E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Frustrated! Car shaking while breaking

05-01-2014, 02:27 AM   #23
V8bait
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHarley View Post
Thanks. So there is no real technical reason for not turning the BMW rotors. IMO they are no different than any other rotor. All the reasons or cautions turning a rotor apply but there is really nothing special about a BMW rotor from what I can see.
The rotors are kinda soft so if they have to machine it much they *might* go below tolerance before your next pad change. But this is highly dependent on the pads and rotor combination... which is probably why the dealer doesn't want to take that risk, they might have more warranty claims and if the rotor doesn't get machined properly more unhappy customers. It's easier/better to just replace them.

Necessary though? Ehhhhhhh, is a condom really necessary every time? I mean I'm married to this bitch E92 it better not be necessary, but I'm sure it's a good idea if you're paranoid. Or if she's pulling tricks... that dirty little N54...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #24
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep

Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i

Stoptech has some great info about brakes on their technical whitepapers section.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #25
buylongterm
Private
Rep

Drives: 2010 BMW 335XI M package

WELL YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT THE WHOLE TIME!!!!

Here's the latest with this fiasco.

Took the car back to BMW. They came back and said "Your rotors are warped, and unfortunately BMW won't cover warped rotors under your warranty". I said "How in the hell did my rotors warp in one year? He stated "well, water can get on them, yada yada, yada. I told him I've driven Porsches, Mercedes, Audi, even shit ass american cars and I've never had a rotor warp especially due to rain!

If you remember, when I originally brought the car in, My brake status showed I had roughly 2K miles left on pads. When I picked the car up the first time, they reset it back to 47K miles due to a software update. They told me they would adjust that next time I brought the car in. Well guess what? They said "nope we measured your pads and you have well over 35K left. Again I said "How in Gods name can pads get better over time? Makes NO @#$@ SENSE! Sure, the vehicle status is a rough estimate, but to me way to much of a difference between 2K and 47K! (Yeah, I know it will adjust the pads, but It's been over two weeks and the miles haven't change.

So, I said "well what do I do now"? He said drive the car, and hope the rotors need replacement before your warranty runs out!! My response was "Your meaning to tell me, I have to drive the car now for a year with the problem, and pray to god my rotors go, and if they don't, I will end up paying in the long run"? He said "Yeah". I'm sorry that to me is unacceptable because if they would of diagnosed the problem correctly the first time, I wouldn't of shelled out 400.00 to fix rims that had nothing to do with my issue!!!!

Oh, he also told me that the bushing weren't perfect, but they are fine for now. However on the paperwork it stated they were majorly worn and damage, but I declined for them to replaced???

And just when you think it can't get worse........It does.

When I dropped off the loaner (a minivan, not that there is anything wrong with that) and picked up my car, it was a complete mess. (I just paid them 250.00 to do a full exterior and interior detail, which included fixing my seats that were faded). There was grease all over my seats including a major scuff mark! My carpets had mud on them, and there was marks all over the place. (waiting again for a call back from Mgr)

I have had it with them. NEVER GOING TO USE THEM AGAIN.

I think I should at least contact BMW CS and see if they can do anything. I understand the warranty part, but again, they insisted with an attitude that it wasn't bearing or rotors so I feel like that 400.00 was a complete waste and could of gone towards rotors. They should at least give them to me at cost, but I'm sure that is never going to happen.

Sorry to VENT, but this just pisses me off.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #26
kseyfi86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm View Post
So I took my car into the dealership because while breaking (around 60mph) the car shakes uncontrollably. They came back and said I have 3 severely bent RIMS and I need to buy 3 new ones. I then spoke with a well known wheel place and they told me they can definitely straighten and balance the RIMS, but even bent rims should not shake a car that bad.

I then called BMW back and told them what the wheel guy said and they told me (with an attitude) "We definitely checked everything out, and are confident it's the RIMS". So over the weekend, I got the RIMS straightened (2 front) and all 4 balanced. Still have the issue. SHOCKER!

Any suggestions as to whats wrong?

I'm pissed, and obviously going back to the dealership, but I have to travel this week and curious if the car is even safe to drive? (Probably too hard to speculate)
Rotors for sure
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #27
FCobra94
Major
Rep

Drives: '07 E90 335i

Damn, what a crappy experience OP. That dealership sucks

Go find a good indie shop and get some new pads/rotors thrown on their. Seems like you're on your own at this point, but at least you know what the problem is.
Winter: Style 159 - 17x8 ET34 - Michelin X-Ice Xi2 225/50/17 - 15mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #28
Jklad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

You may want to escalate with their manager or Bmw na if you are still under warranty. If they made you pay for something that was not the problem you came in for, could have a case. Also driving with warped rotors could be 'dangerous', an if they are warped, they have exceeded their usefulness, are worn out and need to be replace. Also good idea to verify all your warranty lingo
Appreciate 0