E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Anything more comfortable than KW Street Comfort? Maybe spring + dampers?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Stangorang
Major
Stangorang's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Question Anything more comfortable than KW Street Comfort? Maybe spring + dampers?

I think it is time to change out my current suspension setup. The car will probably not see anymore track days to justify the current setup (JIC Coilovers).

I am looking for the most comfortable setup with a reasonable drop.

Is there anything more comfortable than the KW Street comfort coilovers?
How about Eibach + Koni Yellow/FSD? H&R Sport + Koni? Something else I am not thinking of?

I was leaning towards Ohlins but can't justify the cost right now.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
dtea604
Lieutenant
dtea604's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
561
Posts

 
Drives: 06 E90 325i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

St coils since you live in Cali u can adjust your height exactly the same as kw v1,other then the fact that its made out galvanized steel which would corrode in salt. Or you could go with Joni yellows swift aprinfa plus m3 front control arms and links possibly m3 rear sub frame bushings to.
__________________
---------------------------
VMR VB3 // Mtec v4 AE //Nokya 7000k // M-tec LED plate lights // OEM blacklines // 20% window tint // Cyba air scoops // K&N + charcoal filter delete // BMS Powerbox // front splitters // Hamann front lip// M-tech trunk lip // Magnaflow custom // ER SS brakelines // KW V1's // RS tecknik spacers // H&R spacers
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Stangorang
Major
Stangorang's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt604 View Post
St coils since you live in Cali u can adjust your height exactly the same as kw v1,other then the fact that its made out galvanized steel which would corrode in salt. Or you could go with Joni yellows swift aprinfa plus m3 front control arms and links possibly m3 rear sub frame bushings to.
Why would I get the ST/KW v1 coilovers when the Street Comforts are likely more comfortable? I am looking for the most comfortable ride at this point.

I already have most of the M3 parts, which in my opinion don't do anything for comfort.


I just want the most comfortable ride with an aesthetically pleasing drop. I actually think the Eibach pro kit is a decent enough drop so I would consider those.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
ashmostro's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335is DCT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, VA

iTrader: (9)

SCs probably make the most sense for your performance and budgetary needs. If ohlins are outside of your budget then DA tcklines probably are too...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,266
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (8)

To answer the title of your thread, no and I've run a few different spring/damper combos.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Stangorang
Major
Stangorang's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
To answer the title of your thread, no and I've run a few different spring/damper combos.
What combos have you run?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,266
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (8)

Koni FSD and Sports with oem Sport springs and Koni Sports with BMW PS springs and bumpstops. The best of those for ride quality was probably oem sport springs with Koni Sports.
There's just more compression travel with KW SC prior to bumpstop contact than any of those spring/shock combos. The springs are stiffer so the car follows road irregularities more but bumps are absorbed by the suspension more so than being transmitted to the chassis. BMW uses bumpstops as a secondary spring whereas KW uses them to prevent the dampers from bottoming. But if you lower the car too much with KW you'll lose that extra compression travel and ride quality will get harsh as it does with lowering spring/shock combos.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,446
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
I think it is time to change out my current suspension setup. The car will probably not see anymore track days to justify the current setup (JIC Coilovers).

I am looking for the most comfortable setup with a reasonable drop.

Is there anything more comfortable than the KW Street comfort coilovers?
How about Eibach + Koni Yellow/FSD? H&R Sport + Koni? Something else I am not thinking of?

I was leaning towards Ohlins but can't justify the cost right now.

Thanks!
Comfortable is a VERY subjective question. I haven't driven the KW SC but have heard some relatively good feedback about them. Koni + SWIFT is always a great option. Try to keep spring rates relatively lower for the softest ride, but you will sacrifice body roll. If you can, find some forum members close to you with different setups and go for a ride.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Stangorang
Major
Stangorang's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Comfortable is a VERY subjective question. I haven't driven the KW SC but have heard some relatively good feedback about them. Koni + SWIFT is always a great option. Try to keep spring rates relatively lower for the softest ride, but you will sacrifice body roll. If you can, find some forum members close to you with different setups and go for a ride.

-Mike
Very true. I thought the stock ZSP suspension was plenty comfortable if that helps any.

Is there a significant difference in the strut tube diameter on the Koni's vs KW? Anything wider than what I currently have is going to rub on the inner lip of my rims.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
Rival
Lieutenant
8
Rep
451
Posts

 
Drives: 95 z28
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: shytown

iTrader: (0)

ditch run flat tires and it will help too
__________________
2008 328i 6spd
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
ashmostro's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335is DCT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, VA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival View Post
ditch run flat tires and it will help too
+11ty billion
__________________
2013 335is DCT -- Quaife | JRZ RS1 - 450/800# | M3 + Hardrace arms | e93 M3 + Hotchkis f/r sways | BMS CP + OCC | ETS 5" IC | AFE DP's + DCI | RB PCV + Thermo Delete | Setrab + Improved Racing oil cooling | Stoptech f+r BBK | Cobb BQ Tune

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
Stangorang
Major
Stangorang's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival View Post
ditch run flat tires and it will help too
Did that years ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,446
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
Very true. I thought the stock ZSP suspension was plenty comfortable if that helps any.

Is there a significant difference in the strut tube diameter on the Koni's vs KW? Anything wider than what I currently have is going to rub on the inner lip of my rims.
If there is a difference it is VERY minimal because you still need to fit the strut within the spindle of the suspension frame.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
comfort, comfortable, koni

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST