E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How many own "out of warranty" cars here?



View Poll Results: Do you have a warranty on your car?
Yes 130 35.04%
No 241 64.96%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #111
Hokie_BMW
Lieutenant
8
Rep
545
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC/Blacksburg, VA

iTrader: (0)

I bought my 2007 335 coupe with 33k miles and no warranty whatsoever. My last BMW (2003 330i ZHP) was out of warranty as well the entire time I owned it so I'm used to the high maintenance prices. The low miles eased my mind on the e92 though. Especially with the extended warranties for the turbos, HPFP, etc.
__________________
2007 335i coupe
Jet Black on Saddle Brown | 3 Pedals
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #112
Rayden
New Member
0
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i E90; 2007 X5 4.8i
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

I am about to purchase a 2008 335i E90 with 53.5K miles. It has a CPO coverage for 3 months/3K miles. I am on the fence about adding a 3rd party warranty to the purchase for $3K for 2 yrs/24K miles that basically covers everything.

I thinking am leaning towards getting it as I bought a 2006 550i as-is just last month from this dealer and it turns out it has a pre-existing valve guard issue that was leaking oil. The 3rd party warranty denied the claim from the dealer saying it was pre-existing before the car was sold to me. SO now the dealer is getting me out of that one and into the 335i that I am about to purchase. The valve guard issue was going to be about $6K in repairs, so had I bought it somewhere else and with no extended warranty, it would be serious. You can say I got spooked ... so I am likely to get the 3rd party extended warranty again. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #113
sahyoun
Lieutenant
sahyoun's Avatar
Lebanon
16
Rep
511
Posts

 
Drives: E92 jb4 e85 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad500 View Post
I agree with this fully.

I feel pretty covered even out of the warranty, 120k miles on HPFP , 82k/8years on turbos, 2 year warranty on my recent W/P replacement and 6 on the new battery. I also never drive the car hard so don't feel that I'm accelerating any component wear by my own doing.

Id love to see an honest survey covering 335 owner car problems, how often those problems happen with actually how hard the car "really" gets driven.....I suspect for the majority, there is going to be a correlation.
Yeah i drive about 70 miles a day on the freeway and 30 on back roads and I beat the living crap out of all my 335i's and my old one had a tune, intake, exhaust, dps since 10,000miles. My waterpump/thermostat went out at 66k and turbos went out at 83k. That being said I was running full bolt ons and %100 meth. I dragged the car weekly and redlined it 6-7 times a day. So lets see here. I spend around $800 for the waterpump/thermostat. And $1250 for the turbos and install hardware. so $2050 for owning a car for 5 years modded is pretty phenomenal. Lets see a honda/toyota handle 200hp more than its designed to and only go through a waterpump on the motor
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #114
curiouz_g
Private First Class
2
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i, 04 M3 Vortech'd
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

Mine was bought as an 08 with 21k miles. It now has 26k miles. It still has the factory warranty on it and I bought an extended one for it. 6yrs/100k miles. I will be selling it at 5yrs/85k miles, whichever comes first.
__________________
Daily grinder: 2008 BMW 335I
All weather warrior: 2011 Acura RDX
Weekend thrasher: 2004 BMW M3 6spd Vortech Supercharged VT550+ (500whp @ 9lbs) on 93 pump SAE corrected numbers
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #115
curiouz_g
Private First Class
2
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i, 04 M3 Vortech'd
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahyoun View Post
Lets see a honda/toyota handle 200hp more than its designed to and only go through a waterpump on the motor
I'm guessing you've never been big into the Honda scene. They're a dime a dozen.
__________________
Daily grinder: 2008 BMW 335I
All weather warrior: 2011 Acura RDX
Weekend thrasher: 2004 BMW M3 6spd Vortech Supercharged VT550+ (500whp @ 9lbs) on 93 pump SAE corrected numbers
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #116
ad500
Private
1
Rep
78
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahyoun View Post
Yeah i drive about 70 miles a day on the freeway and 30 on back roads and I beat the living crap out of all my 335i's and my old one had a tune, intake, exhaust, dps since 10,000miles. My waterpump/thermostat went out at 66k and turbos went out at 83k. That being said I was running full bolt ons and %100 meth. I dragged the car weekly and redlined it 6-7 times a day. So lets see here. I spend around $800 for the waterpump/thermostat. And $1250 for the turbos and install hardware. so $2050 for owning a car for 5 years modded is pretty phenomenal. Lets see a honda/toyota handle 200hp more than its designed to and only go through a waterpump on the motor
Exactly and anyone driving hard and modding their car naturally factors in increased repair frequency. It goes with the turf.

What I find damaging (and unjust) to the cars reputation is when owners drive the car hard and when a few repairs come due, claim the car is unreliable.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #117
mxa121
Lieutenant
mxa121's Avatar
14
Rep
585
Posts

 
Drives: M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335iftw View Post
out of warranty, don't want the extended warranty. If I have to repair my car, I will pay up. Simple as that.
this
I have faith in it though
__________________
2009 E92 M3 Jerez Black Metallic DCT 33k miles
2010 E92 335i Le Mans Blue Metallic 6MT 64k miles - sold
2009 E90 328i Le Mans Blue Metallic 6AT 58k miles
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #118
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to LittleBlue
I have an 06 e90 that I bought as a CPO with 6000 miles on it, 7 1/2 years later I now have 66k miles on it. Just this year I have paid for a differential and a water pump both amounting to about $3k. water pump I could understand but the diff was a fluke and not expected.

other than that, I do all the maintenance myself from brakes to oil changes to tensioners/ belt.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #119
Antti
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

Bought my first bmw from Germany which was 330i 2009 lci 73000 miles. When I got it to Finland soon it started running really bad, was misfiring, took it to a dealer and the result was faulty injectors. All injectors, plugs, coils changed. Price for all was 2300$. Luckily I had paid 300$ for a one year warranty in Germany that covers 90% of all costs.
So in the end happy ending, I now have 2000$ worth of new parts for free in my car and after that no problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #120
Nikkit1981
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Arlington VA

iTrader: (0)

I have a 2011 so I'm still under factory warranty but before that runs out next year I will buy a third party warranty for $2K 5 years/100K. I am not a DIYer and major repairs within the 5 years will probably be about $2K. If not I like having the piece of mind that if something goes wrong I won't have to come up with thousands of dollars.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #121
Romanianbimmer
Private First Class
1
Rep
182
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335i xdrive
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hot springs Arkansas.

iTrader: (0)

2010 335i xdrive 33,000 miles. Salvage title. I just relplaced my own timing chain guide. Causing engine to go it to limp mode, generating codes 2a98 and 2a99.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #122
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to LittleBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkit1981
I have a 2011 so I'm still under factory warranty but before that runs out next year I will buy a third party warranty for $2K 5 years/100K. I am not a DIYer and major repairs within the 5 years will probably be about $2K. If not I like having the piece of mind that if something goes wrong I won't have to come up with thousands of dollars.
hi do you mind sharing what that third party is?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #123
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,511
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Finally on this list....last day was Nov. 30 on the 7/100 BMW Gold.

Say turbos need replacing, doesn't the typical driver of a 335i have 3k in the bank, to do the repair? Nobody likes it, but it's a fact of life when driving an older car. An auto tranny in an inexpensive car is no walk in the park, about the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #124
Nikkit1981
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Arlington VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlue View Post
hi do you mind sharing what that third party is?
Route 66
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:43 AM   #125
335i Bubblehead
Fabricator
335i Bubblehead's Avatar
1
Rep
112
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Inland Empire, So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie_BMW View Post
Especially with the extended warranties for the turbos, HPFP, etc.
Do these 'extended' warranties cover the parts even if you purchased the car from an Indy dealer? How do you claim these warranties if there is a potential problem?

I have a 30 day/1000 mile warranty on the car since purchase, but I have a long standing relationship with the dealer (5th car purchase from them) and they have always helped, even if outside the 30/100. normally 50/50 on the labor for power train and drivetrain of the car. The rest if not most I do myself.

I have read a lot about people afraid to be out of warranties; I say, be trusting, make good friends and share your talents between each other and the rest should fall into place (except for the difficult task) ~ Just a thought anyways....:thump:

Service the car regularly, maintain it rigorously...I have always read in every forum from E30's, E36's on up, maintenance is Key to these cars. You have to 'baby' your baby if you want a good long-standing relationship I say!!! I have owned (2) two E30's and an E36 vert...always had the privilege to be on the forums to get the help I needed, when I needed it. Now I have an E92... I am in heaven and just love the car. I don't have a warranty...so I have to be a little careful. I owned a Chrysler 300 prior and thought it was better than all...boy was I mistaken..."300's are made up of with reject parts from MB".... ha ha... but seriously...I took care of it and had only a few issues (intake solenoid replacement (x2)...Notorious for this, brakes and tires.) and I was at 150K miles when I got rid of it...Thank God!

Last edited by 335i Bubblehead; 05-30-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:23 AM   #126
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Thrakos's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: Black E90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada, eh

iTrader: (1)

I bought through independent dealer and bought nationwide warranty at the time.. cost me $3400, but the warranty is unlimited time/ 200k kms (just under 125k miles)... I'm at 93k kms now, so plenty of time and warranty left on my E90.

And since I intend to keep it until the wheels falls off, or I get tired of it :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #127
Hokie_BMW
Lieutenant
8
Rep
545
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC/Blacksburg, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Metal View Post
Do these 'extended' warranties cover the parts even if you purchased the car from an Indy dealer? How do you claim these warranties if there is a potential problem?

I have a 30 day/1000 mile warranty on the car since purchase, but I have a long standing relationship with the dealer (5th car purchase from them) and they have always helped, even if outside the 30/100. normally 50/50 on the labor for power train and drivetrain of the car. The rest if not most I do myself.

I have read a lot about people afraid to be out of warranties; I say, be trusting, make good friends and share your talents between each other and the rest should fall into place (except for the difficult task) ~ Just a thought anyways....:thump:

Service the car regularly, maintain it rigorously...I have always read in every forum from E30's, E36's on up, maintenance is Key to these cars. You have to 'baby' your baby if you want a good long-standing relationship I say!!! I have owned (2) two E30's and an E36 vert...always had the privilege to be on the forums to get the help I needed, when I needed it. Now I have an E92... I am in heaven and just love the car. I don't have a warranty...so I have to be a little careful. I owned a Chrysler 300 prior and thought it was better than all...boy was I mistaken..."300's are made up of with reject parts from MB".... ha ha... but seriously...I took care of it and had only a few issues (intake solenoid replacement (x2)...Notorious for this, brakes and tires.) and I was at 150K miles when I got rid of it...Thank God!
Yes, I'm pretty sure it's regardless of where/when you purchased the car as long as it's still within the window. I purchased mine from a private seller and got my turbos replaced fully under the extended warranty a week later. I just went to my dealer and they confirmed my wastegate rattle and gave me a loaner and said they'd fix it.

However, other than the extended warranty work, my car never goes to the dealer. I trust my indy way more and have known him for 10+ years so he helps me out some too.
__________________
2007 335i coupe
Jet Black on Saddle Brown | 3 Pedals
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #128
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
AddictedToBavarian's Avatar
Portugal
38
Rep
2,762
Posts

 
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (2)

Officially out of CPO since 2/14 and I don't give a damn. I hated going to dealers anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #129
Fillyo75
Lieutenant
Fillyo75's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
420
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago, IL (South Burbs)

iTrader: (0)

Losing my CPO this November, at which point, I am trading in on something else.
__________________
//|Phil
2009 e90 335i | jet black | 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #130
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Welcome to NBA Jam's Avatar
12
Rep
426
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

My manufacturer's warranty just ran out, but I am under the CPO warranty for the next 4 years.

The only issues I've had them fix were superficial.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #131
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
49
Rep
3,706
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Out of warranty 200,000 miles ago, what's the big deal about this?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #132
BMRSEB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2
Rep
219
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E90 335i/6
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillyo75 View Post
Losing my CPO this November, at which point, I am trading in on something else.
Why bother with the car in the first place? Looks like ready to abandon one its "over"!? Bought mine 2007 335i 6spd., warrantyless.. live dangerously, maybe foolish, but whatever.. Enjoying the ride! :-)
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST