E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Affordable Care Act web site

11-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Tom_135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 135i

Affordable Care Act web site

Who designed the web site? Everyone say's its slow & bla bla bla. I haven't heard who was the Geek that designed it.

Caesar has lots of excuses.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
240,000 Miles
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Moon

Unhappy

I believe it was a Canadian firm
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic

Garage List
No such thing as affordable care.

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Tom_135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Anyone who rides a jackass likes it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 N54

The woman in charge is 65 years old. She's probably been on the internet for all of 6 months.
      11-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Tom_135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I heard the First Lady had an old school chum that was awarded the contract".

Why didn't the president just blame past Geo. Bush.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_135i
Who designed the web site? Everyone say's its slow & bla bla bla. I haven't heard who was the Geek that designed it.

Cgi
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
bbbbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/25/mi...acare-website/
      11-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i (RIP) - 2006 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_135i View Post

Whoever it is they are $600 million dollars richer now.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #10
Muhsan12
Registered
Rep

Drives: Honda

Our excellent online University of Saint Joseph training programs will lead you to success in the pass4sure.co.uk `exam. We also offer latest EXIN and University of California, San Francisco with 100% success guarantee. Our Youtube is rare in IT world.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Version 2.0 is supposed to be better, but you can't go "window shopping" for policies yet, even though it was supposed to happen yesterday.

Par for the course . . .
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #12
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhsan12 View Post
Pretty much every other Western democracy disagrees. They provide medical insurance to all their citizens. At a cost per citizen considerably less than ours. And most get care that, by most every quantitative measure, is better than ours. I call that "affordable care".

The exceptions are those country that have government run health care, as well as government run health care insurance. England and Canada. Their care is no better than ours.

Getting back to the thread. The new contractor hired early this year is Accenture Federal Services. It's a division of Accenture, a multibillion dollar multinational consulting and data corporation, with a reasonably good reputation. They no doubt have many people working on this, so there's no one "designer". They do a ton of work for the Feds, much of it for the military, with contracts larger than the health care insurance site.

The new website doesn't go fully live until the 15th. It is open now for people to look around, and see what their choices will be. Kind of a beta.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 11-11-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #13
bbbbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Pretty much every other Western democracy disagrees. They provide medical insurance to all their citizens. At a cost per citizen considerably less than ours. And most get care that, by most every quantitative measure, is better than ours. I call that "affordable care".

The exceptions are those country that have government run health care, as well as government run health care insurance. England and Canada. Their care is no better than ours.

Getting back to the thread. The new contractor hired early this year is Accenture Federal Services. It's a division of Accenture, a multibillion dollar multinational consulting and data corporation, with a reasonably good reputation. They no doubt have many people working on this, so there's no one "designer". They do a ton of work for the Feds, much of it for the military, with contracts larger than the health care insurance site.

The new website doesn't go fully live until the 15th. It is open now for people to look around, and see what their choices will be. Kind of a beta.
Well we are one step closer to having medical insurance for all of our citizens, thanks to the "stupidity of the American voter":

"...by referring to the “stupidity of the American voter” as a reason the law was able to pass, the MIT professor and Affordable Care Act (ACA) architect has outraged Republicans, caused Democrats to face-palm, and generally lived up to the conservative stereotype of a tone-deaf academic elitist."

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Deco...ouse-face-palm

Just curious - how is "provide medical insurance to all their citizens" different than "government run health insurance?"

And you forgot all those pesky details - like the US having a legal system that encourages frivolous medical lawsuits, and the US paying for drug and medical development for the entire world. And the US having wide-open borders. And Obama's impending "executive action" to make illegals citizens, which opens the door for them to bring their parents and relatives to the US, and put them on Medicare and Medicaid. Details, details...
      11-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Just curious - how is "provide medical insurance to all their citizens" different than "government run health insurance?"
Pretty much the same thing, although I suppose you could pick at the semantics.

Let's talk about the differences between America (even today, when employer based insurance using private insurance companies is still the norm) and pretty much any Western democracy, which have real substance.

The just had a TV story on how a young woman had a heart attack and, incapacitated, was transported to a hospital that was "out of her network". The original bill to her was $300,000. After the story went public, and extensive negotiations with both the insurance company and the hospital, it was reduced to a mere $40,000. Had she been able to direct the 911 crew to her "in network hospital", which was 3 blocks away from the first, her cost would have been $1400 in deductibles.

On air, she wanted the private insurance company and the hospital to "work it out", since she still owes $40,000. As if either organization had any requirement or motivation to do so. As I said, she's young.

Only in America, as the saying goes. In most Western democracies, whichever hospital they took her to, her cost would have been approximately zero (don't know the details of every countries system, but some countries have no deductible).

One commercial advantage the rest of the world has over us is there better health care insurance. It makes people over there, whose skills we could use, reluctant to come here. Not to mention keeping their citizens healthier, by most everything than can be measured. There's real value in that.

Mincing words here is not necessary. It's hardly a matter of details. The real differences are stark. One likely reason that the hospital was "out of her network" was that, most likely, her employer offered her only one choice, the best for them. Linking insurance to employment is stupid in so many ways. Which is why no country that decoupled them, has ever gone back. People would revolt.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 11-13-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #15
bbbbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post

The just had a TV story on how a young woman had a heart attack and, incapacitated, was transported to a hospital that was "out of her network". The original bill to her was $300,000. After the story went public, and extensive negotiations with both the insurance company and the hospital, it was reduced to a mere $40,000. Had she been able to direct the 911 crew to her "in network hospital", which was 3 blocks away from the first, her cost would have been $1400 in deductibles.

On air, she wanted the private insurance company and the hospital to "work it out", since she still owes $40,000. As if either organization had any requirement or motivation to do so. As I said, she's young.

Only in America, as the saying goes. In most Western democracies, whichever hospital they took her to, her cost would have been approximately zero (don't know the details of every countries system, but some countries have no deductible).

One commercial advantage the rest of the world has over us is there better health care insurance. It makes people over there, whose skills we could use, reluctant to come here. Not to mention keeping their citizens healthier, by most everything than can be measured. There's real value in that.
Something is wrong with that news story. The policies I know (including BCBS policies) all have an out-of-pocket maximum - that's the most that you will pay before insurance starts paying at 100%. And that maximum on a typical policy is $3,000-$5,000.

If this happened in another country, it certainly wouldn't be "free" - the citizen taxpayers of that country would be on the hook to pay for it.

And most of my colleagues in foreign countries get their supplemental insurance through their employers, in order not to have to deal with their less-than-desirable national health insurance services.
      11-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #16
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Something is wrong with that news story. The policies I know (including BCBS policies) all have an out-of-pocket maximum - that's the most that you will pay before insurance starts paying at 100%. And that maximum on a typical policy is $3,000-$5,000.
There's nothing wrong with the story.

Your scenario only applies if the hospital is one that's on Blue Crosses "in network" list. "Out of network" is different, and that's where the 911 crew took her. She was incapacitated at the time.

It also affects the hospital's charges. "In BC network" hospitals have an agreement with BC to accept the BC reimbursement. "Out of BC network" hospitals don't have any agreement with BC, and can charge a BC subscriber anything they want. BC has no obligation to pay anything but their listed "out of network" reimbursement.

A real mess, that leaves her with a surprise, a $40,000 debt, after negotiations with the hospital and BC. Her original bill was $300,000. It could happen to you, your private insurance coverage may not be as good as you think. Surprise.

Among major Western democracies, only in America does crap like this happen.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 11-14-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Appreciate 0