E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New Mini Cooper unveiled

11-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Anodite10
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: with a seat belt on

New Mini Cooper unveiled

It's hard to tell the difference between this and the old one, but the new technology in the car is impressive. I didn't expect it to get features such as HUD and full LED headlights at all. The 2 series doesn't even get that.. I'm disappointed with the interior though. It looks too similar to the cartoonish appearance of its predecessor.

New Mini gets a more angled bonnet and windscreen, while the headlights are now less pronounced than before.

Riding on BMWs UKL1 platform, which is set to underpin a number of BMWs upcoming compact FWD models, the new Mini will be larger than the model it replaces.

The new car is palpably larger than its predecessor

The new Mini has been officially unveiled

BMW's new UKL1 platform underpins the car

Familiar circle-shaped cabin elements remain

Quote:
The new car is palpably larger than its predecessor
The new Mini was officially unveiled in London last night ushering in a host of new design elements and drivetrain features.

The exterior design is vastly different than before and incorporates such features as an hexagonal radiator grille, headlamps and rear light clusters with wide chrome surround, a more angled bonnet and windscreen and circular daytime running lights surrounding the headlights. Full-LED headlamps will be offered as an option.

The new cars cabin carries over a number of aesthetic cues from that of the outgoing model with circular facia elements in abundance. The most obvious changes stem from addressing some of the previous cars ergonomic quirks. The centre of the facia is no longer occupied by a large speedometer and the windows get the conventional buttons on the doors instead of the previous cars retro flip switches on the centre console.

New Mini rides on BMWs UKL1 platform, which is set to underpin a number of BMWs upcoming compact FWD models. This vehicle has grown longer by 98 mm, wider by 44 mm, taller by 7 mm and has a wheelbase thats 28 mm longer than that of its predecessor. The company claims that overall interior space has increased and boot space has grown from 184 to 211 dm3.

The company has used the launch of the new Mini to introduce a range of new engines with TwinPower (turbocharging and direct fuel injection) technology. The standard Cooper comes fitted with a 100 kW 3-cylinder petrol engine, while the Cooper S is powered by a 141 kW 4-cylinder unit and the Cooper D with a 3-cylinder diesel that pushes out 85 kW and a fuel consumption figure of around 3,6 litres/100 km. The default transmission is a six-speed manual with an auto box or a sports auto box with paddle shifters offered on certain models as an option.

To retain, and hopefully improve upon, that fun go-kart-like handing for which the Mini has always been loved, the company has revised the existing suspension set-up to compensate for the new cars increased power and body rigidity, as well as its lower kerb weight. The new suspension tech includes single-joint spring strut axle with aluminium swivel bearing and axle supports and a new multilink rear axle. Also helping with handling and dynamics is the electromechanical power steering with Servotronic as standard and dynamic stability control with traction control and electronic differential lock control. Theres also the option of an adaptive damper control system with two settings sport and comfort.

There is a range of driver assistance systems available as options on the new Mini. This includes head-up display, driving assistant including camera-based active cruise control, collision and pedestrian warning with initial brake function, high-beam assistant and road sign detection, parking assistant and a rear view camera.

The new Mini will arrive in SA early in 2014.
Anodite10 is offline   South Africa
      11-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Anodite10
Lieutenant Colonel

For 293 more official photos, go to http://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/201...-familiar.html
      11-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
kyleb350
Brigadier General

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

So that diesel will get 65 miles per gallon?! Hyrbid shprybrid.
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
      11-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)

Drives: C7 Stringray

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
man i loved that the center speedometer, sad it went away : (.
      11-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
lust4bmw

Drives: E46

uhmm looks strange.. hope it will be able to compete in this though car market of today sales are virtually down across the board...competition is really harsh and the disappearing of the middle class..sad times in the automotive world to come..
      11-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
So that diesel will get 65 miles per gallon?! Hyrbid shprybrid.
UK MPG or US MPG?
      11-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
kyleb350
Brigadier General

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
UK MPG or US MPG?
Good point. I'd guess UK... not sure what that is in US.

/Edit/ Looks like 54 MPG U.S.
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
      11-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
rayg
Private First Class

Drives: 435i

Nice interior...it still seems like a female orientated car to me though.
      11-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #9
MikeyV
Captain

Drives: VW Touran, Audi A1 Sportback

This doesn't interest me, I'm waiting on the new Clubman, it looks like it will be the best looking MINI of the new generation.

11-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
glennQNYC
Captain

Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.83]
NBT navigation?
      11-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Anodite10
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
This doesn't interest me, I'm waiting on the new Clubman, it looks like it will be the best looking MINI of the new generation.
I think you're right. It does look good.
      11-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A

Drives: .

I loved the old Cooper S, I think I'll need to check the new S/JCW out as well...
      11-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
halfmoonclip
Second Lieutenant

Drives: X1 28i

Okay, the new Min and the new FWD Bimmers are to share a platform. How about sharing some dealerships as well?
I would have been stone serious about a Min as our next purchase, but the only dealer is buried in-town in Pittsburgh, which is just a giant PITA for service.
Since they will be sharing components, why not let them be purchased and maintained at the same shops? Or am I getting all hung up on that 'making sense' thing?
Moon
      11-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
car_fan
Captain

Drives: 2012 F12 650cic / 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Okay, the new Min and the new FWD Bimmers are to share a platform. How about sharing some dealerships as well?
I would have been stone serious about a Min as our next purchase, but the only dealer is buried in-town in Pittsburgh, which is just a giant PITA for service.
Since they will be sharing components, why not let them be purchased and maintained at the same shops? Or am I getting all hung up on that 'making sense' thing?
Moon

At least 3 BMW Dealerships here in South Florida sell/service MINI as well.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW
      11-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
voigtcjva

Drives: bmw

I would have been stone serious about a Min as our next purchase
      11-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #16
ra2fanatic
Lieutenant General

Drives: '08 AW E92 335i

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ra2fanatic
as a current mini owner, i hate the exterior but really like the interior. sad to see the middle speedo go...

Camden S...Stg4
ra2fanatic is offline   United_States
      11-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #17
Nkc
Captain

Drives: E89-Z4 35i, E36-MZ3, E82 1M

Can they still be called Mini's anymore, its becoming like an oxymoron. The majority of Mini's I see in the parking lots are huge.
      11-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #18
immx
Private First Class

Drives: 520d SE LCI

Quote:
Moon
I don't see why not either. Here in the UK, all BMW dealers that I know also have a mini dealer either on site or next door!
immx is offline   United Kingdom
      11-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #19
Anodite10
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic View Post
as a current mini owner, i hate the exterior but really like the interior. sad to see the middle speedo go...
Quite the opposite for me hey. What mini do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Can they still be called Mini's anymore, its becoming like an oxymoron. The majority of Mini's I see in the parking lots are huge.
And will continue to growl which is a good thing for some. Once it hits mainstream hatch size a lot more people will consider it

Quote:
Originally Posted by immx View Post
I don't see why not either. Here in the UK, all BMW dealers that I know also have a mini dealer either on site or next door!
+1
      11-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #20
MikeyV
Captain

Quote:
Moon
It's pretty common in Europe for MINI and BMW to share dealerships. My local BMW dealer isn't an official MINI dealer, but can sell them and they are an official MINI service centre.
      11-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #21
MikeyV
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic View Post
On the Countryman the centre speedo is pointless as there is a digital speedo in the rev counter, I don't think I ever look at the centre speedo, the only person is my wife and she generally makes me slow down. So I'm happy to see it go. The interior quality appears to have made a big improvement, the current MINI interiors are not good enough for a premium priced product.
      11-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #22
Kyle B
This one goes to 11.

Drives: E30, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post