E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Which brand covers it all?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
matthatchett
Private
matthatchett's Avatar
0
Rep
69
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Columbus, Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Which brand covers it all?

Hey guys! I'm new to detailing but I have always been crazy about keeping my vehicles clean. I'm looking to get a little more into this as a hobby and hopefully one day maybe make a little extra money on the side. I realize that everybody has their own preferences but I'm curious as to what brand you think covers it all. I'd like to start somewhere and then branch out to other brands once I find out what I like. If you had to pick ONE brand to detail your car from top to bottom, inside and out, what would you choose? Just to clarify, I'm talking about Mothers, Meguiars, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
PTek Will's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
259
Posts

 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: san jose

iTrader: (0)

One does not simply pick one brand and call it a day but Meguiars Detailer's line is a relatively cheap and professional way to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Otruba_843
Major
Otruba_843's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,458
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Pretty much no brand covers it all. The only one I can think of is Swissvax, but for a beginner thats $$$$. Meguiars has a few good products as do most brands. I don't stick to one brand.
__________________
2009 E90 328i Monaco Blue
premium/idrive/convience/logic-7/cold weather/ xenons/ saddle brown interior
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
TheEd
New Member
0
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: 07 328i
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Here are my preferences:

Clay - Doesn't matter, AutoMagic holds the patent on detailing clay, anyone that tries to release their own clay (Instead of buying it from AutoMagic and re-boxing it), they sue them. Every third press release from AutoMagic is about another won patent infringement lawsuit.

Compound - Meguiar's M105

Polish - Meguiar's M205

Sealant - Chemical Guy's Blacklight

Wax - Doesn't matter, pure wax does not provide shine or depth, just protection, I've used $80 waxes and $6 waxes, there is no difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 04:50 AM   #5
BMWinAZ
Private First Class
BMWinAZ's Avatar
1
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0 si
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: US & Germany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2007 BMW X3 3.0is  [0.00]
Chemical Guys
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Former USMC
Private First Class
Former USMC's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
101
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is Crimson Red
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern Ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthatchett View Post
Hey guys! I'm new to detailing but I have always been crazy about keeping my vehicles clean. I'm looking to get a little more into this as a hobby and hopefully one day maybe make a little extra money on the side. I realize that everybody has their own preferences but I'm curious as to what brand you think covers it all. I'd like to start somewhere and then branch out to other brands once I find out what I like. If you had to pick ONE brand to detail your car from top to bottom, inside and out, what would you choose? Just to clarify, I'm talking about Mothers, Meguiars, etc.
I personally like Griot's Garage...they have products to cover EVERYTHING (wash, wax, polish, clay, protectants, etc.) including videos. I have no personal interest in the company whatsoever, just use their products. They promise and deliver excellent quality products. I have used their products for years with no disappointments whatsoever.

Semper Fi
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
DetailersDomain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
DetailersDomain's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
3,805
Posts


 
Drives: 15 MW M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (22)

how far did you want to go with it, or just the basics, I agree no brand has it all, but some have a lot.

here is a kit that has a lot, also have a DVD for the basics.

Adam's Essentials Kit a complete starters kit
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
Hokie_BMW
Lieutenant
8
Rep
547
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC/Blacksburg, VA

iTrader: (0)

You really just need to try stuff out and see what you like. I'm partial to chemical guys and their products fill most of my bag. They make great products at a good price. But blackfire wet diamond is my sealant of choice.
__________________
2007 335i coupe
Jet Black on Saddle Brown | 3 Pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
Gig103
Major
United_States
15
Rep
1,299
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ

iTrader: (1)

There's no reason to stick to a single brand, go with what works. My supply shelf is spread out... Optimum makes a good detail spray and waterless wash; CG makes good car shampoos; Meguiars and Menzerna make good compounds and polishes; Blackfire makes the best sealant; and Poorboys is a decent, cheap wax, although I have some others that I've tried.
__________________
Was: 2008 335xi sedan 6MT Black Sapphire Metallic
Is: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Nero (black metallic)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #10
matthatchett
Private
matthatchett's Avatar
0
Rep
69
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Columbus, Indiana

iTrader: (0)

There are just so many options! It's hard to decide what to use without any personal experience. I've looked into Mothers and Meguiars as well. They both seem to have most of what I think I will need. I've also seen a lot of good reviews for Chemical Guys. Thanks for the input! I will just have to do some research and find out where to start. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 11:27 PM   #11
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,548
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

While there are a few brands that cover almost everything, I believe Meguiar's covers most than any other brand. They have the best value, products selection and overall quality.

As was said above though, most people like to use different products from different manufacturers, but by all means it's not wrong for you to buy a bunch of Meguiar's stuff and then if you find something lacking, improve it as necessary with a competing product.

Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #12
e90Mark
Captain
e90Mark's Avatar
Philippines
8
Rep
709
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Warren, MI

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
While there are a few brands that cover almost everything, I believe Meguiar's covers most than any other brand. They have the best value, products selection and overall quality.

As was said above though, most people like to use different products from different manufacturers, but by all means it's not wrong for you to buy a bunch of Meguiar's stuff and then if you find something lacking, improve it as necessary with a competing product.

Ivan @ DI
+1
I was going to come in here and say this. You can make a pretty complete one brand system with Meguiar's. I did this and I think I just use a different car shampoo, since they only have a a wash&wax one, which I don't want.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
medic894
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

For wheel cleaning, Sonax is by far the best wheel cleaner product I've found, expensive but damn does it work like magic.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:05 PM   #14
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,548
Posts


 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Mark View Post
+1
I was going to come in here and say this. You can make a pretty complete one brand system with Meguiar's. I did this and I think I just use a different car shampoo, since they only have a a wash&wax one, which I don't want.
Mark, have you tried their gold class wash that's available at most local car part stores? I personally use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss but still find the Meg's gold class wash a great everyday soap.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:42 PM   #15
MDesmond
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

I use Zaino because … I've used it since 2001.

After prep, claying and 2 coats of Z-2, everything slides off the car. Just added another coat the next 2 times I wash. Now the car takes only a few minutes to wash … the wheels and their area? They take time.

Zaino cotton towels are nice, too, and rimless …

Adams wash mitts, glass towels and MF Towels are very good.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #16
e90Mark
Captain
e90Mark's Avatar
Philippines
8
Rep
709
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Warren, MI

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Mark, have you tried their gold class wash that's available at most local car part stores? I personally use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss but still find the Meg's gold class wash a great everyday soap.
I haven't. I must've missed that. I'll look for it, thanks!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #17
Rydicule
Private First Class
2
Rep
150
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT, US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesmond View Post
I use Zaino because I've used it since 2001.

After prep, claying and 2 coats of Z-2, everything slides off the car. Just added another coat the next 2 times I wash. Now the car takes only a few minutes to wash the wheels and their area? They take time.

Zaino cotton towels are nice, too, and rimless

Adams wash mitts, glass towels and MF Towels are very good.
+1

Personally, I've used a wide variety of brands/products, and to be honest... nothing has done a better job either in looks or longevity than Zaino.

However, there is a caveat... I don't really believe Zaino is the way to go to start out. Most of my previous statement is reliant on using a wide variety of Zaino products, that would be very expensive to purchase all at once. Even then, it isn't the only product I use either.

For me, a standard semi-annual detail requires:

Sonax Wheel Cleaner
Einzett Cockpit interior cleaner
Invisible Glass glass cleaner
Clay Magic Claybar (with Meguiars Quick Detailer)
Menzerna Inensive Polish

Zaino Z7 Car Wash
Zaino ZP-C Fusion Paint Cleaner
Zaino Z2-Pro Show Car Polish
Zaino ZFX Flash Curator
Zaino Z6 Ultra Gloss Enhancer
Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal
Zaino Z8 Grand Finale Spray
Zaino Z9 Leather Cleaner
Zaino Z10 Leather Conditioner
Zaino Z16 Perfect Tire Gloss
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #18
DMH-01
Captain
DMH-01's Avatar
8
Rep
668
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335d M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Essex

iTrader: (1)

I have and use a wide range of brands but if I had to pick one then I would say Autosmart.

I don't think there as well known on your side of the pond yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #19
335iAP
Lieutenant
5
Rep
512
Posts

 
Drives: Alpine White 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I'm no pro detailer, but I imagine I'd be pretty happy sticking to optimum.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #20
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
81
Rep
4,448
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Check out our products! We have pretty much everything you need to detail your car. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST