E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Swap my 328i xdrive for the VW GTI MK 7 coming in fall 2014?

12-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
OceanView18

Drives: BMW 328i xdrive

Swap my 328i xdrive for the VW GTI MK 7 coming in fall 2014?

Ok - I may be nuts here, but I drive a manual 328i xdrive from 2011 CPO I've had for a few months - and I find the clutch to be fairly stiff, and annoying - driving this thing in the city is very tiring ---- thank goodness my commute isn't very long...

Also, I've read the threads on people having issues with the shift from 1st to 2nd gear - and this is the biggest issue for me - I hate shifting from 1st to 2nd, I just can't do it smoothly - if anyone has another thread or video or a better explanation on how to do this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Not to mention that I have to spend more on this car to get it to where I want - run flats are the equivalent of medieval torture, and I will be replacing those promptly in January with regular continental extreme contact DWS for a smoother ride.

Then there's the suspension - I really want to switch to the KW1 by H&R for another $2,000 (including installation) so with that, and the tires I"m looking at $2,700 additional. I'm assuming this will help transform the car, and can't wait, but it bothers me knowing I could of purchased something from the factory with a sport suspension from the start.

It's still a great car, tremendously solid and great at high speeds - but I sometimes think if I'd be happier with a GTI (granted I have to wait about 9 months) but I could hold on to this car and possibly sell it - get the lighter GTI, that already has a sport suspension from the start, more space, etc, but not quite in the league in terms of refinement.

Does anyone else have issues shifting this car smoothly? I'm hoping with the tire change to non-run flats I'll be more content with this car as many on the forum have said...
      12-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
OceanView18

guess I scared people away with this post)
      12-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
mastermayhm
Brigadier General

Drives: n54 e90 LCI 6MT

do the cdv mod and add a clutch stop.... these clutches arent that stiff though...but those mods should help

N54 LCI xDrive 6MT MSport || P Mods: KW V1, JB4 G5, BMS flash, UUC SSK, VRSF DP...
Mayhm's Build Thread
mastermayhm is offline   United_States
      12-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
ccraig13
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

CDV delete fixed it for me
      12-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
AlpineSwift
Colonel

Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

+3 for CDV delete. Completely different feel from the clutch. 2nd BMW I've done it to. For a freebie mod, it makes a world of difference.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP V2, ar design DP's, BMW PE w/Race Cats & Cyba Tips, VRSF CP w/Tial BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS DCI, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Alpina TCU Flash, Turner Boost Gauge, Fully Coded.
Tanya: The Build Thread
Dyno Sheets w/Current Mods
AlpineSwift is offline   United_States
      12-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
SpaceyGray

Drives: 328i X-Drive

GTI is FWD with many of the shortcomings inherent in its design. You'll forgo a fair amount of handling prowess even in stock form. That said, drive one for yourself and carefully choose.
      12-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
SDemetris
FSAE Dude

Drives: E90 328xi

My friend DD'ed my 328xi and commented on how nice the clutch is actually with my CDV delete.. He was coming from an e36 m3, but still i think the point is valid. Also H&R does not make the V1s. My previous car was a VR6 passat with the haldex awd and its understeer was awful compared to the xdrive. I imagine fwd is even worse. I would definitely drive it more than once before jumping into a VW

1985 Gazelle Beige 325e: Nursing it back to health from PO negligence.. Soon to be track car.
      01-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
OceanView18

Thumbs up CDV delete vs. replace with Zeckhausen CDV?

Thanks so much and happy new year to all for their great advice...!

So glad I can solve the problem with the CDV delete. Question on my 2011 328i xdrive - a shop I called will do this for me but encouraged me to get the Zeckhausen CDV installed instead so that IF there are issues with the clutch down the road, the BMW dealer won't say that the CDV is missing etc, as this modified one will be there instead.

And Zeckhausen Racing also says that their replacement CDV makes sense if your car has steel lines as opposed to rubber and so replacing is better than the total delete and crimping steel lines, etc..

Thoughts? Can't wait to take care of this!
      01-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
uj81117
Private

Drives: 335xi 6mt coupe

Is there really a night and day difference with the cdv delete?
      01-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
mastermayhm
Brigadier General

Drives: n54 e90 LCI 6MT

a modified cdv just has a piece of plastic knocked out of the stock cdv... just take it out. poke a screw driver through it and remove the piece, then reinstall

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanView18 View Post
Thanks so much and happy new year to all for their great advice...!

So glad I can solve the problem with the CDV delete. Question on my 2011 328i xdrive - a shop I called will do this for me but encouraged me to get the Zeckhausen CDV installed instead so that IF there are issues with the clutch down the road, the BMW dealer won't say that the CDV is missing etc, as this modified one will be there instead.

And Zeckhausen Racing also says that their replacement CDV makes sense if your car has steel lines as opposed to rubber and so replacing is better than the total delete and crimping steel lines, etc..

Thoughts? Can't wait to take care of this!

N54 LCI xDrive 6MT MSport || P Mods: KW V1, JB4 G5, BMS flash, UUC SSK, VRSF DP...
Mayhm's Build Thread
mastermayhm is offline   United_States
      01-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #11
zsqure
Enlisted Member

Drives: '12 Turbo Beetle

VW will always be a VW. There is no level of refinement that compares with the 3 series. I made the switch from a loaded 328XI to a turbo Beetle with sun sound nav and miss the 3 series almost everyday. The TB has more zip, but there is no comparison. It is an expensive economy car.
'09 MCCS
'06 A4 2.0T retired
zsqure is offline   United_States
      02-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
e90.enthusiast

Drives: 09' E90 335xi LCI M-Sport 6 MT

The CDV is on my to do list but IMO I would flush the clutch and flush the manual transmission fluid. Reasoning be A) preventive relatively inexpensive maintenance can't hurt B) fresh fluid in your tranny will make a significant difference, I know when I changed mine at 95,000k, and it got rid of a lot of the roughness trying to change gears it also made the 1-2 transition smoother.