E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > COBB AccessPORT for the 2011 BMW 135, 335i and 335xi



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #639
paradoxical3
Captain
24
Rep
705
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjweb View Post
jgabucci,

I heard the same thing as you did in your second message from cobb. My info came directly from Cobb via a local cobb dealer. I think it's BS that COBB just doesn't come out and say that publicly. I bet they've know for a while but don't want to admit that they don't have someone in house with the skill to crack that DME. Either way, your message is dated 12/20 and yet publicly the same day, COBB states that they are still working on it.
This is bang on and I've been saying it for a long time. Very unfortunate as it means anyone with 2012, 2013, or 2014 N55's won't be able to even have a backend flash. This severely limits aftermarket turbo potential for these models too.

So tired of hearing "next week" or "soon" from Cobb.

The sad part is, these DME's aren't going to get easier to crack. It does not bode will for Cobb or the enthusiast market as a whole if we've finally gotten to the point of un-crackable ECU's. The BMW platform has always been kind of an outlier with the success of piggyback tunes, but soon as DME's get more and more locked down other platforms may follow. If you can't crack the ECU, you really don't have a choice besides a piggyback.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #640
bigjweb
New Member
bigjweb's Avatar
0
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

I don't think it's a mater of the DME not being able to be cracked. I think it's more a matter of COBB employing a person with the skills to do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #641
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
divisionbell77's Avatar
6
Rep
467
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

People clearly do not understand how hard it is to crack these, especially when you have one person to work on it. You don't just snap your fingers and its done.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #642
jgabucci
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335XI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbell77 View Post
People clearly do not understand how hard it is to crack these, especially when you have one person to work on it. You don't just snap your fingers and its done.
If COBB has no plans of providing support for newer models they should just come out and say so from beginning. Don't keep people in Limbo waiting for a product that will never be released.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #643
jgabucci
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335XI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjweb View Post
jgabucci,

I heard the same thing as you did in your second message from cobb. My info came directly from Cobb via a local cobb dealer. I think it's BS that COBB just doesn't come out and say that publicly. I bet they've know for a while but don't want to admit that they don't have someone in house with the skill to crack that DME. Either way, your message is dated 12/20 and yet publicly the same day, COBB states that they are still working on it.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #644
JETmn
Captain
United_States
6
Rep
689
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgabucci View Post
If COBB has no plans of providing support for newer models they should just come out and say so from beginning. Don't keep people in Limbo waiting for a product that will never be released.
How do you know how hard something will be to crack until you do it? They do have a very skilled person in house, but you have to remember it is a business. Do you have him spend 200 hours trying to crack the 2012 335i DME or have him spend 40 hours on the BRZ DME? They have to have priorities and they are going to sell a lot more of many other tunes compared to the newer BMW's. Give it time and hopefully he can put some time in here and there and figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #645
rr006rbc
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
724
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgabucci View Post
If COBB has no plans of providing support for newer models they should just come out and say so from beginning. Don't keep people in Limbo waiting for a product that will never be released.
I agree. If you're not going to continue working on a solution just plain out say it so people can find alternatives for what they want for their vehicles. I want the Cobb product and am STILL willing to wait for a unit compatible for my vehicle IF research and development for my DME is still in the works..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #646
jgabucci
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335XI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
How do you know how hard something will be to crack until you do it? They do have a very skilled person in house, but you have to remember it is a business. Do you have him spend 200 hours trying to crack the 2012 335i DME or have him spend 40 hours on the BRZ DME? They have to have priorities and they are going to sell a lot more of many other tunes compared to the newer BMW's. Give it time and hopefully he can put some time in here and there and figure it out.
Everyone seems to be missing my point and the point that others are trying to get across. I'm not questioning there ability or skill. I'm not arguing Cobb's business decisions. This isn't about me giving COBB time to crack a DME, this is about COBB now wasting my time.

I recieved two emails. The first email stated a future product supporting a 2013 DME will be released. I waited several months and inquired again. The second response is what annoyed me a bit. It clearly states there are NO plans to support a 2013 DME.

I look on this very thread and see that COBB representatives are still telling people to wait.

So which is it? Yes or no? I have made my decision already regardless.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #647
JETmn
Captain
United_States
6
Rep
689
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgabucci View Post
Everyone seems to be missing my point and the point that others are trying to get across. I'm not questioning there ability or skill. I'm not arguing Cobb's business decisions. This isn't about me giving COBB time to crack a DME, this is about COBB now wasting my time.

I recieved two emails. The first email stated a future product supporting a 2013 DME will be released. I waited several months and inquired again. The second response is what annoyed me a bit. It clearly states there are NO plans to support a 2013 DME.

I look on this very thread and see that COBB representatives are still telling people to wait.

So which is it? Yes or no? I have made my decision already regardless.
That I totally agree with. If they have given up they need to say so or say that this system is very difficult and they are not committing many resources to it, so don't expect anything soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #648
COBB Tuning
Major
COBB Tuning's Avatar
112
Rep
1,045
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
Right now its still possible, but it will all depend on when everything is more sorted out. Even after we have a full solution, we'll need to create maps, and test thoroughly to make sure everything works as expected.

-Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
Honestly its a matter of getting through security. BMW does a good job of locking down the DME. If I had a date to give you I would, but we aren't close at this point.

-Josh
I don't see how any of this says that it will be "soon" and I've certainly never said "next week". Trust me, I'd love to offer support for these vehicles, but RSA encryption is extremely difficult... its intended to be.

I'm sorry this is upsetting some of you and I'm sure it can be frustrating... it is for me as well. If you have another option and want support for a late 2012+ vehicle, I wouldn't blame anyone for buying something else. As I stated before I don't even see the light at the end of the tunnel on these projects at this point.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #649
rr006rbc
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
724
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
I don't see how any of this says that it will be "soon" and I've certainly never said "next week". Trust me, I'd love to offer support for these vehicles, but RSA encryption is extremely difficult... its intended to be.

I'm sorry this is upsetting some of you and I'm sure it can be frustrating... it is for me as well. If you have another option and want support for a late 2012+ vehicle, I wouldn't blame anyone for buying something else. As I stated before I don't even see the light at the end of the tunnel on these projects at this point.

-Josh
AH. THERE WE GO. Something solid. So all efforts have ceased to develop a compatible AccessPORT unit for our cars. Thank you. Now we have closure..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #650
jgabucci
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335XI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
AH. THERE WE GO. Something solid. So all efforts have ceased to develop a compatible AccessPORT unit for our cars. Thank you. Now we have closure..
Not good news for us 2012+ E9X folks.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #651
jgabucci
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335XI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
I don't see how any of this says that it will be "soon" and I've certainly never said "next week". Trust me, I'd love to offer support for these vehicles, but RSA encryption is extremely difficult... its intended to be.

I'm sorry this is upsetting some of you and I'm sure it can be frustrating... it is for me as well. If you have another option and want support for a late 2012+ vehicle, I wouldn't blame anyone for buying something else. As I stated before I don't even see the light at the end of the tunnel on these projects at this point.

-Josh
Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #652
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Th3xf4ctor's Avatar
8
Rep
528
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
I don't see how any of this says that it will be "soon" and I've certainly never said "next week". Trust me, I'd love to offer support for these vehicles, but RSA encryption is extremely difficult... its intended to be.

I'm sorry this is upsetting some of you and I'm sure it can be frustrating... it is for me as well. If you have another option and want support for a late 2012+ vehicle, I wouldn't blame anyone for buying something else. As I stated before I don't even see the light at the end of the tunnel on these projects at this point.

-Josh
Hey Josh,

Been away from my car for almost 6 weeks and haven't had a chance to get you some new logs and to talk to you regarding the little minor thing i was running into. My car is going in on the 31st of this month for some service and other little issues including the waste gate rattles...typical lol...but after that I will fully update my AP and then ref lash the car and hopefully it was just a weird occurrence. But I will remain in touch with you and throw you some updated logs when i get back to make sure everything is running A-OK.

Appreciate all your doing.
__________________
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #653
schach23
BMW enthusiast
2
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i x-drive
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (4)

Just wanted to say how extremely pleased I am with Cobb and especially Josh. I have a 2011 so was able to get the Cobb installed. Thought I had a bad unit, emailed Cobb, they were very prompt about getting me a replacement. Turns out it was my own install problem and nothing wrong with the AP, thanks to Josh. Got my DME updated by the dealer with Josh's advice and reasurrance and then re-installed the AP. Now running Stage 1 Aggressive on an otherwise stock car and it is awesome. Don't need much more for my daily driver and have no plans for tracking. Contemplated the PPK but ultimately went with the Cobb due to cost and potential. Turn off the DTC and DSC and it's white knuckled acceleration!! Awesome is all I can say.

Thanks a ton Josh.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #654
sy2767
Captain
sy2767's Avatar
No_Country
23
Rep
845
Posts

Drives: 2011 335 XDRIVE
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ft Mcmurray

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schach23 View Post
Just wanted to say how extremely pleased I am with Cobb and especially Josh. I have a 2011 so was able to get the Cobb installed. Thought I had a bad unit, emailed Cobb, they were very prompt about getting me a replacement. Turns out it was my own install problem and nothing wrong with the AP, thanks to Josh. Got my DME updated by the dealer with Josh's advice and reasurrance and then re-installed the AP. Now running Stage 1 Aggressive on an otherwise stock car and it is awesome. Don't need much more for my daily driver and have no plans for tracking. Contemplated the PPK but ultimately went with the Cobb due to cost and potential. Turn off the DTC and DSC and it's white knuckled acceleration!! Awesome is all I can say.

Thanks a ton Josh.

Scott
Very nice to see a satisfied customer happy with their product-purchase. Was the DME update at the dealer free? What's the purpose of getting this done?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #655
melloww22
Captain
melloww22's Avatar
13
Rep
695
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i E90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

tough luck for 2012+ models... I would stop asking for updates and just get surprised when and if it happens... most of you may have a different car by then anyways
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 02:46 AM   #656
PeteA
Captain
PeteA's Avatar
Australia
15
Rep
811
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
I don't see how any of this says that it will be "soon" and I've certainly never said "next week". Trust me, I'd love to offer support for these vehicles, but RSA encryption is extremely difficult... its intended to be.

I'm sorry this is upsetting some of you and I'm sure it can be frustrating... it is for me as well. If you have another option and want support for a late 2012+ vehicle, I wouldn't blame anyone for buying something else. As I stated before I don't even see the light at the end of the tunnel on these projects at this point.

-Josh
RSA encryption? How long is the prime factor key size? Must be pretty massive. Don't blame you guys for having difficulty one bit. Wonder how Dinan have done it?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #657
Turbmando
New Member
2
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2012 135i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Anyone using Cobb's ATR for the N55? Just spotted it on their site and it is free!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 02:56 AM   #658
melloww22
Captain
melloww22's Avatar
13
Rep
695
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i E90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbmando
Anyone using Cobb's ATR for the N55? Just spotted it on their site and it is free!
Didn't know it was free but their request form is a good product marketing survey... ATR can easily mess your ECU if the user experiments on their car...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #659
Bladerunner
Captain
Bladerunner's Avatar
8
Rep
613
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: mississauga

iTrader: (6)

Hey josh,

I updated my AP withe new V.200 and when I went to install it there were some red maps that said they were locked to another system, is this planned or is this a software glitch?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #660
sy2767
Captain
sy2767's Avatar
No_Country
23
Rep
845
Posts

Drives: 2011 335 XDRIVE
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ft Mcmurray

iTrader: (1)

Ordered my cobb V3 from mike@N54 today, excited to finally get this thing and start exploring it. I had my DME updated at the dealer last week because of surging issues with what i am hoping was the latest software, Should i update the accessport online before downloading any maps to my car?

Last edited by sy2767; 02-22-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST