E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Software update questions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
CC 330i
Captain
 
CC 330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 722
iTrader: (0)

Software update questions

Does anyone know if software updates are available now for the E90?

My dealer said last week that they didn't have the software available to activate the factory alarm yet. This doesn't seem right. Has anyone else had their factory alarm installed and activated?

Does anyone know how to determine the current software level of an E90 without IDrive?

Also, does anyone know what the most current software level or version is? Apparently I need 16.02 or later to activate the alarm.
CC 330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

1) Depends what your E90 came with from the factory

2) Dont know if it been added to the "retrofit" software list yet

3) Only the dealers service computer can tell you waht version software you have ( idrive or not )


Now comes the bit where people get confused

The car have a certain main software number loaded ( say E60-05-03-500 )
Now the dealer recieves the sofware on a DVD called a CIP disk
These CIP disks have number like 15.0, 15.1, 51.2, 16.0 ect ect
the CIP disks contain sofware for 1Series, E90, 5 Series, 6 Series and 7 Series.

Everytime one of these cars software changes a new CIP disk is released.
But becasue one changed doesnt mean the others did
So CIP 15.0 may have new software for the 5 Series, but not the E90
Only the dealer can check if there is new software for the E90 by seeing if a new sofware number is on the disk for the E 90
eg E60-05-06-520 to replace E60-05-03-500 we had before

So we have to wait and hear which CIP have new E90 software


CIP 17.1 is the latest out
It has a small fix for a eronious european N52 VANOS fault, nothing else for the E90
CIP16.1 or newer is needed for the cars that wont allow Bluetooth to work ( these car already had this software, but for some reason it didnt load properly in the bluetooth module )


I think we need a sticky on Software updates

Last edited by E90Fleet; 06-19-2005 at 04:30 PM.
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
CC 330i
Captain
 
CC 330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 722
iTrader: (0)

Very informative reply. Thank you for taking the time to post this!!
CC 330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
Very informative reply. Thank you for taking the time to post this!!
My pleasure
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
CC 330i
Captain
 
CC 330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 722
iTrader: (0)

I just got this response on another board:

Same as the E46

1. Turn off the radio
2. Turn on the radio
3. Hold the "m" key for 10+ seconds and wait for the radio s/n info to display
4. Push the "+" softkey for software info display

I tried it and I got the following:

SW
03-2005 94.3.1
VER
ST-10 03-2005 5.16.0

So I assume this means that I have "version 16.0"
CC 330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

Doesnt show the CIP version

thats a internal software version for 1 module


The CIP 17.1 software version for the E90 is E89x-05-06-510
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

The ONLY way to see your software version is to plug the car into the dealers Service computer
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2005, 05:53 PM   #8
CC 330i
Captain
 
CC 330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 722
iTrader: (0)

Thanks again! I greatly appreciate it!
CC 330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2005, 06:28 PM   #9
skimo
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austin Texas !!

Posts: 531
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to skimo
OMG E90 Fleet !! How do you ever find out this info? You are so knowledgable

I only wish my dealer knew half as much as I did !!
skimo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2005, 06:53 AM   #10
crazybones
Second Lieutenant
 
crazybones's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

E90Fleet - thank you for your informative post. Have you access to any further information regarding the european N52 VANOS fault. Several of us with European 325's have a "hesitation" at 3100rpm and I'm wondering whether this is a fix.

Thanks.
crazybones is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2005, 07:13 AM   #11
onesixeight
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones
E90Fleet - thank you for your informative post. Have you access to any further information regarding the european N52 VANOS fault. Several of us with European 325's have a "hesitation" at 3100rpm and I'm wondering whether this is a fix.

Thanks.
Can anyone elaborate on the 325's hesitation at 3100 rpm? My US car seems to be exhibiting a flat spot in the acceration at that RPM range...just about 3000 rpm. Feels like the tranny is slipping type feeling...but I've felt this feeling in 530s and my 745Li. I'm thinking it's a trait of the 6sp auto gearbox.
onesixeight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2005, 07:21 AM   #12
crazybones
Second Lieutenant
 
crazybones's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight
Can anyone elaborate on the 325's hesitation at 3100 rpm? My US car seems to be exhibiting a flat spot in the acceration at that RPM range...just about 3000 rpm. Feels like the tranny is slipping type feeling...but I've felt this feeling in 530s and my 745Li. I'm thinking it's a trait of the 6sp auto gearbox.
The hesitation mentioned is in manual cars and is engine/ECU related. I have seen other posts concerning hesitation with US auto cars, but that is a different problem. That said, if your hesitation is engine related, could it be the same?
crazybones is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2005, 08:48 AM   #13
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimo
OMG E90 Fleet !! How do you ever find out this info? You are so knowledgable

I only wish my dealer knew half as much as I did !!
Thanks

Ive been following the E60 5 Series boards since they came out, and have learnt a lot from some German BMW software engineers there
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2005, 08:50 AM   #14
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones
E90Fleet - thank you for your informative post. Have you access to any further information regarding the european N52 VANOS fault. Several of us with European 325's have a "hesitation" at 3100rpm and I'm wondering whether this is a fix.

Thanks.
The problem I was referring to is one where early cars are hard to start and/or run rough
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2005, 09:03 AM   #15
crazybones
Second Lieutenant
 
crazybones's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
The problem I was referring to is one where early cars are hard to start and/or run rough
E90Fleet - Thanks for the clarification - I'll continue to live in hope!. It saves me a trip to the dealer.
crazybones is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #16
silverado
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boston

Posts: 587
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
Does anyone know if software updates are available now for the E90?

My dealer said last week that they didn't have the software available to activate the factory alarm yet. This doesn't seem right. Has anyone else had their factory alarm installed and activated?

Does anyone know how to determine the current software level of an E90 without IDrive?

Also, does anyone know what the most current software level or version is? Apparently I need 16.02 or later to activate the alarm.
I don't know about software versions, but I can tell you that 3 weeks ago I took my car in to activate DRL and was told that it could not be done because the dealer didn't have the software in their computer to do it. I then called BMWNA and they informed me that a bulletin has been issued and that there was new a software update that the dealer could get to turn that feature on. Last Friday, my daytime running lights were indeed turned on by the dealer. My alarm was also installed and activated.
silverado is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2005, 07:06 PM   #17
CC 330i
Captain
 
CC 330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 722
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
I don't know about software versions, but I can tell you that 3 weeks ago I took my car in to activate DRL and was told that it could not be done because the dealer didn't have the software in their computer to do it. I then called BMWNA and they informed me that a bulletin has been issued and that there was new a software update that the dealer could get to turn that feature on. Last Friday, my daytime running lights were indeed turned on by the dealer. My alarm was also installed and activated.
Silverado, thank you! I am getting the run-around from my dealer. I will let them know that another person I know has their alarm activated, and I want to know why THEY don't have the software update.

I was on hold for 30 minutes trying to talk to my service department, and then I left a message. 3 hours later I called them back and they still hadn't called me. I finally got someone and they were clueless! It's a newer dealership, so I guess I will let it slide for now, but I am starting to get an uneasy feeling.
Thanks,
Arthur
CC 330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2005, 07:15 PM   #18
CC 330i
Captain
 
CC 330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 722
iTrader: (0)

Hmm, I just called BMWNA and they claimed that there has been no update and that they don't have the ability to activate the alarm yet. I am getting FRUSTRATED! Why would they have it in Boston but not California?
CC 330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2005, 11:19 PM   #19
AudiA4
Private First Class
 
Drives: '06 330i 6M, Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR USA

Posts: 153
iTrader: (0)

Does anyone know if the newest software version 17.1 addresses the electronic throttle/hesitation issues discussed so prevalently here lately? I should be picking my car up tomorrow with the software upgrade - prompted by the need to enable bluetooth.

I guess I can post if I feel any difference!
AudiA4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2005, 11:25 PM   #20
CC 330i
Captain
 
CC 330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 722
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4
Does anyone know if the newest software version 17.1 addresses the electronic throttle/hesitation issues discussed so prevalently here lately? I should be picking my car up tomorrow with the software upgrade - prompted by the need to enable bluetooth.

I guess I can post if I feel any difference!
Please verify with the dealer what version of the software you get and the release date if possible. I can't even get my alarm activated according to my dealer.

Thank you!
CC 330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2005, 01:23 AM   #21
silverado
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boston

Posts: 587
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
Hmm, I just called BMWNA and they claimed that there has been no update and that they don't have the ability to activate the alarm yet. I am getting FRUSTRATED! Why would they have it in Boston but not California?
This is bizarre! BTW, I'm not the only one who has activated the alarm on the E90. There is another thread on this board in which someone talked about the alarm installed on his E90. Do a search for it.
silverado is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2005, 05:05 AM   #22
RachelS
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Posts: 191
iTrader: (0)

Yes, anyone activate the alarm yet with Idrive and NAV
RachelS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST