E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > (DIY) One little piece needed to enable our USA rear fog lights

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
ska325xi's Avatar (DIY) One little piece needed to enable our USA rear fog lights
ska325xi
03-17-2007
(DIY) enable our USA rear fog lights for E90 & E92

I took my light switch apart and discover that our switch has the ability for rear fogs, but there's one little piece needed/missing to activate it.

The switch is very easy to take apart.....just a few clips on the...
By Infidel on 01-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
Average 80%
Thumbs up It works.

I did this mod the other day on a 2006 330xi, production 12/05(dec 2005).

Removing the trim was much easier than I anticipated, although due to what I assume was the very low temperature (20c) one of the blue trim plugs with the oval metal capture rings broke in half releasing the metal ring still attached to the post on the trim that plugs into the dash. That is a complicated and probably incorrect explanation but the point is to be extra careful if it is quite cold and take your time. For me the breakage was not a problem I was able to put it back together and it is held flush and proper.

Another note was difficulty I had separating the switch from its housing. This caused huge frustration to me until I grew so angry I manhandled it with herculean strength, to which it responded by cleaning disconnecting. Just make sure to press the tabs in while pulling, it will come apart with enough force.

Most notably, I did NOT have to fabricate a switch (although I already had before starting) as the white plastic connector was already there, all I had to do was release the face of the button, cut the little tabs off of it and put it back in. No extra parts required. Removing the button face was not so bad, just use a small jewelers flathead and be judicious with force given its size.

One last important note I am surprised is not mentioned here more. Once you have completed cutting the tabs (+ installing a homemade connector if applicable) and are reassembling, pay particular attention when you put the entire switch back into its housing. When you put the switch into its housing you may hear a click, but in my case the clips HAD NOT actually clipped in place and required substantial force to get them to snap back in place one by one. I almost did not notice this, and if I hadn't then the entire switch face would have pushed into the housing if I pushed on it to activate the lights once I re installed it into the car.

I haven't used the fog lights but they are there and it was a very easy mod.
By blackbeast06 on 02-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFChoslap View Post
blackbeast06 ill take it i live like 2 hours from you
i pm 'd you but just in case you cannot write back post on here. let me know if you got my email
By Vizina560 on 02-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
Average 100%
Done! Nice and easy first mod
By Clammy on 11-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
I bought a Euro switch off Ebay, but when it got to me, it was just the front face! All the electronics, and guts were missing. I was PISSED OFF!

I took the rear fog button off the Euro faceplate, fabbed up a piece per this DIY (thanks for the tips! ), installed the button onto my stock switch, and now have the rear fogs working.

Because I had to use my stock switch, I don't have the LED to light the rear fog switch (the LED isn't installed on the board).

Here's a pic:

Cheers!
By Opo on 11-23-2013, 02:09 PM
2007 e92 335i

I just tried to do this on my car, fabricated my own switch piece, reassembled everything and its not working.... I took it back apart and swapped the special pieces and tried again, rear fogs still won't work, light on the dash doesn't come on, nothing. I did the swap to make sure it wasn't my fabricated piece that was causing the issue.

Any idea why mine aren't working at all?
By ShaverZBT on 11-27-2013, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843
Just did mine last night! Super easy!

I'll be doing this over the weekend.
Comment