E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 12.1 sec 115.2 mph quarter mile



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
TDIwyse
Major
21
Rep
1,134
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

iTrader: (0)

12.1 sec 115.2 mph quarter mile

This is with Ecotune's remap and downpipe and some of my custom stuff. Stock turbo's/intercooler.

A bit over a week ago this car dyno'd, with NO FANS blowing on it, peak 370 horsepower to the wheels and 538 lb-ft torque to wheels. On a stingy SuperFlow dyno with the biggest rollers they make so dually pickups can be strapped down and tested. Choose your drivetrain loss numbers to get back to engine/crank numbers, but using ~15% drivetrain loss would make things north of 435 hp at the crank...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=874

I don't particularly trust dyno's as they can be manipulated easily, and often over predict real world capability, and different dyno's will read different numbers for the same car. So I took the car back to God's Dyno ... the 1/4 mile.

Weather around here is hard to predict and schedule around. There was no chance of rain as of 6am this morning. But things didn't work out that way.

Weather history at the track location: http://www.wunderground.com/history/...yHistory.html?

Plugging those numbers in a DA calculator gives a Density Altitude of ~2100 ft. Very sub-par for good numbers...

First rain was ~30 mins before the racing was supposed to start. It takes them ~1 hr to re-prep the track after the rain ends. First passes started at 12:25. Was able to get 3 passes in before the next rain started. Had obligations late this afternoon so I headed out after the 3rd pull.

First pull I tried Hotrod's suggestion of 1st gear launch. It was a clown show even with the Hoosier DOT drag radials. Besides not having enough traction in 1st gear at the launch and spinning, the 2nd gear transition spun and kinda got the car a little off center for a moment ...

Second pull I went back to 2nd gear launch and used the water box. Even with a good burnout I spun the tires a lot on the launch. Too much boost/fueling at the start... But this run had the best trap speed of 115.9 mph!

Third pull was just ~30 seconds before the rain started again. Lowered the rear tire pressure to ~24 psi. Skipped the water box, did a quick burnout, and launched with less boost and didn't use full fueling until the car got going. Was just getting the hang of how to launch this thing...

Used the Torque App "Track Recorder" and have video as well overlaid with EGT's, boost, rpm and speed. Going to see if I can upload that to youtube if I have time today. Otherwise tomorrow.

Getting into the 11's is only a matter of having non sub-optimum conditions and getting a descent launch...

Took video using the Android Torque app's Track Recorder. Had it record EGT's, boost (it has to calculate it from other things...not direct measurement), and speed (the drag tires are a little bigger diameter than stock so the speed is off a tad). Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get the data displayed in the run from the raw video file. So I had to take a video of the playback of the Torque App Track Recorder to get the data to show up. I thought the EGT data was interesting considering how much power is being put to the wheels.



Got the raw video uploaded, but the data is not visible on this one. But the resolution is a lot better. You can also see the rain starting to hit the windshield right at the end.

Attached Images
 

Last edited by TDIwyse; 05-11-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Updated with link to raw video
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
32valves
Private
0
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

1/4 mile

Holy sh*t, that is awesome...

So how are you adjust boost and fuel pressure?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
Wrecker335d
Wondering what to do..
Wrecker335d's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
587
Posts

 
Drives: like a cock
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quantico or Long Island

iTrader: (3)

Pretty good numbers and power considering the limited availability of tunes we have.

Correct me if I am wrong though, but on a turbo car with electronic boost management, shouldn't DA have no effect? Intercooler efficiency might be slightly effected though.
__________________
Mods: JBD, 35% tint, Wagner Intercooler, Bilstien B12 Kit, M3 Control Arms

OEF Veteran
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
hotrod182
.
hotrod182's Avatar
84
Rep
3,461
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i, 06 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Congrats! The things definitely have 11's in them. I only took mine to the track the first and the last time the weekend before I got rid of the car.. But 11's are just a matter of dialing in everything. Are you still running the kittycatconv?
__________________
2011 Alpine 335d M-Sport 12.34 @ 110.48mph
2012 LEAF 130MPGe
2008 Black 335i Sedan. 11.11@ 129.47 mph,(8.39 sec 60-130 stock turboWR)
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph (N54 trap speed WR)
60-130mph: 6.95 seconds stock turbo WR (.16% slope)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
DieselRacer's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d M sport
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: AZ-NV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Are you in the USA or Europe, if in USA why not use Malone tuning or Rocketchip... what is Ecotune, are they from Scottland...
__________________
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 335d M sport...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #6
FormerRotor
Major
FormerRotor's Avatar
22
Rep
1,466
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

iTrader: (4)

Love seeing this!
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 05:31 AM   #7
TDIwyse
Major
21
Rep
1,134
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
Congrats! The things definitely have 11's in them. I only took mine to the track the first and the last time the weekend before I got rid of the car.. But 11's are just a matter of dialing in everything. Are you still running the kittycatconv?
Thanks. But I'm saddened to learn you got rid of your 335d. I enjoyed reading your posts and appreciated learning from your experiences. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

There are some things missing from the car at this time right after the turbo. The Ecotune downpipe really helped with EGT reduction.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 05:34 AM   #8
TDIwyse
Major
21
Rep
1,134
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valves View Post
Holy sh*t, that is awesome...

So how are you adjust boost and fuel pressure?
Thanks.

Boost is controlled only by the remap. I made some custom electronics that control the H2O/methanol and some other stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
TDIwyse
Major
21
Rep
1,134
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRacer View Post
Are you in the USA or Europe, if in USA why not use Malone tuning or Rocketchip... what is Ecotune, are they from Scottland...
USA. Ecotune is from Scottland. I'm familiar with Malone and Rocketchip from my VW TDI days, but not familiar with their 335d offerings.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 05:45 AM   #10
TDIwyse
Major
21
Rep
1,134
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
Pretty good numbers and power considering the limited availability of tunes we have.

Correct me if I am wrong though, but on a turbo car with electronic boost management, shouldn't DA have no effect? Intercooler efficiency might be slightly effected though.
My understanding (will have to look for references though) is that turbo engines are still impacted by DA, though not as much as natural aspirated ones. The turbo has to work harder to make the same peak boost numbers, which means it could (engine/design dependent) be going outside its efficiency range.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #11
TDIwyse
Major
21
Rep
1,134
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
My understanding (will have to look for references though) is that turbo engines are still impacted by DA, though not as much as natural aspirated ones. The turbo has to work harder to make the same peak boost numbers, which means it could (engine/design dependent) be going outside its efficiency range.
Here's a couple aviation based examples showing the difference between natural aspirated and turbo engines and DA impact.

http://yakimawpa.files.wordpress.com...ce-handout.pdf

https://www.mountaincanyonflying.com/DA%20Workbook.pdf

These are generalized and may not apply to our engines, but they show for every 1000' change natural aspirated engines loosing ~3% power and turbo engines loosing ~2.3%.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
DieselRacer's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d M sport
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: AZ-NV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
USA. Ecotune is from Scottland. I'm familiar with Malone and Rocketchip from my VW TDI days, but not familiar with their 335d offerings.
Just curious how you choose your tune company, I'm ready to get tuned just see so many different options without any real world opinions from people who have actually done it, for example Malone and Rocketchip for TDI is basically the same tune, Unitronic for the TDI was crap...all cost the same price and claim the same numbers...
__________________
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 335d M sport...

Last edited by DieselRacer; 05-11-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
TDIwyse
Major
21
Rep
1,134
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRacer View Post
Just curious how you choose your tune company, I'm ready to get tuned just see so many different options without any real world opinions from people who have actually done it, for example Malone and Rocketchip for TDI is basically the same tune, Unitronic for the TDI was crap...all cost the same price and claim the same numbers...
Because... if it's not Scottish, it's crap.



Actually, it was largely because Stan at Ecotune was willing to go forward on the remap and downpipe and other aspects that the previous company I used (Evolve) was not. And he had a lot of good feedback from the European 335d owners.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
DieselRacer's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d M sport
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: AZ-NV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Because... if it's not Scottish, it's crap.



Actually, it was largely because Stan at Ecotune was willing to go forward on the remap and downpipe and other aspects that the previous company I used (Evolve) was not. And he had a lot of good feedback from the European 335d owners.
Thanks im going to check into it, I saw they have a USA dealer now, my family lives in Newton Iowa, cool to see you are there also, I talked with Malone and Rocketchip who both have tunes for the same price as the Ecotune now im going to try to find out how these 3 tunes compare...
__________________
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 335d M sport...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 03:03 AM   #15
starrfyr
Private
United_States
0
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV Giga
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
TDIwyse is my hero.
__________________
2014 i3 BEV Giga

2011 E90 M57y, ZPP, 248, 494, 655, 6FL
SOLD and will be missed
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #16
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
AzureHaze's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,580
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfyr View Post
TDIwyse is my hero.
+1.
__________________
Mods: JBD @ 100% | Weisslicht LED side lenses | CF pillar trim | Cyba 4" dry carbon tips | CF trunk spoiler | LUX H8 V3 | 193M w/ Michelin PSS | BMS 12/15mm spacers | LTMW CF interior wrap | BSW Stage 1 | CF shifter trim | CF steering wheel trim | m-sport steering wheel | CF pedal set | CF license plate frames | Ziza LED interior kit | Euro side mirrors | M3 rep front bumper | Coded
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #17
2deerwhistlers
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
363
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Albany NY

iTrader: (0)

Looks like if you can get your 330 foot time down you'll be in the low 11s... That's motivation
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #18
TDIwyse
Major
21
Rep
1,134
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

iTrader: (0)

Controlling the launch is the main problem now. AWD would really help a lot. Wish I would've been able to do 1 or 2 more pulls...

Maybe I need to have more than ~1/8 tank of fuel to add some more weight on the back end?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #19
2deerwhistlers
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
363
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Albany NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Controlling the launch is the main problem now. AWD would really help a lot. Wish I would've been able to do 1 or 2 more pulls...

Maybe I need to have more than ~1/8 tank of fuel to add some more weight on the back end?
More fuel in the tank and stickier tires maybe?(I know you already have some sort of drag radials) Like I mentioned before, I've always had a hell of a time hooking up on a drag strip with my trucks.. Night and day compared to regular road.. I'm very impressed, and excited to get my tune from redline
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #20
Yozh
Captain
Yozh's Avatar
Canada
12
Rep
648
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wet Coast

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Controlling the launch is the main problem now. AWD would really help a lot. Wish I would've been able to do 1 or 2 more pulls...

Maybe I need to have more than ~1/8 tank of fuel to add some more weight on the back end?
May be some suspension mods are called for?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #21
Hoooper
Major
13
Rep
1,020
Posts

 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hayward, CA

iTrader: (0)

how much info do you have on those drag radials? 24 PSI seems like a lot, I used to run 15 PSI in my drag radials (different car) but the 18-20 psi range seems to be a sweet spot for those Hoosiers. FWIW, I had slightly better 60' times on stock runflats with much less power, so the time is definitely there to be picked up if you put in some time practicing the launch. Do you think you are getting enough heat into the tire? I bet with the right combination of pressure and heat you would be surprised by how much you can get out of those tires, they are sticky enough to put 3300 lb Mustangs into the 1.2-1.5 60' club so you can definitely get into the 1.8s with some work, maybe even better. A couple PSI can make a huge difference in those.

With that said, this is pretty awesome. Wouldnt mind going 12.1 in mine...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #22
TDIwyse
Major
21
Rep
1,134
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
how much info do you have on those drag radials? 24 PSI seems like a lot, I used to run 15 PSI in my drag radials (different car) but the 18-20 psi range seems to be a sweet spot for those Hoosiers. FWIW, I had slightly better 60' times on stock runflats with much less power, so the time is definitely there to be picked up if you put in some time practicing the launch. Do you think you are getting enough heat into the tire? I bet with the right combination of pressure and heat you would be surprised by how much you can get out of those tires, they are sticky enough to put 3300 lb Mustangs into the 1.2-1.5 60' club so you can definitely get into the 1.8s with some work, maybe even better. A couple PSI can make a huge difference in those.

With that said, this is pretty awesome. Wouldnt mind going 12.1 in mine...
Thanks.

Well ... I'm a novice at this. I've done less than 10 pulls at the track. Think your suggestion for lower pressure is good. I'll be going to lower psi from the start the next time I try. I drove to the track with the tires on and they were at 40 psi for the drive. Lowered them to ~30 psi for the first 2 launches before lowering psi even further for that last run. I don't like practicing this kind of start as it seems really hard on the vehicle's drivetrain...

It seemed to grip much better on the last run. This could be due to the lower psi or doing a dry burnout pre-launch as opposed to going thru the water box and doing a burnout like I did on the first two. Not sure what your experience is on this? Water box or no water box?

Might start out at ~20 psi next time. Hopefully I can align schedule/wxr/track openings again sometime soon.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST