.

Longitudinal engines give rise to packaging problems, and they previously donated the A4 platform to the Passat when they released the next version. With VW now building the Passat off the Golf/A3 platform, the B8 A4 will be free of these constraints.

It will be interesting to see if Audi are really serious about being sporty, because if they are, the B8 A4 will have its engine properly mounted behind the axle, and possibly be RWD... rumours have been circulating about RWD A4 mules doing the rounds... though it could have just been the new quattro system.

The B7 is not really more than a major refresh, and so inherited the B6 architecture, which was frozen when Audi were not as serious about their sporting pretentions.

You see car making is a business like any other... they have to make decisions about where to invest limited capital, and sometimes this can mean half-done cars and compromises... this is visible to you and I because we are enthusiasts, but to joe-public this is largely invisible because they see cars differently --- "I will have the red one thanks!"
__________________
'05 E90 325i 6sp Man SG 118,032km on the odo (retired) | '06 E90 325i Step SG 121,021km on the odo (retired)
'08 E90 325i LCI Step SG 130,024km on the odo (retired)
'13 D30 328i M-Sport Step | Estoril Blue | Black/Aluminimum | Pro Nav | Xenon HBA | Lane Change Assist 1,760km on the odo
JamieA is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 01:18 AM   #18
govtec
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Posts: 642
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA
You mean retarded...

I don't think this is a great secret, or anyone disagrees with you, even dyed in the wool Audi supporters. It is simply not optimal. Hence RWD biased quattro not being generally available right now, I think the quattro in the RS4 is a "taste test". May as well get income off the engineering investment right now rather than wait for the B8 to be released...

Audi believe in a longitudinal engine, the quattro will not mate with a transverse engine, hence the A3, TT and the VW stable all use a different and far inferior haldex system vs Audi's torsen diff.

Longitudinal engines give rise to packaging problems, and they previously donated the A4 platform to the Passat when they released the next version. With VW now building the Passat off the Golf/A3 platform, the B8 A4 will be free of these constraints.

It will be interesting to see if Audi are really serious about being sporty, because if they are, the B8 A4 will have its engine properly mounted behind the axle, and possibly be RWD... rumours have been circulating about RWD A4 mules doing the rounds... though it could have just been the new quattro system.

The B7 is not really more than a major refresh, and so inherited the B6 architecture, which was frozen when Audi were not as serious about their sporting pretentions.

You see car making is a business like any other... they have to make decisions about where to invest limited capital, and sometimes this can mean half-done cars and compromises... this is visible to you and I because we are enthusiasts, but to joe-public this is largely invisible because they see cars differently --- "I will have the red one thanks!"
Simon Cowell, please don't be too harsh with our competitor Audi. This isn't American Idol and we aren't judging based on vocal talent but car talent.
govtec is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 01:29 AM   #19
thunderbirdsarego
Private
 
Drives: 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 90
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yujini
I think that's about right. If we're talking about 4WD, I think Audi's Quattro and Subaru's 4WD technology is above BMW's Xi.

Everything other than quattro for Audi sux though.
I've always regarded the Audi as having one of the best highway driving AWD systems and Subaru as being better in deep snow. But this is largely based on hearsay - I've never seen a road test dedicated at really describing the differences under a wide variety of conditions.

In fact, there was a post on this site recently quoting a foreign publication which preferred xDrive over 4 Matic (Mercs) and the Subaru system?

I think that the truth is that there is not necessarily a better system but many systems each with different characteristics (strengths, weaknesses) when mated to a particular vehicle (weight distribution, suspension, vehicle mass, CofG etc.).

Based on my own testing (I test drove lots of AWD cars prior to purchasing my 330xi) I would say that BMW focussed on retaining a RWD type driving dynamic. The xDrive system and the way it is integrated into DSTC seems to make for a very natural and non-intrusive drive. But I'm sure the Subaru would be better in deep mud/snow. (Having said that I'd love to see some test data!)
thunderbirdsarego is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 01:34 AM   #20
JamieA
Colonel
 
JamieA's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i SG
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Posts: 2,147
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to JamieA
Quote:
Originally Posted by govtec
Simon Cowell, please don't be too harsh with our competitor Audi. This isn't American Idol and we aren't judging based on vocal talent but car talent.
LOL - where did this Simon Cowell thing come from all of a sudden?
__________________
'05 E90 325i 6sp Man SG 118,032km on the odo (retired) | '06 E90 325i Step SG 121,021km on the odo (retired)
'08 E90 325i LCI Step SG 130,024km on the odo (retired)
'13 D30 328i M-Sport Step | Estoril Blue | Black/Aluminimum | Pro Nav | Xenon HBA | Lane Change Assist 1,760km on the odo
JamieA is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 01:37 AM   #21
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
 
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

Posts: 7,381
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA
LOL - where did this Simon Cowell thing come from all of a sudden?
who is simon cowell......?
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
NaTuReB0Y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2006, 08:38 AM   #22
Saintor
Colonel
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MTL, Canada

Posts: 2,369
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjd00
It this poster full of it, or did Audi really beat out BMW in the new issue of Road & Track?

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4b7/msgs/32161.phtml

I may be full of it, but I took it there.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129445
Saintor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST