E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Start-up and oil issues

04-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
NickBlaine
Private

Drives: '10 335XI

Start-up and oil issues

2010 335 with 53k miles.

About 4 weeks ago I started having issues with cold starts. The RPM's pulse up and down. The car stumbles, and wants to shut off. After this calms down, I tried driving the car. No power whatsoever. Anything over 2k RPMs it does nothing.

But, if I turn the car off, and right back on, no issues. I am not getting a CEL.

My other issue is oil. I brought up the fact that my oil light came on early before my last oil change (first since I owned the car), and the dealer said it was normal for the car to burn more oil in the winter. In the last 8k miles, my oil light has come on twice. I mainly drive highway miles, about 55 a day. I haven't noticed any leaks, and the last oil change the dealer said they didn't see any.

I never notice any discolored smoke, but sometimes it smells of hot/burning oil from the engine bay (more than normal).

Any suggestions?
      04-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Bear From Jax
Typical 335i Owner

Drives: AW/BL E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [5.00]
The engine stumble could be a number of things. Bad plugs... bad coils... bad fuel injectors.... I would bet plugs and/or coils since you say it seems to go away after it warms up (driving a little than restarting it)

335i's have a tendency to burn oil. Mine is a quart every 4-5000 miles... Which is my change interval for me personally. You're not going to see smoke unless it's a major issue, which doesn't sound like you have one. Now, the source of the issue can be numerous. Until the car is burning more than a quart every 5000 miles or so, I wouldn't worry too much. If it's more than that... Get your wallet ready because that's a spark that's going to be expensive to chase if you pay someone to do it.

E92 335i | AW/BL | JB4 G5 ISO | DCI | SLD | Muffler Delete | Bilstein B12 and MOAR to come
If speed is death, then buy a Honda and live forever
Bear From Jax is offline   United_States
      04-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
NickBlaine
Private

I have an extended warranty, so hopefully that would cover the issue.

In reference to the startup issue, I can turn the car on, directly back off, and back on again and the issue goes away. The only reason I tried driving it before restarting it was because it was the first couple times it had done it, and I was unaware that would fix it.
      05-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
NickBlaine
Private

Well dropped the car off this morning. It has only been 5K miles since my last oil change. 2 Qts in 5k miles (mostly highway driving) seems a bit much to me.

In the meantime, I will be driving a Dodge Grand Caravan since the dealer was out of loaners. THANKS ENTERPRISE! At least its got leather and xm radio.....
      05-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Transport3r
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Drives: N54 E92 & N52 Z4

Hot burning oil smell might be the valve cover gasket leaking onto the turbo manifolds. That would explain your leak to.

05-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
NickBlaine
Private

Just heard back from the dealer. HPFP is going out (startup issues), and my valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket are leaking. They said those gaskets weren't leaking bad enough to account for 2 quarts within 5k miles in their opinion, but time will tell.
      05-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
j1gilles
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBlaine View Post
Just heard back from the dealer. HPFP is going out (startup issues), and my valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket are leaking. They said those gaskets weren't leaking bad enough to account for 2 quarts within 5k miles in their opinion, but time will tell.
-They are right but those 2 gaskets could account for a quart or so of oil loss and maybe you burned (normal) the other quart..?
      05-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
NickBlaine
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
-They are right but those 2 gaskets could account for a quart or so of oil loss and maybe you burned (normal) the other quart..?
That makes sense. Going to get those replaced, and go from there. Hopefully this fixes the issue, and the car will run beautifully after this.