E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > E92 335i intro

05-02-2014, 03:32 AM   #89
JJH_335
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BSM E92 335i 6MT

Next upgrades

I now have these to go in:
  • Quaife ATB LSD
  • M3 rear control arms/wishbones
Quaife (QDF10N). There have been discussions just recently about which unit to go for but I decided on the Quaife because it is well proven. And proven over a long period and is held in high regard. That was more than enough to sway me. As my car is an 09/2006 build, I have a bolted crown gear so the LSD should be more straightforward to have installed.

The M3 rear arms are the OEM TRW ones. I will be installing these at the same time as the Quaife. Interesting to see any 'M' and 'BMW' serial numbers/logos have been ground off. Also going in is an M3 CDV will see how this works out. This CDV is definitely less restrictive than the stock ones I have seen. I've taken a photo of the M3 version and will do the same of the one that comes out for comparison.

Cobb AP | PTF Pro-Tune | ER FMIC | ER CP w/Forge DVs | AR catless DP | aFe DCI | Quaife | Michelin PSS on BBS CX-R | Eibach Pro Kit on Koni Yellows | ECS Tuning 2-pc front rotors StopTech Sport rears | Akebono Ceramic pads | ECS Tuning SS lines | M3 F & R Arms | M3 rear S-F bushes | M3 steering wheel | BMWP M3 Comp carbon lip | UUC SSK + ZHP | Pedal Haus pedal set | Cyba tips | RB PCV upgrade
JJH_335 is offline   Australia
      05-02-2014, 04:51 AM   #90
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT

Yup that diff shall make a world of difference!!

Re the CDV delete (or in your case the M3 CDV) I drove my car today and yup makes a massive difference. Sometimes it felt as though i would misshift and if you wanted a quick get away it wouldn't let you.

Whilst i havent launched the car i noticed its much quicker to engage and no more shitty gear changes!
      05-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #91
JJH_335
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Whilst i havent launched the car i noticed its much quicker to engage and no more shitty gear changes!
That's what I am hoping for ... thanks for the input dude!!
Cobb AP | PTF Pro-Tune | ER FMIC | ER CP w/Forge DVs | AR catless DP | aFe DCI | Quaife | Michelin PSS on BBS CX-R | Eibach Pro Kit on Koni Yellows | ECS Tuning 2-pc front rotors StopTech Sport rears | Akebono Ceramic pads | ECS Tuning SS lines | M3 F & R Arms | M3 rear S-F bushes | M3 steering wheel | BMWP M3 Comp carbon lip | UUC SSK + ZHP | Pedal Haus pedal set | Cyba tips | RB PCV upgrade
      06-05-2014, 01:59 AM   #92
JJH_335
Second Lieutenant

Update

No pics to show but I thought I would report on a couple of things.

Which LSD?
I considered Quaife and Wavetrac but was also aware of the MFactory option. TBH the MFactory has not been around long enough and I could not gather any evidence of its performance and longevity. It is no criticism of it, simply a question of guaranteed problem free service. I know they are much less expensive but it was still a gamble in my mind. Wavetrac has many fans and good reports but Quaife seems to better it from my research. That was enough for me.

Quaife install
Installation was initially problematic, only because no one here in Canberra had the special wrench needed to undo the locking nut that attaches the drive shaft to the differential assembly (!!!). Yes, really – not any of the independent workshops in town nor the local dealership. It seems that I was the first owner in Canberra who had wanted an E92 differential removed from his car. My mechanic was happy to order one in especially for the installation in my car. The installation process itself was problem free. I used Redline 75W90NS diff fluid (as ATB type LSDs must NOT have slip additive used on most clutch-type LSDs).

I have only driven the car a few times since but I can say I'm very pleased - it has transformed the car in a lot of ways. Most importantly, the car is also much more stable under hard acceleration as it seems that much more grip is now available. Corner exit under power is huge fun now too. Both situations I am sure have to do with the diff and also the upgrade to the rear M3 control arms. I decided to replace all the nuts and bolts associated with the install with new – here’s a parts list for the record.

Drive shaft nut 26 11 7 567 770 X1
Torx bolts 33 20 7 572 716 X12
Diff mount bolts 33 17 6 760 343 X3
Nut for diff bolt 33 32 6 760 380 X1

CDV
Only of interest for you manual guys. I had the stock CDV replaced with the M3 CDV (part no. 21 52 2 283 914), that does not have a restrictor. I still have not figured out why the M3 has a CDV when there is no restrictor – it’s pretty much a straight tube …. Result is a subtle but very noticeable improvement. The clutch is now much easier to modulate when starting off in 1st; the gear changes are much smoother and less vague feeling; the 1-2 gear change especially is so much smoother.

Last edited by JJH_335; 06-19-2014 at 06:42 PM.
      09-21-2014, 02:56 AM   #93
JJH_335
Second Lieutenant

Exterior updates

So, thanks to Drew335 who gave me a lead on a set of blackline window trims, I've now had them fitted up. While I was at it, I decided I would do some M3 skirts. I was always in two minds about them but I am stoked at the results as I think it blends in well and lifts the exterior. Overall, with the black trims and the new skirts, I am pretty much satisfied that I am done with the exterior.

With that done, I decided to do a bit of a shoot before the German Auto Day here in Canberra today.

09-21-2014, 03:25 AM   #94
LotusBMW
Fast Wagoner

Drives: E91 335i | E36 M3 and more...

Not traditionally a fan of black coupes but that looks the business. Job well done