E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Just test drove the Audi A5 3.0TDI Quattro

10-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Just test drove the Audi A5 3.0TDI Quattro

This is my direct comparison against the E92 and particulary the 335d

im sure some of you will remember i went out in a S5 a month or so ago but unfortunately didnt get to drive it, well late this afternoon/early evening i got the pleasure of driving the new Audi Coupe, visually as good looking altho less aggressive that its sportier cousin!

It was Champagne type colour, wouldnt be my choice but it didnt look all that bad even tho it was dirty and had optional 18" alloys

First impressions of the interior were, VERY modern didnt really notice this so much in the S5 as i was positioned in the passenger seat, but from the drivers seat it seems far more futuristic comapared to the E92.

The seats are sport items and look very nice, the leather feels hard compared to BMW's and the seats are much firmer, which is suppose in essence is sportier but the 335d's are comfier and do a better job of supporting with the bosters pushed into your sides.

The needles do a ''flashy'' swing around the speedo and rev counter upon starting which i liked.. i could not for the lofe of me get used to the speedo, 80 is where you would think 60 is and 100 where you think 80 should be so its very easy to be going faster than you think you are travelling!

the car was a manual, you do have to pretty precise when placing a gear change, for a single Turbo 3.0 diesel it was very responsive, with no lag and with plenty of bottom end poke, only thing is you did feel the lack or urgency tail off heavily above 4.4-4.5k FAR FAR more noticable than the 335d, which seems to always have the go, and never really feel that, ''backwards'' run out of diesel ''puff'' which seems so inherrent with diesel turbos!

for me the 335d does not drive like a diesel that much, it may only rev to 5k but pulls HARD all the way, maybe its the two turbos. the 2nd one able to pull so hard until the end of the counter... The A5 felt like a diesel, drove like a diesel and was quite quick for a diesel...

it did feel like 40-50bhp down on the 335d (which it is, not to mention the torque its down aswell) , and altho the book figure is 5.9 -0-60, the 335d would beat that (0-60 time) and quite comprehensively annihilate the A5 3.0 turbo lump to 100mph!

i did a standing start which the 4wd ate up with ease and even spun the wheels, fronts i imagine! the ride was superb... ate up every single bump and made me realise how hard the 19" runflats really are!!!

as i pulled up next to the 335d i was in no doubt that the BMW is the right car for me!!! far more focussed and much faster!

for 39k tho it is a very nice looking coupe!!

the fancy LED headlights look the part also!!

hope you have enjoyed my breif write up on this Audi 3.0 TDI, im sure you would have found the comparison slightly intetesting as it is a direct comparison/competitor to the E92 series and the 335d!

i have to go, as the miswah is badgering me and im about to watch Top gear which is featuring the Audi R8 tonight, a car which is not as quick as an M5 touring to 100mph lol

thanks

Carlos
      10-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
Z4 Beemer
Colonel

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to Z4 Beemer
Good writeup Carl.

I don't really see the point of the dials sweeping around and back when you turn the ignition on - Vauxhalls do this as well I think!!!!

I laughed out loud when I hear Clarkson describe the LED running lights on the A8 as fairy lights that you would see outside a council house at Christmas.
      10-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
jwbmw
Major

Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Good writeup Carl.

I don't really see the point of the dials sweeping around and back when you turn the ignition on - Vauxhalls do this as well I think!!!!

I laughed out loud when I hear Clarkson describe the LED running lights on the A8 as fairy lights that you would see outside a council house at Christmas.
R8!
jwbmw is offline   United Kingdom
      10-15-2007, 02:18 AM   #4
Z4 Beemer
Colonel

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to Z4 Beemer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbmw View Post
R8!
Exactly.

I was just checking to make sure someone was paying attention.
      10-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
330cdsport
Right Responsible

Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Good write-up Carlos.
I would have been surprised if that old revamped 3.0 TDI felt as quick at the 335d - even though Audi have the cheek to quote faster figures than the 335d

The 'council house at christmas time' comment on the LED lights was brilliant!!
330cdsport is offline   United Kingdom