E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How loud is Performance Exhuast vs Muffler Delete?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
Rock&Roll
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA


Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

Talking How loud is Performance Exhuast vs Muffler Delete?

This question arose in my mind a couple of times but didn't get resolved until the day I swapped my muffler delete with BMW Performance Exhaust. Now, this is just a short example of a cold start. These two exhaust mods resonate completely different(inside and outside) but in real volume, they're probably about the same, if not the PE being a bit louder at peak rpms. What I love about PE is that it can be really tame and subtle or a roaring lion when wanted. The next question I have, how do I amplify the exhaust sound in my cabin?

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
uberbeast21
Captain
United_States
8

 
uberbeast21's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i e92 dinan S2
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: santa barbara CA


Posts: 658
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to uberbeast21
You can always go catless for more power and sound
__________________
e92 335i l Dinan stage II l VMR V710 l BMW PE l KW V1 l Cusco strut brace l Cyba 4"dry carbon l

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Rock&Roll
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA


Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

Thanks! I can't make up my mind if I should go with down pipes or delete my secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
26

 
AlpineSwift's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Castle Rock, CO


Posts: 2,110
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock&Roll
Thanks! I can't make up my mind if I should go with down pipes or delete my secondary cats.
Keep your secondaries and run downpipes. I have race cats in my mid pipes to cut down on the fumes (whole mid pipe back PE came off a previous customer e92 at ar design already assembled so it was a no brainer decision to combo with their DP's). Sound is very exotic, loud, and zero drone. Only complaint I have is cold start scares the shit out of anyone not ready for it within ear shot, but I've learned to live with it. Neighbors haven't shot me yet so I guess they don't mind either.
__________________
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP V2, ar design DP's, Race Cats in the mids, Stock cans, VRSF CP w/Tial BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS DCI, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Alpina TCU Flash, Turner Boost Gauge, Fully Coded.
Best 1/4mi: 13.201 @ 106.93 / 2.0 60' / DA=9300ft

Tanya: The Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #5
Rock&Roll
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA


Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Keep your secondaries and run downpipes. I have race cats in my mid pipes to cut down on the fumes (whole mid pipe back PE came off a previous customer e92 at ar design already assembled so it was a no brainer decision to combo with their DP's). Sound is very exotic, loud, and zero drone. Only complaint I have is cold start scares the shit out of anyone not ready for it within ear shot, but I've learned to live with it. Neighbors haven't shot me yet so I guess they don't mind either.
Hey AlpineSwift, I'm surprised you haven't gotten any complaints about your exhaust! My neighbors would've put a cork in my exhausts and as a bonus slit my tires. That's why I park my car inside the garage.
Do you have any clips of your exhaust?

On the serious note, it looks like deleting second cats would be only doing what N55 coupes have. Which I am assuming isn't as loud as deleting primary cats?
I've been getting really accustomed this exhaust and it seems to be getting quieter and quieter in my ears. Almost too quite.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
26

 
AlpineSwift's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Castle Rock, CO


Posts: 2,110
iTrader: (3)

Official Video from ar design after it was installed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...ages_video_set

I've gotten so used to it and my neighbors haven't had anything bad to say to me apart from cold start being a bit startling to them. Pretty easy to sneak through the neighborhood at low revs late at night so I'm happy.
__________________
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP V2, ar design DP's, Race Cats in the mids, Stock cans, VRSF CP w/Tial BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS DCI, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Alpina TCU Flash, Turner Boost Gauge, Fully Coded.
Best 1/4mi: 13.201 @ 106.93 / 2.0 60' / DA=9300ft

Tanya: The Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
Rock&Roll
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA


Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Official Video from ar design after it was installed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...ages_video_set

I've gotten so used to it and my neighbors haven't had anything bad to say to me apart from cold start being a bit startling to them. Pretty easy to sneak through the neighborhood at low revs late at night so I'm happy.
Alpine, thanks for the vid! Sounds beast

I think I've made up my mind. Downpipes are probably the smartest choice, considering the power gains are unbeatable. Plus, it will sounds great too!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:49 AM   #8
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
19

 
nitehawk's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto


Posts: 1,630
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock&Roll View Post
Alpine, thanks for the vid! Sounds beast

I think I've made up my mind. Downpipes are probably the smartest choice, considering the power gains are unbeatable. Plus, it will sounds great too!
You will need resonators with downpipes and PE othewise you will have rasp city
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
Rock&Roll
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA


Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
You will need resonators with downpipes and PE othewise you will have rasp city
Nitehawk, I haven't really noticed much rasp with just downpipes, unless if you remove second cats. Seems like downpipes make the engines vocal range just a little more aggressive than it is.
Do you have a PE with downpipes? Please let me know.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST