E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > BC coilovers for XI

12-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Exxxtacy
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi 6mt

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
BC coilovers for XI

like the title states i was wondering if anyone has/had the bc coils for there xi.
any pictures of them as well?

i contacted BC racing not to long ago about fitment for the Xi and they confirmed that they do fit but i guess it was reported that the front leaves like an 1" wheel gap or something like that. so i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these coils on their Xi.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
duhVUz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 XI

you might as well ask if anyone has used a "I" front strut on "XI" model. Beside weight, the main difference is strut length for front. Many times the rear is the same setup between I/XI for same model of E9x.

So ask the general for any "I" strut installed on "XI" for feedback and you can gauge the coilover adjustment due to wrong strut height...

then you need to figure out if the spring/strut rate would work for your needs being XI is heavier and may bounce with less control then using XI setup.

Honestly, I am not sure if it is worth the risk to save $... if money is issue, may consider Spring/sport strut&shock
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
Exxxtacy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
i wouldnt say its necessarily a money issue. i dont think kw is what im looking for and i definitely do not want to go spring strut. my few options seem to be h&r coils but i just dont see many people use them to get a good feel what im looking for
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
jwzimm
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe

The problem here is that the xi front hub carriers are different. They have to pass a drive shaft through them while the rwd ones do not. BMW simply raised the strut attach point up about an inch to accommodate the shafts. This is why the rwd struts work but raise it about an inch.

As you said, you have few options. Everyone here seems to really like the KW's. I have them myself and will be doing the install this weekend. H&R's are also an option. You probably can install coilovers from a rwd car but you will be contending not only with the 1-inch difference mentioned above but also that the spring rates are not set up for the heavier xi.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
WiscoE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i Xdrive

Garage List
ha. i have KWs right now and was looking to go to BCs but am curious about the ride height too...

I want low... like really low... BC's ive seen tucked, kw v1s... not so much
      01-09-2014, 12:39 AM   #6
Exxxtacy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I don't think you're gonna get that with the BCs. Unfortunately like I said it's known to leave a 1" gap.

I came across a new set of awd coils from sonic tuning there s1 or s3 coils. The drop rate of those are .5" - 3". Which is really great for our cars and they are priced decently too. They are on sale for $899 free shipped. I haven't seen any pictures for the xdrive but with the price and the drop rate I'm willing to take the chance. Probably gonna pull the trigger on these soon.
Kyle_e92
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
WiscoE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle335xi View Post
I don't think you're gonna get that with the BCs. Unfortunately like I said it's known to leave a 1" gap.

I came across a new set of awd coils from sonic tuning there s1 or s3 coils. The drop rate of those are .5" - 3". Which is really great for our cars and they are priced decently too. They are on sale for $899 free shipped. I haven't seen any pictures for the xdrive but with the price and the drop rate I'm willing to take the chance. Probably gonna pull the trigger on these soon.
post pics when you get them installed!