E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > My brand new hartge lip = showing cracks. what should I do? *pics*

01-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
My brand new hartge lip = showing cracks. what should I do? *pics*

I received my brand new hartge lip from germany yesterday. I got a chance to inspect the lip real closely today and found cracks everywhere. :mad: And remember, I still haven't checked VERY carefully. I was afraid I would find more cracks.

-These aren't huge cracks, small cracks that can possibly extend over period of time
-It seems like these aren't primer or anything coming off, I can feel the actual plastic piece getting cracked. Can someone give me an expert advice on this?

*Damage 1: Not too bad, but crack seems like its extending
*Damage 2: Not too bad, not too deep but definitely cracking some.
*Damage 3: pretty bad. crack seems to be pretty deep, everywhere.
*All these "cracks" look like bunch of scratches just like the ones shown all over the lip, but when you actually touch them, you can tell its "cracking".

So what the hell should I do about this? Somebody please tell me these aren't cracks I have to worry about.

This is really starting to PISS ME OFF. After all the trouble I had to go through to receive this package, I find it with bunch of fucking cracks on it. :mad: :mad:

Is there anything I can do about this to get replacement? I don't want to ship it all the way to back to germany. thats $$$. and it'll take another 10 years to receive it again. goddamn it.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :

Last edited by lux.sh; 01-27-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 330i

The box doesn't exactly look like it's in great shape. Is the lip made of fiberglass? It kind of looks like by the way the cracks are growing that the lip was bent/flexed. I would definitely ask for a replacement but it shouldn't be your expense. That's either poor quality control from hartage or maybe more likely, from the look of the box, mishandling by the shipping company/poor packaging. my 2c.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
longtran
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
thats what you got for $600+?? i thought the lip was made of fiberglass? looks like cracking to me. make sure you have the crack taken care of before paint or you'll have more problem later.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep

Ya, I guess you could patch the cracked areas with fiberglass. I'd at least let who ever you bought it from know and ask for some kind of compensation from them or the shipper. It probably had shipping insurance.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghunger
The box doesn't exactly look like it's in great shape. Is the lip made of fiberglass? It kind of looks like by the way the cracks are growing that the lip was bent/flexed. I would definitely ask for a replacement but it shouldn't be your expense. That's either poor quality control from hartage or maybe more likely, from the look of the box, mishandling by the shipping company/poor packaging. my 2c.
Good observation with the box and crack. Here are pics of the box.

Obviously cracked from bent/flexed deal.
To defend the seller(he is a good guy afterall) who shipped it out, it did have Fragile sign all over the package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
thats what you got for $600+?? i thought the lip was made of fiberglass? looks like cracking to me. make sure you have the crack taken care of before paint or you'll have more problem later.
Exactly man. If I knew authentic hartge lip is like this, I would've saved $$$ and bought a replica being sold in ebay or by a member here. I know if I have to fix the crack and get it painted, it'll cost extra $$$ to do it. GODDAMN IT.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep

That box looks horrible. I'd definitely contact the guy who sold it to ya and just explain what happened and get the shipper/insurance to cover it.

European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #7
longtran
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
if it aint usps, ups, fedex, or dhl goodluck filing a claim.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
File a claim for "concealed damage", make sure you state that or else they'll deny your claim base on the fact that you signed for the product. Those cracks can be easily repaired by any body shop that knows how to work with fiberglass. You should be expecting these when you order fiberglass parts. Based on the photos, those are very minor cracks, no real structural damage, only the gel coat got cracked. With the condition of the original lip you would've still needed the shop to prep it. A shop will probably charge you no more than extra $20 to patch it up with bondo. I doubt they'll actually repair it with fiberglass unless the actual FB part actually got cracked also.

Quality wise... I hate to tell you I told you so if you remember when I was offering some replicas.

Edit:
Make sure you keep all your packing materials, actually, I would throw in some more. If it was just those bubble wraps, most shipping companies will claim it's improperly packaged.
      01-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #9
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Quality wise... I hate to tell you I told you so if you remember when I was offering some replicas.
Thanks for the tip tim. I really appreciate it.
and that comment really hurts. stop it.

I'll see what I can do and keep you guys updated regarding this issue.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well I didn't feel too good when people were treating me like a con-man out to scam everyone on here's money... anyways, I'm over it.

Just want to add one more thing, see how much the seller declared with the shipping company when he was shipping. The shipping company usually only will pay out that amount. If you want to fight for more, make sure you get the seller to produce an "altered" invoice and send that to you. Shipper won't refund the shipping cost, so lets say your lip cost you $400, and $200 for shipping, the shipping company will give you $400 only. Good luck with that.
      01-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #11
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to HRC
Shit, that's sooo fucked up! I would send that shit back, the shipping company or whoever did a number on that. If I were to get it fixed, I would try to get them to take it off the price. Sorry to see that Lux.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
yujini
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW e90 AW320i

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
Damnit. That sucks.
I thought I'd be able to see a AW with hartge lips soon from lux.
Hope everything works out well.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #13
shragon
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i SG Sedan

ouch. that sucks. def file a claim.

what is the lip made of? is it really fiberglass? i'd stay away from fiberglass in general, esp for the front of the car.
      01-27-2006, 07:18 PM   #14
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: ♥

lux.sh I feel sorry for you man... you are so nice and friendly all the time and this shit happens to you... very sad... I hope you can sue their fucking asses and get all the styling parts you want in return or I'll gladly will give them a bad reputation and send in all your information to the swedish newspapers.. good luck e90-friend!
      01-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #15
sunchild
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

the question is, who did you buy from, I don't think it was Hartge direct.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 10:23 PM   #16
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
thank you everyone for kind words and help. hopefully something better happens in near future. I'll keep you guys updated.

As for the seller, no it wasn't hartge direct. I would like to keep seller's information private for now. Seller is nice guy, and has been helping me regarding previous issues i had to deal with. I assume the seller will share responsibility regarding this matter. If things doesn't work out, I will let you guys know more in details.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #17
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep

Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

i think hartge lip is made of fiberglass, its not as good as those made of polyutherane or somethin like that...does anybody know which brands carry these polyutherane front spoilers?? pls pm me if any of u guys can help me out here thx a lot =)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 03:11 AM   #18
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep

Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Holy crap that box got fucked up!. if you don't want to send it back because of the time delay, i'd take it somewhere that fiberglass work is done to get it repaired before putting it on

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 03:43 PM   #19
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
YeeoOuch! good luck on your next purchase or patch up by your trusty local bodyshop.

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #20
schwma
My first bimmer...but definitely not my last!
Rep

Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Did you pay with a credit card or AmEx? If so, you could dispute the charge and have it reversed. Send those pics to the people you bought it from, especially the ones of the box! It's obvious that your package went through a, um, significant event. Whatever the solution is, they, the seller, should be the ones that have to hassle with it. I would ask them to send me another, along with a paid return label for you to send them the damaged one back in. Hopefully they will.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #21
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
well it seems like seller doesn't want to do sh1t about this situation.
this is awesome.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #22
Ed_330i
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i

hey lux, that box looks like the box that accord dudes broken supercharger came in on v6p

15% tint all round
Appreciate 0